Author Topic: Bulls##t ?  (Read 14541 times)

Offline JblissTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Bulls##t ?
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:56:48 am »
How do they get away with this bull shit 
http://www.audioquest.com/power-cables/nrg-10

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Bulls##t ?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:09:50 am »
Because there are enough dumb people that buy there stuff.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:24:16 am »
and of course no sign of datasheet or proper measurements... just magic words.

Anyway this one:
http://studiozey.com/

see also here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/the-snake-oil-thread/msg739875/#msg739875

is surely my top 1 regarding audio idiots...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:28:34 am by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:29:26 am »
and of course no sign of datasheet or proper measurements... just magic words.

You can't measure this stuff. Nobody has ever made a meter as sensitive as the combination of the ear and brain. Only a human can determine the width of a sound stage or the darkness of the background.

She's a witch, burn her!

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:31:41 am »
You can't measure this stuff.

thanks, that's why after a good cold beer my stereo sounds so much better.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:16:22 am »
It says the cable is made from solid, rather than stranded cores which won't comply with the electrical regulations in most countries which is dangerous and shouldn't be sold.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 08:57:15 am »
How do they get away with this bull shit 
http://www.audioquest.com/power-cables/nrg-10

You are just jealous because you didn't figure out a way to minimize distortion caused by grain boundaries :)

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 09:54:14 am »
You can't measure this stuff.

thanks, that's why after a good cold beer my stereo sounds so much better.

Everything sounds better after a beer (particularly my voice).

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 10:15:00 am »

http://www.audioquest.com/hdmi/diamond

Aside from other pearls we got:
DIRECTIONALITY: All audio cables are directional. The correct direction is determined by listening to every batch of metal conductors used in every AudioQuest audio cable. All signal conductors controlled for digital-audio direction in AudioQuest HDMI cables, and care is even taken to run the conductors used in the Audio Return Channel in the opposite direction to ensure the best performance for that application. Arrows are clearly marked on the connectors to ensure superior sound quality.

Now, I can understand how people assume (although wrongly) that buying a 10kUSD cable might affect their analog setup, but digital?

I'm kinda sad right now...
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:27:37 am »
Because there are enough dumb people that buy there stuff.

What's worse is these con artists go home at night with pockets full of money and feel good about it.  Taking advantage of people, smart or not is a crime against humanity. 

I'd say they'll get what's coming to them, but that usually doesn't happen, they just move on to the next thing, like the Batteriser, LMAO.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 10:44:39 am »
I've cabled a few studios, and never used any exotic media... Just good honest professional cables well laid.  Connectors, buy the best you can.
The rest is total BS
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 10:48:25 am »
You'll do far more good by crossing other cables at 90-degrees!!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 10:55:54 am »
It says the cable is made from solid, rather than stranded cores which won't comply with the electrical regulations in most countries which is dangerous and shouldn't be sold.

They further say:-"The negative conductors in NRG-10 are insulated with partially conductive Carbon-Loaded Polyethylene"

Its ac ,morons!--it doesn't have a negative conductor.
Partially conductive?----for a Mains cable?

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 11:49:19 am »
They're not wrong. Half of the time one of the conductors is negative.

They also have found that audio cables are directional. That must be why it sounds so bad here, I've used it the wrong way!
Too bad they don't have color enhancing hdmi cables.

Ah, Dutch people... They claim to have worked at Bose on their linkedin. Hmm, sure Bose isn't this fake?
http://www.audioquest.com/contactmap/#netherlands

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 11:58:03 am »
Of course these cables work after all you spent the money on them and it cannot possibly be that you would use and wasted your money and that you were tricked because you were not clever enough. We were invited to Christmas dinner at my sister's father-in-law to be house and I had to employ every ton of diplomacy I could scrape from my brain and not tell him that the system he was proudly showing me and cost him far more than it should have and that all those gold plated power cables and signal cables were a load of bullocks.

It works because you believe it does. At the end of the day I think most people who spend these exorbitant amounts of money on these stupid products obviously have the money to burn and perhaps deserve be duped for not applying a minimum amount of rational thought. On the other hand I'd like to crucify the perpetrators.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 12:07:01 pm »
Years ago I heard a spectacular system which was a gold plated turntable connected to a pair of 300B triode mono-bloc amps and some lovely speakers. It sounded magnificent. No, it really sounded spectacular, it just that the recording didn't sound like the mastering engineer intended it to. As far as sound, it had a lovely warm sound with plenty of harmonic distortion but it was not what the record was intended to sound like.

If I wanted to listen to a distorted recording, I could do it far cheaper. When I listen to a recording, I want to hear what the mixing engineer heard in the studio at final mixdown. The mastering engineer tries to take this and massage it so it sounds as close to that as possible on the systems we mere mortals use. Single ended, transformer coupled triodes are not those systems.

Gold plated cables, stickers designed to absorb negative energy and interconnects with electrically biased insulation don't help.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 12:12:13 pm »
I took a cheap amplifier from eBay and connect the up to a pair of speakers. But it did not sound very good. So I decided to improve matters and got a pair of 100 W Wharfedale speakers and connected to them to my puny little 2W amplifier it sounded like heaven. Stock cables and everything and ate shitty little amplifier of eBay one of those things racially fought hundred watts when you know damn well it would just about  2. The speakers are often the crappyest thing at the end of a system no amount of cables will fix that

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 01:09:37 pm »
I took a cheap amplifier from eBay and connect the up to a pair of speakers. But it did not sound very good. So I decided to improve matters and got a pair of 100 W Wharfedale speakers and connected to them to my puny little 2W amplifier it sounded like heaven. Stock cables and everything and ate shitty little amplifier of eBay one of those things racially fought hundred watts when you know damn well it would just about  2. The speakers are often the crappyest thing at the end of a system no amount of cables will fix that

You can spend more than 100k quid on a single speaker easily  ^-^ But a pair of nice speakers from a known vendor for about 400-800 quid is more than sufficient. With a decent amp you can feel the bass with your feet and some classic music will give you the creeps (and maybe an angry neighbour).

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 01:16:26 pm »
:
It works because you believe it does...
Gosh, that sounds like dating sites and religion!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 01:16:49 pm »
my set of 2 warfdale 100W speakers came to me from a charity shop for the vast sum of 50p (£0.50). I normally use them in my living room connected to a car amplifier that was thrown out by someone at work because he was too stupid to work out how to get it to turn on. The resulting system is hooked up to my DVD player for when friends come round. The comment that one person made when hearing it for the first time was that is was like being at the cinema.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 01:17:26 pm »
:

well religion never had any effect on me, I seem to have non in women in real life ;)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 01:46:38 pm »
my set of 2 warfdale 100W speakers came to me from a charity shop for the vast sum of 50p (£0.50). I normally use them in my living room connected to a car amplifier that was thrown out by someone at work because he was too stupid to work out how to get it to turn on. The resulting system is hooked up to my DVD player for when friends come round. The comment that one person made when hearing it for the first time was that is was like being at the cinema.

Nice bargain! I got a speaker kit with Pioneer drivers, classic design with 2 x bass, midrange and treble. And for the PC it's a pair of inexpensive and small Magnat studio speakers connected to a TDA1519 powered by the PC's ATX PSU. Much better than any Logitech satellite-subwoofer-system. And of course, no directional power or speaker wires  >:D

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 01:52:01 pm »
:

It's called cognitive dissonance. It makes you think that the stereo sounds betters because you can't admit (to yourself) paying a lot of money for nonsense.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 01:54:37 pm »
people with money will spend exorbitant amounts on things they know only few can afford just because they can and gives them a warm fuzzy feeling. The rest of us prefer to live our lives.

kc3ase

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2015, 02:01:30 am »

I actually haven't seen this in any codes UL, CE, NEC, CSA.. Can you elaborate what you are citing?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf