Author Topic: charging up your electric car in 10 minutes - supercapacitors  (Read 9775 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: charging up your electric car in 10 minutes - supercapacitors
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2018, 05:03:49 pm »
A better solution might be to have a small AGM battery in parallel to the caps, that would give you the reserve capacity while the supercaps deliver the high current needed.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2018, 08:08:42 pm »
It's not cold here either, i only did it for fun :) and i was sick of replacing car batteries every 2 years.

Well a car battery should certainly last longer than 2 years, tho the Australian heat likely is not good for those batteries ether. But im pretty sure a supercap can extend the life of it by 3x easily. Perhaps the batteries even age slower if they are not repeatedly exposed to those large discharge currents.

I'm pretty sure it's just crap/cheaper materials used, and no desire by the local manufacturers to make them last longer.
It's very common here to buy a jap import car and have the jap brand battery last for 7 years. Only to replace it with a local battery that then lasts 2-3

Also i didn't add the caps in parallel, i replaced the battery with caps. <gasp>
sure, if i leave the lights on it's flat in 4min not 2 hours, but they should outlast the car.
That is a good way to get stranded in the middle of nowhere.
If you check Psi's posts, he's been running caps instead of LA batteries for years. I know he will have learnt all the pitfalls of caps by now.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2018, 09:45:31 am »
yes, i have. A couple of times i've done the walk home of shame.

I carry around a RC lipo battery at 'storage charge' in the glove box and a small 10A current limited DC/DC converter :)

The capacity isn't a lot with it at 40% storage charge however i don't need much to fully recharge the supercaps.
Leaving the lipo in the car at storage charge is much better for its lifespan.

The only real risky bit is going for a vehicle cert/warrant of fitness.
As I don't know how long they might leave the car with ignition on but engine off. Or leave the lights on.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2018, 06:56:49 pm »
Gee, you could get a little hand-crank generator and probably charge the supercaps in a couple minutes, and get the car started.

Jon

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 09:21:53 pm »
From memory, there's enough energy in a CR2032 to start a car once, just going to take 3 weeks to exact it all into the super caps :)
Always thought that would be funny youtube vid to make.  :-DD
Dunno how efficient the boost reg would be though.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2018, 09:51:54 pm »
If you've got weeks to do it, the boost could be quite efficient. You could implement a charge pump without using any electronics at all, just manually wire the caps in parallel and series in turn, charging one at a time to the voltage of the CR2032. I say go for it, in the name of science! :)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2018, 02:54:17 pm »
The 2017 Chevy Bolt battery is rated for 60 kWh so to charge it in 1 hour requires 60 kW.  To charge it in 10 minutes requires 360 kW - that seems like a lot of charging current at, say, 400V - about 90 amps.

DC fast charging will currently provide 90 miles in 30 minutes of charging and these stations are sprouting up all over the place.  Besides being located outside our local pharmacy, most government buildings have stations and many private employers are installing them.  If I was still working, I'm pretty sure I would have a project to install 6 to 12 stations.  Employee benefit...

http://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-ev-electric-car?ppc=GOOGLE_700000001291955_71700000017485222_58700003947879020_p31998110064&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsd32zbSA2wIVlspkCh2DzQa7EAAYASAAEgLZz_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#charging

I own the 220V charger but I have never installed it; I just use the small 120V charger.  It takes a long time to charge but I'm retired with nothing but time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf