Author Topic: Bicycle quick detach project box  (Read 805 times)

Offline McMonsterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
Bicycle quick detach project box
« on: July 14, 2018, 05:22:18 pm »
Hi, I'm looking for an idea for a quick detachable box for mounting some electronics on a bicycle. Needs to be able to stay in a more or less stable position. I've experimented with various screw-tightened camera mounts, but they are tedious to put on and off. And I've already broken multiple of those by tightening them barely enough to keep just the camera stable.

It'll problably be a one-off project for me and maybe some of my friends, so it's ok if it needs some hacking to adapt. But if there is something that can easily reproducible in larger numbers then I'm also interested.

Online Twoflower

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Bicycle quick detach project box
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 07:23:22 pm »
I think you should be more specific. What weight and size we're talking about? Where should it be mounted?

The first idea I had was something like the holder part of this: https://www.ortlieb.com/wp-content/themes/ortlieb-theme/pdf/anleit/ultimate6.pdf with a 3D printed counterpart.

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 07:40:56 pm »
Not much, probably the size of a larger handheld multimeter and below 0.5 kg in weight. As for mounting place, preferably on the handlebar, but anywhere in the front of a bike would be fine.

Online Twoflower

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 07:58:48 pm »
The holder from Ortlieb I posted earlier matches the position, can handle up to 5kg and extremely durable. I'm using that thing and never faced problems and it stays in position. The holder cost 20€ and is sold separately. But there are most likely cheaper solutions similar to that one. If you scarify a decent quality bike basket you might get the both parts (holder and detachable part) together for little money.

If you think ybout the Ortlieb part. Look at the picture you can see that the counterpart could be made very simple. One bar to grab behind the upper claws of the holder. And for the lower part a bend steel wire to latch into the grey snapper in the lower part (it opens if you press the key down). And as a plus: You can lock it, still the lock isn't very good.

If you like I can post a picture of the part that grabs on to that holder.

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 08:20:01 pm »
Thanks, it looks to be a good concept. I'll order a cheaper alternative and see if it works well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf