Author Topic: Ceramic SMD capacitor failure  (Read 5040 times)

Offline Pentium100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Ceramic SMD capacitor failure
« on: December 03, 2012, 04:40:47 am »
I just finished repairing a server power supply. Finally tracked down the problem to a leaky ceramic cap (about 1uF) used for power-on reset. Its resistance was around 1M. I replaced it with a new one and now the power supply works OK (I hate 0603 components - they are a PITA to solder). Last time I encountered a bad non-electrolytic capacitor was in a >40 year old device (all the paper caps in it were leaky).

So, I wanted to ask you - do ceramic caps develop low resistance usually or was my cap somehow manufactured faulty or damaged?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Re: Ceramic SMD capacitor failure
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:01:34 am »
Are you sure it wasn't just some conductive surface contamination, of the component or PCB? Not far between the end metalizations on 0603.

That's kind of the opposite problem to one I've found several times now in cheap switchmode supplies. Some of them use a 1M resistor for a trickle start-up of the switcher on the mains side. So there's an approximately 1/4W metal film resistor with near full rectified mains voltage across it. They eventually go open circuit, so the supply never starts. Even though it would run fine if it did start. And because it's a 1M resistor, and the surrounding circuit has more leakage than that, with the resistor in circuit you can't tell it's open.

I think it must be a kind of electro-migration of the metalization on the resistor.
Replace it with two 470K R in series, and they work.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:03:57 am »
So, I wanted to ask you - do ceramic caps develop low resistance usually or was my cap somehow manufactured faulty or damaged?
No. Yes. (I'd guess mechanical damage by flexing the circuit board.)
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:05:11 am »
Multiple possibilities. Cracking is the most likely cause. Body cracks and this causes an internal short.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 03:30:31 pm »
Ceramic chip caps are very prone to shorting, often as a result from ESD ( there is a NASA study about this) that causes a weak spot that grows whiskers, or from cracking from stress during handling, soldering or mounting of the board. They were famous for this in early encasulated ceramic caps which could burn a hole through a board when they failed.

Offline Pentium100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 03:32:04 pm »
I did not see any surface contamination.

The power supply is not a cheap one (a new one costs ~$150 IIRC) and it worked for some time before failing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf