Author Topic: Build your own IBM PC 5150 clone  (Read 31943 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Build your own IBM PC 5150 clone
« on: September 29, 2016, 11:53:34 pm »
Order the kit from here: http://www.mtmscientific.com/pc-retro.html

There is a video by Computerphile about this kit

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:35:09 am by Halcyon »

The following users thanked this post: TheBay

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
Re: Build your own IBM PC clone
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 11:56:25 pm »
About 20 years ago where I worked there was a new, unused 8088 motherboard in an anti-static bag in the junk pile. I should have taken it.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
Re: Build your own IBM PC 5150 clone
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:27:35 am »
years ago, i used and sold some nec clones of the 5150.

does anyone have the original ps/2? :) ibm's reasoning behind the use of smts there was laughable, looking back.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 10:32:20 am »
does anyone have the original ps/2? :)

Not an original. I've got an IBM PS/2 Model 30 8530 on the desk next to me. 10MHz 286 with a 20MB hard disk. I loved this particular model because it was one of the ones which have ISA slots, not that bloody MCA rubbish.

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:31:33 am »
does anyone have the original ps/2? :)

Not an original. I've got an IBM PS/2 Model 30 8530 on the desk next to me. 10MHz 286 with a 20MB hard disk. I loved this particular model because it was one of the ones which have ISA slots, not that bloody MCA rubbish.

MCA, technically superior apparently but subject to IBM licensing so never popular beyond IBM kit and always expensive compared to the ISA equiv.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 12:51:27 pm »
the problem is with that project from mtm scientific, you need an original XT case as the ISA slot width was different to what became standard later with at/atx casing. only original XT cases fit this board.

I built this, http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/xi-8088

its an 8088 xt board, basically an 8088 sbc, fits in 8bit isa slot. very cool, easy to make.

-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 02:13:15 pm »
bloody MCA rubbish.

like VHS vs. betamax: what's popular isn't necessarily superior.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 05:23:50 pm »
 My first MS-DOS computer was very much like that computer on an ISA board design, there was no motherboard, just a card slot backplane, and the main system was on one card with the memory and some other stuff on a second card. One extra switch on the back of the CPU card toggles between 8MHz and 4.77MHz operation for running timing dependent programs. I later enhanced it with an 8087 math corprocessor (really sped up PSPICE simulations) and a NEC V20 CPU.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 05:48:50 pm »
That is interesting; I didn't know there were PC compatible computers that had a backplane instead of a motherboard and the cpu was on a card.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 06:03:52 pm »
That is interesting; I didn't know there were PC compatible computers that had a backplane instead of a motherboard and the cpu was on a card.

my Xi8088 is basically an XT with a backplane, I also have a 486 in a backplane. These are more or less 'industrial' control stuff, even tho its no different from sitting on your desktop, but the isa backplane evolved into the PICMG stuff which is like a PCI slot tacked above an ISA slot. you can get modern day cpu on these cards for backplanes.

you can see my xi8088 project log and my 80486 log on my projects page; http://kråketær.com

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 07:09:12 pm »
About fifteen years ago there were about 50 of the original ibm xt or at computers in a container outside in the rain of a metal scrapyard. I asked and they wanted around 10 euros a piece. I thought hard and could not figure out what to do with them except for nostalgia. I went home with an empty trunk and still do not regret it. What on earth would you seriously consider using it for today?

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 08:13:24 pm »
About fifteen years ago there were about 50 of the original ibm xt or at computers in a container outside in the rain of a metal scrapyard. I asked and they wanted around 10 euros a piece. I thought hard and could not figure out what to do with them except for nostalgia. I went home with an empty trunk and still do not regret it. What on earth would you seriously consider using it for today?

As a memento to a time when IBM was more than a consulting firm with some legacy hardware/software.  Actually, the IBM PC marks a demarcation in time -- before IBM was the leader and pioneer of the computer industry and after ... not so much.  By the late 80's Bill Gates, when asked about his relationship with IBM said, "IBM is irrelevant!"

Brian

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 09:10:49 pm »
What on earth would you seriously consider using it for today?

why do people collect anything retro or vintage? we get some enjoyment from it.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 10:00:10 pm »
Yes i can understand collecting the original , collecting retro, but this topic was to build a replica a clone which has no collector value of any kind? The only reason to buy and build one is or for the hobby to solder something or for someone to actually use it for something. I was wondering what that would be?  :-//

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 10:11:57 pm »
Yes i can understand collecting the original , collecting retro, but this topic was to build a replica a clone which has no collector value of any kind? The only reason to buy and build one is or for the hobby to solder something or for someone to actually use it for something. I was wondering what that would be?  :-//

For shits and giggles. It's not really designed to be a collectors item and not everyone can afford to buy a used IBM PC (original or otherwise) and even though you're basically just following the silk screen it's still nice to build something yourself. It'd be great for young players, it gives an appreciation of how far we've come with computing.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 10:38:37 pm »
the problem is with that project from mtm scientific, you need an original XT case as the ISA slot width was different to what became standard later with at/atx casing. only original XT cases fit this board.

its an 8088 xt board, basically an 8088 sbc, fits in 8bit isa slot. very cool, easy to make.

The original PC was 1" spacing between the ISA slots, the XT was the now standard 3/4".

In 1994/1995 built a CNC PCB router using an XT mainboard that I paid $10 for .

I might have to build one of those boards to put in the slots of my Amiga 2000 :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:40:48 pm by eugenenine »

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 12:06:02 am »
The original PC was 1" spacing between the ISA slots, the XT was the now standard 3/4".

In 1994/1995 built a CNC PCB router using an XT mainboard that I paid $10 for .

I might have to build one of those boards to put in the slots of my Amiga 2000 :)

yes, the 5150 with 5 slots is not standard isa slot spacing. that came later with the xt, 5160.

you need a 'bridgeboard' for your amiga. they are an SBC that plugs into the zorro slot that also connects to the isa slot.. (incase you did not know what a bridgeboard was.... I dont think many amigans had them)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 02:16:41 am »

Why isn't there an FPGA on that board?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 06:08:21 pm »

As a memento to a time when IBM was more than a consulting firm with some legacy hardware/software.  Actually, the IBM PC marks a demarcation in time -- before IBM was the leader and pioneer of the computer industry and after ... not so much.  By the late 80's Bill Gates, when asked about his relationship with IBM said, "IBM is irrelevant!"

Brian

I still have my old 5150.  Dusted it off to run Trixter's 8088mph demo.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?47084-Trixter-s-latest-magic-Holy-how-in-the-hell!!!&s=99c622b4cd72a8e59de449fdae0a1e35&highlight=8088mph

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 06:15:05 pm »
Someone had posted this link to help identify the various versions of the 5150.  Mine appears to be a mid version with the black supply with red label but five screw case.   

http://minuszerodegrees.net/5150/early/5150_early.htm

Attempting to turn the thing on after many years.....

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 11:53:31 pm »
I wish I hadn't gotten rid of mine, but when the city turned our neighborhood into a ghetto we had to move and I had to get rid of a lot of stuff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 03:38:07 am »
Attempting to turn the thing on after many years.....

Thanks for posting that! What a cool machine. Looks like it's in great condition.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 04:30:09 am »
I doubt it's worth anything to a collector but I have fond memories of playing with these computers when I was younger.  This was a board I had designed for the IBM-AT that I then wrote some software to do some speech recognition. 

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 10:30:20 am »
When I saw the kit, my first reaction was: COOL - I WANT TO HAVE THAT!

But then...
...I looked at the price of the kit: US$ 150 excluding shipping and customs to EU.

And then, thinking further about this:

- no power supply
- no graphics card
- no keyboard
- no monitor
- no disk drives

Hmmm...

Guess it would be MUCH cheaper to just buy an IBM XT on eBay, do I did a quick search and you can get the original 5150 from 150-900 Euro in working condition. At 150-200 Euro you get the working computer with disk drives, the one at 900 Euro was complete in mint condition with monitor.

And then I wondered: why bother? Just run DOSBOX or visit http://www.pcjs.org/...

So basically, my excitement lasted about 10 minutes. But thanks to the OP for the memories!  :-+

Regards,
Vitor

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 02:01:14 pm »
Space issue also.  I don't have a place to put an XT and monitor and keyboard.  Most of my computers are Raspberry Pi's running headless to save space.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf