Author Topic: Celebrating Apollo 11, the landing on the moon  (Read 11295 times)

Offline SeanBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Celebrating Apollo 11, the landing on the moon
« on: July 20, 2017, 04:58:37 am »
Today 48 years ago Apollo 11 landed on the moon, the first manned landing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11

Never saw it live, because there was no TV in country at this time, started on my birthday with official broadcasts later on, plus I was still a wee baby.

Edit yes I brainfarted with the number, was thinking of the landing and the first missions........
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:24:25 pm by SeanB »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Celebrating Apollo 8, the landing on the moon
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 05:27:47 am »
I was in High School at the time - and I can still remember which seat I was in and which classroom.  It happened in the early afternoon, Sydney time.  There was a TV sat up on two stacked desks, so the whole class could watch.  There were lots of TVs in the school that day.

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 05:38:48 am »
I can't believe that for the last six years I had never realized until today that my son was born on the same day!  :palm:

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 05:51:33 am »
Typo in the title? Apollo 11

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 06:34:04 am »
11 landed.

8 made the first manned voyage to the moon and went into orbit. But, no landing.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 07:15:43 am »
Just bought this: first watch worn on the Moon!
To Noida: in my case it's my grand-daughter's birthday  ;D

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 07:20:56 am »
Today 48 years ago Apollo 8 landed on the moon, the first manned landing.

Never saw it live, because there was no TV in country at this time, started on my birthday with official broadcasts later on, plus I was still a wee baby.

You didn't see it, but not for that reason. Nobody saw it.

They did, however see an iconic photograph that changed the way people think: earthrise.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 08:16:55 am »
I was at primary school and the headmaster lugged his B&W television from his nearby schoolhouse for us all to watch it live, all 46 of us in the one room.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:14:38 am »
I was in a summer camp and we spent all night long in front of the TV waiting for the first step which occured 6 hours after landing, very early in the morning.
I visited NASA in Houston two years ago, including the Apollo Control room which has been restored as it was at that time: a boy's dream.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:29:24 am »
Great achievement  :-+  after this it all went sour, IMHO the huge step taken back then in a period of roughly fifteen years was greater then the steps of the last 50 years.
It shows what a committed nation with an extensive budget can achieve.

The focus has changed from space to domestic business.
So it will be interesting to see if America can or will built that wall to Mexico, something the chinese already accomplished 1200 years ago.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wall_of_China

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:52:51 pm »
For any that haven't seen it, this is pretty cool.

The following users thanked this post: albert22

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 02:06:10 pm »
One small step for Neil Armstrong. Once heck of a jump for the crew of Apollo 8.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Wytnucls

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 02:47:37 pm »
Very nice; thank you for posting.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 03:16:10 pm »

Apollo 11, Apollo 11. And if you don't believe me , I'll introduce you to a friend of mine, he'll explain it to you.

Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 03:18:25 pm »
I still use the date when things get difficult on a project.  "Look, we landed on the Moon back in '69, we can certainly solve this little problem today!".

Six landings with 12 astronauts having walked on the moon.  Pretty amazing!

The spin offs from the program in terms of science and technology (like integrated circuits) have been amazing.  Somehow, we have fallen off the rails.

Here's another factoid:  No other country has landed on the Moon.  Forty eight years and nobody has caught up!

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 03:45:35 pm »
For us in this forum, technically oriented with an emphasis on electronics and software, please read about the 1202 alarm code that occurred frighteningly close to the actual moon surface during the landing approach.

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11.1201-pa.html

This is a technical description only, but if you Google the term, there are many accounts of what happened.
I won't spoil it for you, but it was nail-biting experience.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 04:29:40 pm »
From Apollo 7 to Apollo 17 there were two Earth orbital missions, two lunar orbital missions, six lunar landing missions, and one aborted lunar landing mission, all taking place in a span of just over four years.

During approximately the same period of time, SLS/Orion will hopefully fly three missions and at least manage to get one crew into lunar orbit.

Ah, progress.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:31:17 pm by rdl »

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 12:33:20 pm »
For us in this forum, technically oriented with an emphasis on electronics and software, please read about the 1202 alarm code that occurred frighteningly close to the actual moon surface during the landing approach.

This is a technical description only, but if you Google the term, there are many accounts of what happened.

If I remember correctly, the nail-biting was more the fact that the original landing area was unsuitable for landing, and trying to find another spot to touch down was eating quickly through their fuel. The 1202 alarm, by contrast, was surprising (it had not been encountered generally in training until a simulation run a few days before the landing, or something to that effect) but hardly that nail biting as the on-board computer was effectively dropping (by rebooting, I didn't know that until I read the above link) secondary jobs so that the more important "primary" ones to landing could get done. Not perfect, but hardly tense. That simulation the few days before was the real nail biting experience... the controller that had to make the call on that alarm didn't know what it was during that simulation.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 01:02:39 pm »
I've followed the Apollo stuff most my life, I think of the 1201/2 alarms every time I see a 502. :palm:
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 01:38:56 pm »

Apollo 11, Apollo 11. And if you don't believe me , I'll introduce you to a friend of mine, he'll explain it to you.

"That's one small punch for man. One Knock out for Mankind"

..not my own words, found it in one of the comments on youtube

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 05:38:44 pm »

Correct!
But let's say that the 1202 alarm added further tension to an already-tense situation.
If I remember correctly, the nail-biting was more the fact that the original landing area was unsuitable for landing, and trying to find another spot to touch down was eating quickly through their fuel. The 1202 alarm, by contrast, was surprising (it had not been encountered generally in training until a simulation run a few days before the landing, or something to that effect) but hardly that nail biting as the on-board computer was effectively dropping (by rebooting, I didn't know that until I read the above link) secondary jobs so that the more important "primary" ones to landing could get done. Not perfect, but hardly tense. That simulation the few days before was the real nail biting experience... the controller that had to make the call on that alarm didn't know what it was during that simulation.

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 08:47:26 pm »
So, we did actually "walk on the Moon"...

Well, it's a shame that there are people out there that cannot share that enthusiasm, since they cannot accept that notion above because of the following:
1. Part 1 (24/07/2009): Heroes NEVER die | The "Shooting Stars" | Dimona reactor: The reason why.
2. Part 2 (24/02/2011): The "magic" air-conditioning unit, that was keeping the temperature at 25°C (either the ship temperature was at +125°C under the direct sunlight, or at -170°C under the Sun's shadow, when it was outside the Earth's protective atmosphere); and that this very specific technology monster (that "magic" air-conditioning unit) was able to be running on the ship's batteries for days! Yea, sure...! :)
3. Part 3 (26/08/2012): The minimum required time of 2.50 seconds for a radio signal to cover the very specific distance of Earth-Moon-Earth!
4. Part 4 (28/08/2012): A few facts regarding Neil Armstrong.

And, yes, that arthrographer under the screen name  "Giorgos_K" is yours truly, having a very hard time swallowing such televised only "facts" coming from yet another PRIVATE CORPORATION under the corporate name of "NASA" that has No Legal Obligation to reveal their Owners & Shareholders (exactly just like the infamous "FED")!

I'm really sorry guys (you very well know who I am addressing to), but you'll have to try a little harder in order to persuade people of that underwriter's (or of any higher than that) mindset...

-George
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 09:30:16 pm »
Troll Alert!
Troll Alert!

From reading your posts, I can see that you are fact-immune, but please answer a single question:
How did the Surveyor 3 camera returned from the Moon back to Earth, and which it now resides on the National Air & Space Museum?

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 09:34:36 pm »
Please do not feed the trolls.

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 09:37:43 pm »
[...]
How did the Surveyor 3 camera returned from the Moon back to Earth, and which it now resides on the National Air & Space Museum?
I would gladly answer your question, my dear EEVBlogger! Can I respond with a reversal?

According to WHOM do these facts you claim exist?

-George

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 09:38:24 pm »
I think part of the problem is that they did fake or alter some of the pictures.  They probably felt it was necessary at the time for cold war PR, but in retrospect was a huge mistake as it provides infinite grist for the denier mill.
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2017, 08:33:47 am »
Oooh goodie  :clap:  It's about time there was a good Fact Versus   :bullshit:    debate here    :popcorn:

Or is it classed as -trolling- either way,

and the thread gets nuked when facts n fysics get in the lead position ?   :scared:

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2017, 01:27:28 pm »
Very good points! :)

-George

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: Celebrating Apollo 11, the landing on the moon
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2017, 01:47:43 pm »

Somebody please change 8 to 11 in the subject line.

Offline Prime

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2017, 02:09:10 pm »
I have mag tape recordings of the BBC broadcasts. When I've reached a point where Infeel like I'll be able to make decent copies without rewinding and rerecording (and stretching the tape), I'll make digital copies of them.   ;D

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2017, 03:05:58 pm »
I have a hard time believing a bunch of goat herders 3000 years ago where able to invent geometry and build the Acropolis.

All I see are rocks and some papyrus. All fake and easy to order on Taobao.

Also, WWII never happened, all I have are "pictures" in "books". I'm supposed to believe we invented cryptography, radar, voice encryption, jet engines and nuclear weapons when we were just a bunch of goat rapists the whole time before?

Someone tried to make me believe we had supersonic civilian passenger transport 15 years ago and tried to show me "pictures" of something that looks like an over-excited child drew it. He called it a "Concorde". Yeah right. The plane would have melted at that speed. Duh!

This planet came into existence 5 minutes ago complete with false memories and history.

It was aliens.

And the Russians must be in on it as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_16

Oh, and at the speed of light, why would you expect 2.5 seconds?

Surely the signal has to travel to the Moon only when they're on the Moon... At which point, you have to wait for the reply when you stop transmitting, which would be only Moon to Earth, plus whatever time the person takes to formulate his answer.

Maybe you need some help solving puzzles....

Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2017, 03:22:49 pm »
Careful Alex, my late mother and father would have strongly disagreed with you, as both were POW's in that war, and both had the scars to prove it.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2017, 03:27:37 pm »
Careful Alex, my late mother and father would have strongly disagreed with you, as both were POW's in that war, and both had the scars to prove it.

Guess I forgot the "sarcasm" quote. My sense of humor tends to be dry, obscure, and only funny to me.  :(

Sorry, no actual offense meant. Just offense to the Greek dude. If he can think Apollo was a hoax, I can believe all the ancient Greek "accomplishments" are just so much hot air too.

Why not?
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 03:46:37 pm »
The Greeks gave us perspective, architecture ( the "modern" style), a lot of the common units and measures still used today in some form or the other, and a lot of the beginnings of mathematics, philosophy and the Scientific Method. the Romans did more, but were hampered by the one thing they did not have, a positional number system, which allowed for both positive and negative numbers and, more importantly, the notion that ZERO is a valid, usable and important number. that had to be imported from the Arabian peninsula, along with base 10 mathematics, along with base 12, base 16 and base 60 and 360 maths as well.

Remember the modern space age is determined, in one dimension, by the ass end of 2 Roman war horses together in a chariot.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2017, 04:10:26 pm »
The Greeks gave us perspective, architecture ( the "modern" style), a lot of the common units and measures still used today in some form or the other, and a lot of the beginnings of mathematics, philosophy and the Scientific Method.

That was the ancient Greeks.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 05:46:57 pm »
The modern Greeks gave us Ouzo.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2017, 05:55:49 pm »
By the time you take into account electronic and human delays, when communicating with the someone on/at the Moon it should have a delay of about ~3 seconds. If you listen to the audio recordings of the on/at Moon conversations you can hear the 3 second delay  :), - sometimes.  >:D
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2017, 06:22:00 pm »
Have you seen the video of buzz aldren punching the guy in the face when he calls aldren a coward? Or aldrens face as trump is just talking nonsense about the moon landing? Classic. Can we post youtube videos here or is that too off topic?
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2017, 07:10:55 pm »
Have you seen the video of buzz aldren punching the guy in the face when he calls aldren a coward? Or aldrens face as trump is just talking nonsense about the moon landing? Classic. Can we post youtube videos here or is that too off topic?
Reply 13 has the Buzz Aldren video

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2017, 07:28:52 pm »
The modern Greeks gave us Ouzo.
The modern greeks gave the € a drop in value.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2017, 11:50:39 pm »
Not sure you are being fair on Greece here... Most of the paranoid/conspiracy nutjobs I see on the web are from the good old USA. A fair few of them don't believe in the moon landings and quite a few think 911 was an inside job.
Despite their apparent confidence in their beliefs, most of these conspiracy nutjobs seem as clueless as George when it comes to basic physics/science/reasoning.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 11:52:42 pm by G0HZU »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2017, 03:25:03 am »
"Information Soccer" match, yay  :-+

Soloist Team George vs Team Hoax Denial   >:D

I'm a sucker for the underdog, so  GO GREECE !!!   :clap: :clap: :clap:

and I thought it was going to be another quiet relaxed sunny Sunday    8)

Offline John_ITIC

• Frequent Contributor
  • ITIC Protocol Analyzers
    • International Test Instruments Corporation
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2017, 04:13:53 am »
quite a few think 911 was an inside job.

Pocket-Sized USB 2.0 LS/FS/HS Protocol Analyzer Model 1480A with OTG decoding.
Pocket-sized PCI Express 1.1 Protocol Analyzer Model 2500A. 2.5 Gbps with x1, x2 and x4 lane widths.
https://www.internationaltestinstruments.com

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2017, 04:21:07 am »
There is no such thing as "Greece". It's a hoax. All I've ever seen are pictures. This is not a "fact".

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2017, 04:38:34 am »
There is no such thing as "Greece". It's a hoax. All I've ever seen are pictures. This is not a "fact".

So then the other Grease isn't real either?

Is that why Mr. Travolta has to pilot to pay off the plane?  ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2017, 08:46:42 am »
Thanks to OP for upgrading Apollo 8 title to Apollo 11    :-+ 

FWIW, all this numbering business can be very confusing,
I'm still searching the internet for Windows 9   :-//

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2017, 09:36:03 am »
11 landed.
8 made the first manned voyage to the moon and went into orbit. But, no landing.

IMO Apollo 8 was the greatest mission ever.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2017, 09:48:10 am »
My dad woke me up in the middle of the night and we watched the landing live on German TV.
It was probably one of the greatest things in my childhood life, just amazing!
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2017, 10:22:56 am »
My dad woke me up in the middle of the night and we watched the landing live on German TV.

Same for me, it was the first day of our holiday and we were staying the night in Germany :)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2017, 11:35:24 am »

Same for me, it was the first day of our holiday and we were staying the night in Germany :)
I remember watching it live (I was six) - I don't recall it being in the middle of the night though. Wikipedia gives the time as either 20:17:40 or 20:18:04 UTC on Sun 20 July 1969 so it would have been 21:18 in Germany (which observed CET/UTC +1 for all of 1969). It would have been the same wall clock time in the UK.

The whole Apollo programme was amazing and it is very sad that there isn't really anything comparable today - it was politically motivated, of course, otherwise it would never have been funded but it really shows what we as a species are capable of with the right impetus.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:36:16 pm by grumpydoc »

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2017, 02:10:35 pm »
The whole Apollo programme was amazing and it is very sad that there isn't really anything comparable today - it was politically motivated, of course, otherwise it would never have been funded but it really shows what we as a species are capable of with the right impetus.

Very well put. That's my view on it too :)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2017, 10:01:42 pm »
I am getting so tired of those conspiracy thinkers with their wild theories that might seem plausible but in the end comes down to: real life is sometimes so complicated with so many parameters and factors that a single human being is just not capable of grasping all those factors.
But a simulation with a large team of humans programming a multimillion dollar computer can and then if you do take into account all those parameters it proofs the photos taken on the moon are real and there is no conspiracy. Science rules!

Nvidia Debunks Conspiracy Theories About Moon Landing

https://youtu.be/syVP6zDZN7I

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2017, 10:39:12 am »
If anyone is interested, I would highly recommend purchasing a copy of the DVD's from:

https://www.honeysucklecreek.net/Apollo_11/tapes/main.html

I'm sure I've mentioned Colin Mackellar before on this blog. He is more than happy to answer any questions via e-mail. I have a copy of all his DVDs and they are fascinating viewing (if you enjoy hours of closed loop audio etc...).

His website also has hours of entertaining content.

If you haven't seen the Aussie movie "The Dish", it's well worth a watch!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:45:58 am by Halcyon »

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2017, 12:55:35 am »
quite a few think 911 was an inside job.

That video doen't take into account the "pancaking" effect when one floor is weakened and falls resulting in the whole building falling down. A good example of this WTC north and south towers that were hit by planes and fire weakened a few floor resulting in the whole building falling down. Unless the people that made that video don't remember the twin towers falling straight down. Another example were those apartment blocks in England where a lady lit a gas stove blowing out one wall. This caused the whole corner of the building to fall down. Another example is an orange.

One thing that I don't believe is TWA flight 700. They claim a wire in the fuel tank ignited the vapors. Yes vapors will explode but the problem is that in an empty fuel tank is you only have vapors and not enough oxygen to make the % needed for an explosion. I actually tried this as a kid with gasoline and a soda bottle. I took an Al foil strip and connected 120 VAC to it in a soda bottle I filled with gasoline dumped out and screwed the cap on. It just wouldn't explode. I even tried blowing air into to clear out the vapors but no effect. Gasoline is much more explosive then kerosene. Another example is when you spray too much hair spray into a potato gun. Just a second of extra hair spray and it wont explode. Kerosene's limits are 0.7% to 4.8% that means in the fuel tank you can have at most 4.8% vapor. In an empty fuel tank that's probably closer to 100%; way too rich to explode. You would have suck out 95% of the vapors and some how not create more with very cold tank and fuel temps to get an explosive mixture. Airplane designers know this and if it was that explosive the extream static created by an airplane would result in many explosions every day same with our gas tanks in our cars. They exploited the common sense of: Air, plus vapors, plus spark = fire. A fuel tank is safe because there lacks clean air in the tanks. Jet fuel is chosen explicitly for this reason as turbo fan engines can run on about any flammable liquid or gas. Think of an empty LP gas tank: even when it is empty the flame doesn't rush back into the tank because its still too concentrated to explode.         
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:58:44 am by Beamin »
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2017, 01:34:11 am »
Good grief, what do you think fuel tanks fill with as the fuel is pumped out?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inerting_system

Fuel tanks for combat aircraft have long been inerted, as well as self-sealing, but those for transport aircraft, both military and civilian, have not, largely due to cost and weight considerations.

:rant:

PS: Wrong flight number.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf