Author Topic: building a new computer  (Read 3840 times)

Offline sony mavicaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
building a new computer
« on: March 23, 2017, 06:29:02 am »
can't be bothered fixing up my old computer now since September last year its been having problems with the PSU after i dusted it out it worked again up in till about a week ago so i rather build a new one or maybe buy one if its not going to cost that much more then if i built one i know PSU cost like $75NZD or so but i really don't wanna bother with this pc and i have saved up some money and have $295 coming from youtube too and i would like something a lot better then what i have now

my computer is a i7 2600k 8gb ram dvb-t tv card nvidia gforce gts 450 2x 1tb hdd but i will keep them as they are still in good nick and work fine and i need the files on them

i was wanting to know what is the best cpu out there i should get and what video card i should look at getting i think i will try and get 16gb ram if i have enough money maybe 32gb

any help would be great

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 06:31:52 am by sony mavica »
MORE POWER!

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
Re: building a new computer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 06:32:52 am »
*than. Both times.

The following users thanked this post: sony mavica

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 06:36:37 am »
*than. Both times.

sorry i have Dyslexia
MORE POWER!

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 06:56:13 am »
what ever you decide to go with, pay the $100 or whatever to get the water cooled heatsink for the CPU. I have the Corsair one, and it works awesome. No problems, and you never have to change out the fluid. It's completely sealed.  You may have to modify your case though to make the radiator/fans fit. I just cut a hoel in the top of my case, and the fan blows out the top. Works great.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 09:45:27 am »
can't be bothered fixing up my old computer now since September last year its been having problems with the PSU after i dusted it out it worked again up in till about a week ago so i rather build a new one or maybe buy one if its not going to cost that much more then if i built one i know PSU cost like $75NZD or so but i really don't wanna bother with this pc and i have saved up some money and have $295 coming from youtube too and i would like something a lot better then what i have now

my computer is a i7 2600k 8gb ram dvb-t tv card nvidia gforce gts 450 2x 1tb hdd but i will keep them as they are still in good nick and work fine and i need the files on them

i was wanting to know what is the best cpu out there i should get and what video card i should look at getting i think i will try and get 16gb ram if i have enough money maybe 32gb

any help would be great
What do you use your computer for?

Do you game, perform video editing, use 3D CAD?

Or do you just use it for the Internet, word processing and general office use?

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 01:45:07 pm »
For builds in the 1200-2000USD range, there is no better CPU on the market ATM than the Ryzen 1700X. It's a price to performance baby. Intel isn't behind though, if you're pushing more money, Intel has you covered.

There is also really macgyvery shit you can try like a Sandy/Ivy bridge server machine. A couple of them in a dual CPU board will wallop a Ryzen in multithreaded tasks any day of the week. You can also get a barebones server type thing. I saw one the other day with 4 4/8 core/thread Xeons with 32GB of RAM for 200USD (60USD Shipping) Throw the rest of your money into a kick ass SSD and GPU, and you've got yourself a beast of a multithreaded machine. Just add Linux or another OS that can take that many CPU sockets.

It does heavily depend on what task is at hand. A lot of higher end CAD, video editing, and 3D modeling can take GREAT advantage of loads of threads and cores, but for gaming, I'd say stick with Ryzen as the single core performance is a lot higher, and for gaming tasks that rarely take anything but 4 threads, Ryzen will be your best bet. Intel IMO is currently going to pull a rabbit out of it's hat to do something about Ryzen, so don't grab anything brand new from them.

But after you have figured out use, you need to figure out price. What is the monetary number you are working with? That's basically the deciding factor for what you get. If money is not a problem, then sky is the limit with computing, so there will always be a number.

I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 02:04:54 pm »
 Depends on what you want to use it for. Add RAM to what you have and step up to a more modern video card like a 970 and it will be plenty usable for most things.

Water cooler? Not unless you are planning on overclocking. I don't care if it's all integrated instead of components, I just don't see the point for normal use. Overclocking, sure.

My main machine is a 4 core Xeon of the same generation, back when I built it I had a GTX480 video card in it, all I've done is change out the video card for a GTX970 and put in an SSD and it has plenty fo power to play anything I play with high detail settings.

CERTAINLY more than enough for web browsing, app development, even SQL server and running VMs.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 02:52:03 pm »

Other than power consumption, the 2600K is still a decent processor. Are you sure you don't want to replace the PSU?

The legibility of your post would be greatly improved with some interpunction. Just a friendly tip :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 07:37:42 pm »
what i will be using the pc for is video editing sometimes 4k but mostly 1080p and compressing the video to h.265 playing some games from time to time maybe like 2/3 times a week browsing the internet and watching and sometime recording dvb-t tv and also photoshop

MORE POWER!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 07:43:19 pm »
what i will be using the pc for is video editing sometimes 4k but mostly 1080p and compressing the video to h.265 playing some games from time to time maybe like 2/3 times a week browsing the internet and watching and sometime recording dvb-t tv and also photoshop
If the emphasis is on video editing, the new AMD processors are the way to go. If the emphasis is on gaming, both Intel and AMD could be argued to be the best option, depending on how quickly you think games start using all the cores of an AMD chip and which Intel model you buy exactly. The rest of the things you want to do is small fries.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 12:37:20 am »
I disagree. You can get VERY high performing Intel chips for VERY cheap.

I found this gem of a system that while using legacy gear, could be very useful for multithreading applications like that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R900-16-Core-2-5-Server-2-4GHz-32GB-PERC6i-2PS-2-Trays-/181454812802?hash=item2a3f8cb682:g:rgkAAOSwLEtYkQWO&autorefresh=true

I am aware you are in NZ, but this is an idea of where to start. Servers are always being pulled and replaced from somewhere, so get them when you can. This isn't great for low threaded or single threaded applications like gaming, but when you have a program that has no problem making good use of loads of cores, getting cheap intel servers is a great thing to do.

AMD is alright, but their architectures have been weak after the jump from K7 to K8. Zen is a new spin on things, but they are new, and no mach for loads of Intel CPUs in a box.

Rendering tasks can make use of a load of weak, cheap cores, and while the memory may be a tad of an issue, there is a lot of it, and there are a lot of channels, so that might help balance a few things out.

I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 02:08:26 am »
I disagree. You can get VERY high performing Intel chips for VERY cheap.

I found this gem of a system that while using legacy gear, could be very useful for multithreading applications like that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R900-16-Core-2-5-Server-2-4GHz-32GB-PERC6i-2PS-2-Trays-/181454812802?hash=item2a3f8cb682:g:rgkAAOSwLEtYkQWO&autorefresh=true

The processors in that server are almost 10 years old. These machines are slow and consume huge amounts of power. They are decommissioned for a reason. They are great fun if you want to build a test lab for complicated network setups, but as a day to day computer, they are rather terrible.

Finding reliable benchmarks for machines that old is not easy, which in itself is probably telling. After some digging I came up with numbers for Cinebench R15 that can be compared at least roughly. Assuming that server houses four Xeon E7440s, the only Xeon of that generation clocked at 2,4 GHz, it will score around 65 points per core, or a little over a 1000 points total in Cinebench. Meanwhile, the current 2600K that sony mavica owns does more that a 130 points per core, or a little over 600 points total, vastly outperforming the Xeon server in anything that requires a fast single thread. Games will perform a lot better on the old 2600K than on this server. Rendering a video will probably be faster on the server than on the 2600K.

When we compare new, current day chips to the server, the differences become huge. The Intel 6900K does close to 1600 points, with about 165 points per core. The AMD 1800X scores close to 1700 points in Cinebench, with around 170 points per core. Single thread speed and all cores combined are both vastly faster than the old Xeon processors. We have not even touched upon overclocking, power consumption, noise and compatibility issues :)

AMD is alright, but their architectures have been weak after the jump from K7 to K8. Zen is a new spin on things, but they are new, and no mach for loads of Intel CPUs in a box.

Bulldozer was far from ideal, but Zen is a nice architecture. By now, we have enough reviews to safely say that AMD is in close competition with modern Intel chips. The IPC of AMD chips is better than Skylake and Broadwell-E, yet the chips are much cheaper. An 1800X will outperform a 6900X, yet the former costs $500 and the latter $1000. Both vastly outperform chips from 2008. The 7700K takes the IPC cake, but obviously has less cores.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:14:58 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 02:46:02 am »
Skylake and Kabylake both have slightly higher IPC than Zen, which has equivalent IPC of Broadwell, according to AMD's official benchmarks.

IPC is a fluid metric, but most will agree Ryzen outperforms Broadwell and is outperformed by Kaby Lake.

It also doesn't support killer features of X99 such as Thunderbolt, 40 PCIe lanes, and it's harder to run its memory controller at anywhere above DDR4 2400, while Intel's overclockable SKUs can easily run with over 3000MHz DDR4 sticks.

It should be noted that AMD is very likely to release an HEDT plaform in the near future with features like 8 channel memory and 16 cores and 32 threads. It is expected to be the deskop version of their Naples server platform. Even though Ryzen is competing with Intel's HEDT line-up, it is actually not AMD's HEDT line. The really high performance stuff is yet to come.

It really is exciting to finally see the first serious competition in years. Regardless of your brand preferences, everyone benefits from two multinationals having a go at each other.

The following users thanked this post: sony mavica, blueskull

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 10:56:52 am »
Did you read what I wrote? I mentioned that that sort of machine would be TERRIBLE for single core applications, but for applications that can really take advantage of multiple cores, it's a VERY good machine. And that is what his application requires. Video editing and compression would bathe in this stuff.

It's also an example. Large budget means larger spending on more powerful CPUs. I mean the performance isn't terrible, it passmarks over 7000, so that x4 can easily beat out most single desktop CPUs in applications that can make perfect use of it.

For gaming, yea, keep the 2600k. I mean if you're talking modern gaming, I'd almost be willing to say the CPU may be able to handle it, but no doubt a newer i7 will DEFINITELY run better than the Xeons.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 05:25:36 pm »
Did you read what I wrote? I mentioned that that sort of machine would be TERRIBLE for single core applications, but for applications that can really take advantage of multiple cores, it's a VERY good machine. And that is what his application requires. Video editing and compression would bathe in this stuff.
Yes, but the numbers do not really add up. A modern 7700K scores about the same as this server in fully mulithreaded workloads. The new Ryzen chips outperform it significantly by roughly 60%. Of course, the server is a little cheaper to buy, but you pay for that with noise, massive power consumption and suboptimal compatibility. If you actually try doing any work, that power draw of 500 watts or more becomes costly quickly. Please note that many datacenters refuse housing these servers due to their excessive power consumption and have been for some while.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf