Author Topic: Chinese man caught by facial recognition at pop concert  (Read 6380 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Chinese man caught by facial recognition at pop concert
« on: April 13, 2018, 03:58:51 pm »

"Chinese police have used facial recognition technology to locate and arrest a man who was among a crowd of 60,000 concert goers"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-43751276

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Chinese man caught by facial recognition at pop concert
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 04:39:43 pm »
Oceania is developing promisingly, I see.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 04:44:24 pm »
Actually, I don't think this is possible with today's technlogy, yet. Just threatening the sheeps, because sheep peaople will believe anything you throw at them.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 08:28:56 pm »
Actually, I don't think this is possible with today's technlogy, yet. Just threatening the sheeps, because sheep peaople will believe anything you throw at them.
Ma-a-a-aah! You just need a good camera (What they have when they film concerts) and a good computer. (What the police probably also have) Then it's just a matter of time. And you can go through a still-frame of the live-feed from the concert for example. No need for real-time facial recognition - but that is possible too.
Why do ppl underestimate the current technological possibilities? The same with "there's no space, 'cause impossibru"-ppl. Close minded, self-described; "woke" ppl...

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 08:41:30 pm »

"Chinese police have used facial recognition technology to locate and arrest a man who was among a crowd of 60,000 concert goers"

It doesn't mention how many similar looking men they arrested before they got to him!  ;D
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 08:54:48 pm »
Ma-a-a-aah! You just need a good camera (What they have when they film concerts) and a good computer. (What the police probably also have) Then it's just a matter of time. And you can go through a still-frame of the live-feed from the concert for example. No need for real-time facial recognition - but that is possible too.
Why do ppl underestimate the current technological possibilities? The same with "there's no space, 'cause impossibru"-ppl. Close minded, self-described; "woke" ppl...

You can't scan a crowd of just barely lit moving 60 000 people, with just a couple bog standard HD cameras. Ain't happening. Even 4K resolution, which is abotu the best they will have available, is barely enough to do face recognition on a couple tens of people.
You can call me a disbeliever and what not, today's tech is fascinating inded, but just not that much yet.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 09:02:12 pm »

It doesn't mention how many similar looking men they arrested before they got to him!  ;D

Once upon a time this would have been the cue for the inevitable racial joke ...

I'll get my coat.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Ampera, Gyro, Mr. Scram

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 09:16:17 pm »
You can't scan a crowd of just barely lit moving 60 000 people, with just a couple bog standard HD cameras. Ain't happening. Even 4K resolution, which is abotu the best they will have available, is barely enough to do face recognition on a couple tens of people.
You can call me a disbeliever and what not, today's tech is fascinating inded, but just not that much yet.
It was just my assumption that they used the stage-cams.
2010 https://www.csoonline.com/article/2227084/microsoft-subnet/facial-recognition--identifying-faces-in-a-crowd-in-real-time.html
With emphasis on:
The system works in a matter of seconds and in the near-infrared, working "in any lighting conditions, from pitch darkness to sunlight and everything in between."
2017 http://www.eenewseurope.com/news/face-recognition-module-operates-real-time-crowd-video-capture
NEC's NeoFace Accelerator is a PCI Express low profile 68.9x167.65mm board that performs super-fast face authentication based on 4K video acquisition and face matching with an existing photo database.

In the second test, the technology was asked to detect suspicious individuals at an indoor stadium. This test was conducted with an individual situated far from the camera, with their face direction changing frequently.
Moa shit: https://www.gemalto.com/govt/biometrics/biometric-software/live-face-identification-system
or 2015: http://www.imagus.com.au/resources/Imagus_Whitepaper_250515.pdf
Given 1) the streaming nature of surveillance video, 2) the large number of simultaneous
video feeds in a major site like an airport, and 3) the 24/7 nature of surveillance, practical
technologies must operate in real-time or possibly even faster. Finding and recognising
faces in such enormously high definition video streams in real-time is a grand technical
challenge.
Imagus Non-Cooperative Face Recognition Technology
Imagus Face Recognition Technology (FRT) has been researched and developed from the
ground up to rapidly match low quality photos and videos and does not use face
recognition techniques from other companies. The advantages of our current suite of
algorithms are 1) extremely high speed search, 2) relatively small memory footprint, 3)
ability to match very low-resolution images as found in CCTV, and 4) extreme insensitivity
to simultaneous changes in pose, illumination, expression, focus, motion blur, geometric
distortion, and image misalignment.

If you still want to stay in your conspiracy-theory-corner, than you're the sheep- following your own delusions.

Offline rfeecs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 09:30:46 pm »

From the article:
Mr Ao was identified by cameras at the concert's ticket entrance, and apprehended by police after he had sat down with other concert goers.

They photographed everyone as they came in.  Nothing new here:
https://www.facefirst.com/industry/stadium-face-recognition/

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 09:30:52 pm »
Forget the 60 thousand clickbait, the facial recognition camera didn't looked for him in the crowd during concert.

The linked article said:
"Mr Ao was identified by cameras at the concert's ticket entrance, and apprehended by police after he had sat down with other concert goers."

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 11:18:55 pm »
Once upon a time this would have been the cue for the inevitable racial joke ...

Did they arrest the Wong man?

Anyway... so we know facial recognition is now a significant technology for social control. Add that to the 'social credit score' system the Chinese gov is implementing, and that's pretty scary.
Then add functioning AI, of the kind already rolled out by google, facebook, twitter, reddit, etc for real-time suppression of public discussion and awareness of concepts contrary to the official narrative.

We really are at a  historical crux.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 11:37:36 pm »
2017 http://www.eenewseurope.com/news/face-recognition-module-operates-real-time-crowd-video-capture
NEC's NeoFace Accelerator is a PCI Express low profile 68.9x167.65mm board that performs super-fast face authentication based on 4K video acquisition and face matching with an existing photo database.

From that link:

Drawing up to 25W, the board can track multiple persons from a crowd of hundreds of people as they move by in large venues, transit stations or shopping malls.

Intel proudly notes that its technology is what powers the card's face recognition engine. NEC, it says, relies on Intel Arria 10 field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) operating on Intel Xeon processor–based servers to increase the performance of its NeoFace facial recognition engine to a level where an individual can be identified smoothly from a high-resolution image with dozens of faces.
“Facial recognition in a moving crowd requires highly advanced techniques when compared to still images because these cameras are affected by many factors: camera location, image quality and lighting, along with the subject’s size, walking speed and face direction,” explains Tadashige Kadoi, general manager of IoT Platform Development Division, NEC Corporation.

“Intel FPGAs and their parallel processing capability help NEC to enable fast and accurate collection and processing of images from even 4K high-resolution remote cameras.”

Last March, NEC NeoFace was ranked No. 1 in almost all tests by the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) specifically for face-in-video evaluation. The NIST tests evaluated the accuracy of the technology in two real-life test scenarios including a test for entry-exit management at an airport passenger gate. It determined whether and how well the engine could recognize people as they walked through an area one at a time without stopping or looking at the camera.

NEC's face recognition technology won first place with a matching accuracy of 99.2 percent. The error rate of 0.8 percent was less than one-fourth of the second place error rate, claims Intel.

So it only work with "dozen" of faces. It can't just scan a big crowd, so it would have to be setup at entrance ways etc.
These things aren't magic.
Even one at a time going through a gate under basically ideal circumstances it still missed 0.8% of the time.
I suspect that number would balloon by two orders of magnitude with dozens of people coming through a big concert gate at a time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:40:54 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 11:41:27 pm »
It's obvious you'd want to do it this way. You check tickets at strategic points too, or scan license plates at certain points where most traffic passes. People will line themselves up.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 11:48:39 pm »
It's obvious you'd want to do it this way. You check tickets at strategic points too, or scan license plates at certain points where most traffic passes. People will line themselves up.

Baaaaaaa....

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 11:52:57 pm »
Baaaaaaa....
Are you greeting your southern neighbours? ;D

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 11:57:17 pm »

Baaaaaaa....

Tons of angry comments from Welsh people ensue... >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 12:22:47 am »
Baaaaaaa....
Are you greeting your southern neighbours? ;D

Where men are men and the sheep are afraid.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 01:01:38 am »
Same thing is happening in our shopping centres today. In Sydney, one or two large shopping complexes (or "malls" as you Yanks like to call them), are trialing facial recognition systems, not so much for security (although this is an application) but to track your movements from store-to-store for marketing purposes and to gather data on consumer behaviour.

I've seen the footage from these cameras are they look absolutely brilliant, almost good enough for TV broadcast.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:08:58 am by Halcyon »

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 01:03:58 am »
1984 and Brave New World, all rolled into one in the People's Hypocrisy of China. http://www.wired.co.uk/article/chinese-government-social-credit-score-privacy-invasion

No wonder millions of citizens are qeueing up (and some with money jumping the queue) to get the hell out. I don't hear of people going the other way. As a Chinese friend (from Beijing and living in Australia) said, "Voting is banned in China, but the people are voting with their feet."

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 01:36:30 am »
Same thing is happening in our shopping centres today. In Sydney, one or two large shopping complexes (or "malls" as you Yanks like to call them), are trialing facial recognition systems, not so much for security (although this is an application) but to track your movements from store-to-store for marketing purposes and to gather data on consumer behaviour.

I've seen the footage from these cameras are they look absolutely brilliant, almost good enough for TV broadcast.
Wifi tracking is now commonplace too.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 02:05:54 am »

Wifi tracking is now commonplace too.

Well that's another point. People don't realise how easy it is to track someone just by walking around with your smart phone. This is why my Wi-Fi access point has the most generic and common name possible, so that looking my SSID up on sites like WiGLE won't lead you back to where I live.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 02:26:39 am »
Well that's another point. People don't realise how easy it is to track someone just by walking around with your smart phone. This is why my Wi-Fi access point has the most generic and common name possible, so that looking my SSID up on sites like WiGLE won't lead you back to where I live.
Many devices broadcast all the SSIDs they remember until they connect. That allows fingerprinting or direct tracking. You can't make this stuff up.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/where-have-you-been-your-smartphones-wi-fi-is-telling-everyone/

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 02:45:08 am »
Many devices broadcast all the SSIDs they remember until they connect. That allows fingerprinting or direct tracking. You can't make this stuff up.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/where-have-you-been-your-smartphones-wi-fi-is-telling-everyone/

Yep they sure do. You can be in a room full of people and all their phones, tablets and laptops will all be broadcasting their "remembered" SSIDs in an attempt to connect to known networks.

Those SSID's are easily captured. If you have a unique SSID, you can just jump on WiGLE, search for your SSID and work out roughly (within 10's of metres) where you live.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 03:39:43 am »
Yep they sure do. You can be in a room full of people and all their phones, tablets and laptops will all be broadcasting their "remembered" SSIDs in an attempt to connect to known networks.

Those SSID's are easily captured. If you have a unique SSID, you can just jump on WiGLE, search for your SSID and work out roughly (within 10's of metres) where you live.

A partial defence for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kismetwireless.android.smarterwifimanager.bpe. It actively turns your WiFi off unless you are in a rough location (based on visible cell towers) where you have permitted WiFI to be used. As well as a useful security feature, it also saves power. It also does the same for Bluetooth, should you choose to do so.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf