Author Topic: Can SDCard/USB drives safely go through xray machines at customs/post office/air  (Read 5917 times)

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
I want to ship SD or USB cards with files on them but if they are damaged by xrays its not going to work.

Has anyone tried to put it in an xray machine and damage the data? I heard of people losing their vacation pictures at air port xray machines but that was about 18 years ago when it was new. They also could have just been drunk or pathological liars trying to cover their tracks.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Never heard of one causing any problems.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Probably not through anecdotal evidence.

Various times before I have had electronic devices with flash memory built in that went through the x-ray machines at the airport. No data loss was suffered, and with such a widespread use of flash memory, I doubt it would be this long before the loss of information on flash memory via post would be lost.

In any case if you are afraid of that, you can always send a load of DVDs.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Brumby

• Supporter

Not exactly the best form factor for travelling.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums

Not exactly the best form factor for travelling.

However he isn't traveling, he is asking about sending a package. In that case, a spindle of DVDs is alright.

What else do you want, Minidisc?
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
I want to ship SD or USB cards with files on them but if they are damaged by xrays its not going to work.

Has anyone tried to put it in an xray machine and damage the data? I heard of people losing their vacation pictures at air port xray machines but that was about 18 years ago when it was new. They also could have just been drunk or pathological liars trying to cover their tracks.

Perfectly safe. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
I heard of people losing their vacation pictures at air port xray machines but that was about 18 years ago when it was new. They also could have just been drunk or pathological liars trying to cover their tracks.
That was probably actual film, which is very sensitive to x-rays:

https://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml

However, it might be illegal to ship cards with certain data on them (pirate media/program, illegal publications, state secrets, etc.).
Hence, if it passes through customs, they may inspect your card and that may delay the shipment.
That's what (plausibly-deniable) encryption is for. Basically impossible to tell the difference between a card erased with entirely random data and one with encrypted data.

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Cypress's document on the effect of X-rays on their FLASH memory makes interesting reading.  http://www.cypress.com/file/202521/download

You are extremely unlikely to suffer data loss on any single pass through a modern airport X-ray machine.  However an older machine, on maximum output to attempt to resolve detail of a suspicious object in the same package, and that doesn't digitally store the image for viewing, so the exposure time is extended, could damage electronic media.

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
The carry on machines, no problem. The big CT machines in the basement of the airport for checked bags, may be a risk.

Steve
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

• Super Contributor
Technically, modern X ray technology irradiates so little X ray energy that flash memory can go through them safely.
However, it might be illegal to ship cards with certain data on them (pirate media/program, illegal publications, state secrets, etc.).
Hence, if it passes through customs, they may inspect your card and that may delay the shipment.

If I was doing that I wouldn't be asking on the internet under my own ip address or at all.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
If sending post I worry more about sorters that bend the envelopes, so you probably want to place the cards in a small packet format, and use a corrugated cardboard sheet both sides of the media, with a inner sheet cut to fit the card, with the 3 sheets taped together or stuck with a water based glue, then placed in the small packet grey envelope and sealed. Millions of these are handled by the post every day with no issue, and minimal damage. Small packet is generally cheaper than small parcel, and also offers an option of usable tracking and insurance as well.

Remember that Dave with his uRulers had to use a Tyvek envelope, with an inner card with them stuck to them, to prevent the rulers from either being destroyed or lost as they tore the envelopes. The rulers bend a lot better than silicon, and do not break in doing so.

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
If i read the kingston-website correctly:
https://www.kingston.com/us/flash/sd_cards/sd10vg2
Quote from: kingston-website
Protected against X-ray exposure based on ISO7816-1 guidelines

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
How about swallow an Micro SD Card?
I would put it in a Condom first to prevent corrosion from the Stomach Acid.
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
I gues that would produce way more trouble.

Offline kolbep

• Frequent Contributor
    • ShoutingElectronics.com
If sending post I worry more about sorters that bend the envelopes, ....
This is South Africa. We have to worry more about the Sorters stealing the post more than anything else!!!
On Average 50% of incoming mail goes missing. It is so bad, that plenty of Companies have banned purchases from South Africa. For Example Jon Oxer, from Freetronics and Superhouse.tv quotes this on his site :
Special Note: South Africa
The only destination country we've had big problems with so far is South Africa. With a package loss rate of about 50% we won't ship to South Africa anymore except by international courier with package tracking and insurance, so minimum charge (the base) rate for all packages to ZA has now been set to $55. Sorry, but it's not worth our while shipping there any other way when so many packages just vanish with no explanation. Please email support@freetronics.com for a quote before ordering. 
====================================
www.ShoutingElectronics.com Don't just talk about Electronics, SHOUT ABOUT IT! Electronics Blog Site and Youtube Channel

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
NOTE: This message has been deleted by the forum moderator Simon for being against the forum rules and/or at the discretion of the moderator as being in the best interests of the forum community and the nature of the thread.
If you believe this to be in error, please contact the moderator involved.
An optional additional explanation is:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:39:50 am by Simon »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
True Pieter, but that which does wend it's way through the kleptomaniacs in Randburg and Customs also tends to arrive well mangled if not packed properly. Of course seeing as it takes 6 weeks for a letter to go 1km, the stuff probably is just sitting in a giant pile on a floor somewhere.

I had a tracked parcel spend 2 weeks shuttling between Egoli and Kaapstad, with a diversion to Polokwane, before arriving at Durmail, where it was delivered a week later. You are right on the courier thing though, even though it is flaming expensive, makes the Aussie tax Dave complains about look like chump change.

@lord of nothing, that is a whole other kettle of fish.

• Super Contributor
We have to worry more about the Sorters stealing the post
Import more White People.  :-+

That quote is best kept to yourself in America. In some parts of the country that would just be a dangerous thing to say. Plus it seems like when the dutch tried that, that was actually the cause of the problem but maybe even without the white immagrantsthat country would turn out to be a shit hole like many African countries. I often wonder how much crime is do to people that have to steal to eat vs. just a shitty culture where people only care about themselves. I know in America a lot of Africans come to this country thinking it's just a place to steal from. I have worked with some really good African people but they were educated and wealthy certainly not the average African. Unfortunately a lot of Africans I have dealt with tried to rip me off with it usually back firing in their face or at best it not working. All of these people were uneducated and not wealthy. I had one guy who was trying to scam me sign a piece of paper written in legalese I wrote that basically said I had the right to sue him and he would have to pay costs regardless of outcome. Like I said not educated and probably a sub 100 IQ. 

Why does the government accept a 50% failure rate? Do the mail trucks get stolen or are the postal workers just thieves? How do they know what mail to  steal? Most mail is only of value to the sender and receiver. But that's good to know not to send things to south Africa. Does sending a piece of mail out of the country carry a 50% loss rate?

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
I am not from America or Africa.  :clap:

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
You are from the admin's reported box though. :clap:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

• Super Contributor
You are from the admin's reported box though. :clap:

Wut is dat? The country of Austria? What is the report post for? I'm guessing you don't click it to report that the poster did a really good job answering your questions. I want to report myself to see what happens.

EDIT: I get it now "abusive or offensive content". I think that for when people post "tubgirl" or that "goatsrsly" picture of the old man and the orange and the...   :scared: .
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:44:36 pm by Beamin »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf