Author Topic: Cheapo 19" rack shelf.  (Read 3788 times)

Offline DTJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Cheapo 19" rack shelf.
« on: April 17, 2018, 01:06:07 pm »
Is there such thing as a cheap 19" rack shelf?

Ebay doesn't show much under Au$20 for a simple shelf.

I thought I'd be able to pick them up a flimsy one $5 or less.

Aliexpress does not seem to have much on offer.

Any leads on where to pick up a couple of budget shelves?

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
Re: Cheapo 19" rack shelf.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 02:33:02 pm »
That is already pretty budget for rack-mount stuff. It's not mass-market enough to be cheaper than that, unless you stumble across one at a yard sale or something.

Depending on your actual requirements, you could DIY something that works. A couple shelf brackets and a piece of wood would hold a keyboard, for instance.

Offline analogo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 04:11:25 pm »

A (used?) IKEA Lack is all you need. It fits perfectly standard 19" appliances, up to 5U.

https://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack

The following users thanked this post: thermistor-guy

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 02:55:18 am »

Ebay doesn't show much under Au$20 for a simple shelf.

I thought I'd be able to pick them up a flimsy one $5 or less.

Aliexpress does not seem to have much on offer.

Any leads on where to pick up a couple of budget shelves?

Both Jaycar & Altronics used to have them in flat packs, probably not as cheap as that.
Another alternative is an auction house/salvage company, along the lines of Ross' Salvage in Perth, although I've only seen full height racks there.

There are, however, Tech firms "going down the gurgler" every few months, so there should be a few "Half racks" turning up.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 03:32:23 am »
Try your favourite scrap metal yard? I imagine racks show up there quite a bit.

+1 for the Lack table. About $7-8 at Ikea
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 07:23:59 am »
By 'rack shelf' he means a bit of folded steel that screws into a rack frame, to serve as a shelf. Not the actual rack frame.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 07:38:58 am »
DTJ, where in Australia are you? If you're around Sydney, I have a flat shelf which extends most of the way from the front to the back of the rack. It's a high-quality Hallam part. It fixes to the frame from the sides (as opposed to the way normal rack gear mounts from the front and rear). I've since got rid of the rack it came from and it doesn't seem to fit in my Dell rack, so it's yours for free if you want to come for a drive. Send me a PM if interested.

Offline niladherbert

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 10:13:34 am »
Hey is it hard to get those big rack mount units with the handles on them for s100 stuff? I've got this recurring dream of a big rack with a big s100 system, a modern server, a terminal, a smaller retro system and a scope/spectrum analyser/logic analyser. (Note this is a 20 years in the future type dream)

Offline DTJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 10:50:47 am »
DTJ, where in Australia are you? If you're around Sydney, I have a flat shelf which extends most of the way from the front to the back of the rack. It's a high-quality Hallam part. It fixes to the frame from the sides (as opposed to the way normal rack gear mounts from the front and rear). I've since got rid of the rack it came from and it doesn't seem to fit in my Dell rack, so it's yours for free if you want to come for a drive. Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks for the very generous offer Halcyon, Perth to Sydney is a bit of a drive so I might give it a miss! ::) Thanks anyway.

Offline DTJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 10:55:34 am »
By 'rack shelf' he means a bit of folded steel that screws into a rack frame, to serve as a shelf. Not the actual rack frame.

Yep just chasing the shelf.

I bought one of these 8U 19" racks for Au$159.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B077D3K41K/ref=pe_2361882_283709292_TE_3p_dp_1

I thought it was good value, quite sturdy and secure.

Thanks for the other ideas on the shelves guys.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 11:05:03 am »
Thanks for the very generous offer Halcyon, Perth to Sydney is a bit of a drive so I might give it a miss! ::) Thanks anyway.

I've heard Perth is lovely. One of the few places I'm yet to visit.

For those reading outside of AU... it's this far...

The following users thanked this post: DTJ

Offline DTJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 12:16:04 pm »

I've heard Perth is lovely. One of the few places I'm yet to visit.

For those reading outside of AU... it's this far...

Perth is great. While isolation has its down sides, it certainly has its benefits too.

I've been to Sydney a couple of times but only for a day or two both times. It's on the large side compared to quiet old Perth.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 12:30:07 pm »
I've been to Sydney a couple of times but only for a day or two both times. It's on the large side compared to quiet old Perth.

I worked in the middle of Sydney for several years and lived a 10 minute train ride away. I know that sounds amazing (being able to travel to work, door-to-door within 10 minutes) but it's not all that it's cracked up to be.

I now live in the Blue Mountains but travel at least an hour each way to get to/from work and I love it.

Coming home is peaceful and now that we're coming into winter, the smell of wood fire is in the air.

I guess the older and crankier I get, the less I want to be around people, noise, pollution and traffic.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 12:45:04 pm »
Monoprice has some, not sure if they ship to Australia, or how much it would cost though...

But yeah I find it crazy how rack stuff seems to be overpriced. They figure only companies buy it so they jack up prices.

A local metal fab shop might be able to make them for cheaper too.   

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 12:53:35 pm »

I'm in Sydney ... but I don't have enough stuff for a rack - and if I start one, it is bound to attract more rack-sized things - which could prove to be a health hazard.   ;D

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 01:08:30 pm »
Put the word rack mount or enterprise on anything and you double the price as companies will pay it, or use the word music and treble the price

I'm lucky to have a network infrastructure supplier 20 mins down the road

A old pic of my rack (switched off for maintenance)

Offline DTJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 01:23:17 pm »
A old pic of my rack (switched off for maintenance)

Nice rack!

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 01:38:35 pm »
How many RU are you after and what depth?

I’ve got a few here in a box somewhere, Altronics ones leftover from a job in a past life and I’m in Perth too.

If you’re interested, let me know and I’ll dig them out. From memory they were 300mm see or there abouts.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 10:34:48 am »
I'm in Sydney ... but I don't have enough stuff for a rack - and if I start one, it is bound to attract more rack-sized things - which could prove to be a health hazard.   ;D

You could always start small with an Ikea LackRack.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 01:12:40 pm »
No... no... Please no.  Take this temptation away from me.

It's a slippery slope with several rabbit holes.

Offline DTJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 01:25:21 pm »
How many RU are you after and what depth?

I’ve got a few here in a box somewhere, Altronics ones leftover from a job in a past life and I’m in Perth too.

If you’re interested, let me know and I’ll dig them out. From memory they were 300mm see or there abouts.

Thanks for the kind offer PTR_1275 but I found a solution.

I hacked an old Altronics rack mounting enclosure I had lying around and turned it into a shelf. Its not pretty but it does the job and inside the rack cabinet it's out of sight anyway. 

Thanks anyway!  ;)

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 03:12:39 pm »
No worries.

It seems that cheap and 19” aren’t 2 phrases that go together very often.

I started with a 12ru, then that was too small so I got a 15ru, then a 17 ru, then a full height 42ru. All bought off gumtree etc.. very cheap. No way I’d pay full price for them. I’ve currently got the full height and the 17ru full, but now I need a little 6ru and haven’t been able to find anything for less than a few hundred dollars... I’m also a little bit height restricted on that one so I need to be picky

Offline DTJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 05:09:05 am »
No worries.

I started with a 12ru, then that was too small so I got a 15ru, then a 17 ru, then a full height 42ru. All bought off gumtree etc.. very cheap. No way I’d pay full price for them. I’ve currently got the full height and the 17ru full, but now I need a little 6ru and haven’t been able to find anything for less than a few hundred dollars... I’m also a little bit height restricted on that one so I need to be picky

Mines just a little 8RU ($160) wall mounted unit to house my NAS/switch/router and NVR.

Have you seen these 4U & 6U units?

https://www.selby.com.au/tv-brackets-stands/server-racks/under-20ru.html

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 05:21:32 am »
I have seen those, the problem is there seems to be a huge waste of space too and or bottom. 6ru should be 266mm not allowing for any space, yet that 6ru is 380mm.

I have about 320mm in the space I want to put it which is the difficult part...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf