Author Topic: Can you connect an RPi3b to a PC over USB and do anything usefull?  (Read 2639 times)

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
This was just an idea or do I not see others doing this because it won't work or would require a module in between.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Can you connect an RPi3b to a PC over USB and do anything usefull?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:31:46 am »
You can't directly connect a RPi model B of any kind directly to a PC via USB. You need a RPi without the integrated USB hub/Ethernet chip to use USB OTG mode so that means the old Model A, Zero or the Compute Module + CMIO.

Reasons why you'd want to connect a OTG capable RPi like the Zero would be if you wanted to use the USB Gadget drivers in Linux e.g. a WiFi connected USB drive made out of a RPi Zero.

The following users thanked this post: Beamin

Offline manzini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:33:32 pm »
absolutly YES!
In 2015 I did it to make a man in the middle with sales receipt printers using a rpi with rs232/usb otg interface with the new bt on rpi3 was a funny idea)
avoiding the very very expensive "professional services" of integration of different manufacturers (even many times not even paying) and set up a company around this idea, for example:
- In motorway restaurants, offer discounts if there is a traffic jam in the city and report the type of incident in the purchase receipt or in information panels.
- Print qr's for next discounts.
- capturing sales an mounting sales cubes/objectives for restaurants managers).
- Cross sale with vending machines (on airports or  certain centers, only real costumers can pee with their qr access on their.
- even something as simple as sending the sales receipt by email, that in 2018 is still a "special project" in many point of sales products.
of that "simple idea" in 2015 and a lot of lines in python, my company mktinabox (www.mktinabox.com) was born. Now with 5 intl. airports Some very important highways, and a few thousand centers installed in Spain and Portugal and with the version for Oracle Micros Symphony (tm), already "in kitchen ".
24x7x millions  of sales receipt documents printed. (man in the middle printer its a very very crtical software).
pl2303 rs232/usb is stable and good for usb gadget, cpxxx is buggy.
Remember, there are no silly ideas, the best ones are the simplest ones.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:52:15 pm by manzini »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 10:25:47 pm »
There's also Beaglebone Black if you want to do USB gadget and host at the same time. There's even software to use it as a USB analyzer.

I would really like to see a higher end version of the Zero with the same CPU (and optionally wireless) as the 3+, basically targeting very compact applications.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline manzini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 12:08:51 am »
yes !!
although with beaglebone black the same usb power cable cable of is otg and ok for usb linux gadget for large scale supplies and better hiding conditions and import facilities in the EU, RPI was the winner.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 12:20:57 am »
I think you can connect a to a rpi via a usb <> serial dongle to the serial console. and talk to it that way

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 08:37:18 pm »
absolutly YES!
In 2015 I did it to make a man in the middle with sales receipt printers using a rpi with rs232/usb otg interface with the new bt on rpi3 was a funny idea)
avoiding the very very expensive "professional services" of integration of different manufacturers (even many times not even paying) and set up a company around this idea, for example:
- In motorway restaurants, offer discounts if there is a traffic jam in the city and report the type of incident in the purchase receipt or in information panels.
- Print qr's for next discounts.
- capturing sales an mounting sales cubes/objectives for restaurants managers).
- Cross sale with vending machines (on airports or  certain centers, only real costumers can pee with their qr access on their.
- even something as simple as sending the sales receipt by email, that in 2018 is still a "special project" in many point of sales products.
of that "simple idea" in 2015 and a lot of lines in python, my company mktinabox (www.mktinabox.com) was born. Now with 5 intl. airports Some very important highways, and a few thousand centers installed in Spain and Portugal and with the version for Oracle Micros Symphony (tm), already "in kitchen ".
24x7x millions  of sales receipt documents printed. (man in the middle printer its a very very crtical software).
pl2303 rs232/usb is stable and good for usb gadget, cpxxx is buggy.
Remember, there are no silly ideas, the best ones are the simplest ones.

What?

Discounts if your receipt has a traffic jam?

So you hook a rpi between the computer's usb and the usb of those little thermal paper modules?

I though rs232 was the old serial cable on computers? How do you get access to it on new computers? Does the rpi have a rs232 jack or is that done through a usb port or does it have to have IO pins configured for it? Does the rpi have an easy way to get the rs232 out of it without having to write a program?

Too many abbreviations in your post sorry don't know all of those.

Offline manzini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 01:42:44 am »
sorry, then by examples.
If you are waiting or with a breakfast waiting city entry and have traffic jam (very common at morning), then you obtain a discount or gif by ex. a coffe or cake on your receipt. RPI intercept printer, obtain local,corporative  or internet information (sales cubes, objectives, traffic jams, etc) on real time, without delaying the POS receipt printer document.Summarizing. a smart "man in the middle device for receip printer. Only your imagination is your limit.
this "nonsense",This has loyalized many transporters and also weekend tourists (way of the saturated beaches) with some motorway restaurants.
in 2018 very common POS platform maintain rs232 for new computers or RPI, the best: prolific 2303 usb /rs232.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:43:17 pm by manzini »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 02:56:20 am »
sorry, then by examples.
If you are waiting or with a breakfast waiting city entry and have traffic jam (very common at morning), then you obtain a discount or gif by ex. a coffe or cake on your receipt. RPI intercept printer, obtain local,corporative  or internet information (sales cubes, objectives, traffic jams, etc) on real time, without delaying the POS receipt printer document.Summarizing. a smart "man in the middle device for receip printer. Only your imagination is your limit.
this "nonsense",This has loyalized many transporters and also weekend tourists (way of the saturated beaches) with some motorway restaurants.
in 2018 very common POS platform maintain rs232 for new computers or RPI, the best: prolific 2303 usb /rs232.

So in Spain if there is traffic on your way to work places give you free breakfast? Sounds like Communism gone wrong.

Is this what goggle translate looks like in real life? I one time tried to buy a bag of weed with my neighbor from Saudi Arabia. Everything was fine we were using google translate to communicate. Then he left and came back without the money or weed three hours later. So I typed "Where's the weed? This is dog shit "and a few other things. Next thing I know he gets really pissed and throws my lap top. Then we proceed to try and beat the shit out of each other just as his friend shows up and breaks up the fight. They then say something in Arabic and the friend gives me a bag of weed and he shakes my hand with a smile. How we went war in those countries trying to "win hearts and minds" with no translators is totally beyond me. Also when ever I asked them what they did for work in their own country they would all say "Banker". I doubt they were tellers at the local "Bank of Saudi Arabia" He also gave me his lap top, an Asus for free, along with a gallon of some green olive oil which was cool. I guess that's like extending an olive branch.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf