Author Topic: Can I change preset temps on the Hakko FX-888D?  (Read 3080 times)

Offline ultrarunner2018Topic starter

• Contributor
Can I change preset temps on the Hakko FX-888D?
« on: September 18, 2018, 11:07:26 pm »
Hi;
I have owned the Hakko FX-888D soldering station for about 1-1/2 years now, and there is just one feature I would have liked on this station, but which it does not have.
That feature is the sleep mode, which would lower the temp setting to a cooler temp (around 350F) when the iron is not used for a few minutes. This would preserve tip life.
I have been just switching the station off when I'm not going to be using it for 5 minutes or more, but then I have to wait for it to re-heat from almost cold when I want to use it again. Having it sit at about 350F while not in use would shorten that re-heating time considerably.

The FX-888D doesn't have a sleep mode, but it does have 5 presets. I thought I might be able to re-program one of the presets to the lower temperature, but it does not appear that this is possible. The presets are PRESET to 600, 700, 750, 800, and 850 F.

Does anyone know if there is a "hidden" method of changing the preset temps?

Thanks
Ultrarunner

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
Re: Can I change preset temps on the Hakko FX-888D?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 11:40:52 pm »
The FX-888D does have programmable temperature PRESETs you can change and a selectable number of presets to cycle through.  I programmed my 1st PRESET to the suggested maintenance temperature of 482oF to do exactly what you want for a "sleep mode".

Just look-up the procedure in the manual.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 01:13:40 am »
Just look-up the procedure in the manual.
...and be amazed at the amount of functionality they managed to unfortunately cram into a 2-button interface, just make sure not to accidentally enter calibration mode. :palm:

Even a Tamagotchi has 3 buttons. |O

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 01:21:15 am »
Thanks guys;
The manual is not clear about how to change the presets. I needed to Google how to change the number of presets available, but I never looked for instructions on changing the temp setting for a preset.

I'll check the manual, and then Google if I don't find what I am looking for.

Edit: Read the manual again, and set P1 to 350 F, P2 to 600 F, P3 to 650 F, and left P4 and P5 at their default.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:53:01 am by ultrarunner2018 »

Online KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 03:24:21 am »
^Yeah. It's the same way you adjust the temperature, manually. The station just applies that to w/e preset you are in. So I take it you never knew how to adjust the temp manually? Hold enter for 2 seconds, then set the 80's alarm clock.

My own 888D's are all modded with 5 push buttons to select presets. I have one set to 200C for "sleep," but I stopped using it after trying it on for size. Forgetting to turn it back on is annoying. I may find it useful if I ever change to lead free solder, but it's just easier to leave it on all the time; there are essentially no repercussions for my current needs.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 02:39:02 am »
^Yeah. It's the same way you adjust the temperature, manually. The station just applies that to w/e preset you are in. So I take it you never knew how to adjust the temp manually? Hold enter for 2 seconds, then set the 80's alarm clock.

My own 888D's are all modded with 5 push buttons to select presets. I have one set to 200C for "sleep," but I stopped using it after trying it on for size. Forgetting to turn it back on is annoying. I may find it useful if I ever change to lead free solder, but it's just easier to leave it on all the time; there are essentially no repercussions for my current needs.
Actually, I do know how to change the temp, but didn't have much reason to change it, or to use any other presets. I was also a bit confused about the presets. The manual is not all that clear.
Anyway, I wanted to ask you how you modded your 888D to have 5 switches for the presets. Isn't that all controlled by the MPU?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf