Author Topic: Cleaning digital musical keyaboards  (Read 1200 times)

Offline MrOmnosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • BE in Electronics and Communication
Cleaning digital musical keyaboards
« on: February 25, 2018, 01:58:37 pm »
Hi guys! It was amazing to see so much support from you guys in an earlier post I made. It really gave me some boost and I found out I had forgotten a lot of things I used to do few years ago. I used to play keyboard and few years ago after a bad exam scores I gave up alot of things I considered distraction. I gave my keyboard to a friend so I wouldn't waste my time playing it. Now I have brought it back and I want to play and learn it again when I am not in mood to do anything else. Obviously my friend didn't take proper care of the instrument and noe it's all dirty. I can clean everything else but there's a fabric like material over the speakers and it looks filthy.

Its like something was poured on to it. How do I clean it? Any has any experience with clean fabric over speakers? I don't want to do trial and error and ruin it. I need those clean because I make videos and it looks filthy on videos.

Online jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
Re: Cleaning digital musical keyaboards
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:05:59 pm »
musicians that use their musical instruments as beer coasters.  ::)
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:30:06 pm »
You generally dismantle enough to get the speaker covers off so that they are on their own or with only plastic on the surrounding areas, then simply use some water in a spray bottle to rinse the cloth, and let dry. That removes most of the dirt, and if there still is then another rinse and some scrubbing lightly with a new paint brush will remove more. after that you start to get aggressive, starting with another wash with the brush and a drop of dishwashing liquid in the spray bottle, then a thorough rinsing and let dry. that will get rid of most light stains and not harm the by now fragile cloth too much.

If the cloth is torn then go to the haberdashery and get some black T shirt material and recover it, stretching the material to make a smooth surface.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 05:39:32 pm »
If the cloth is torn then go to the haberdashery and get some black T shirt material and recover it, stretching the material to make a smooth surface.

Or .. your mom's , wife's or GF's black stocking  >:D, seriously, I used it a lot to replace the speaker covers.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 06:31:52 pm »

Or .. your mom's , wife's or GF's black stocking  >:D, seriously, I used it a lot to replace the speaker covers.

I have also used the above for filtering hard cider. :popcorn:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 06:53:56 pm »
I have also used the above for filtering hard cider. :popcorn:

That is why I use Alfa Laval milk socks, they are a better filter material. OK the wholesaler is 20km from me, and the nearest agent 200km, but they do deliver within a week when you want more, and a pack of 200 do last quite a long time. They are also great for fish tank filters, makes the fish appear to be floating on nothing when they are working well.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 01:34:13 am »
Often those covers are on a removable frame. If so, just take them off (still on the frame) and wash them gently in the kitchen sink. The 'cloth' is usually synthetic (on anything less than 50 years old) and doesn't absorb water.

To dry, place flat on a towel and dab the reverse side with another towel until you've got it reasonably dry, then just let time do the rest.

I've done this successfully a fair number of times with no mishaps. Removes dust, spilled coffee and cigarette smoke residue. The first time I tried it was with covers so far gone that I couldn't damage them further and if it hadn't worked I'd have just recovered them. As it was, they came up spick and span and are still good to this day after a couple of further washes..

Just take a good long look at the materials used for them beforehand, and if you've any doubts try wetting a corner of a folded-over piece as a test before you get fully stuck in.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf