Author Topic: Collection #1 is the world's biggest data dump. Check your passwords  (Read 2333 times)

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/collection-1-have-i-been-pwned

:-//

my @gmail.com email seems to be compromised, but this week-end I am leaving Gmail for good.

:popcorn:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:00:09 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
Re: Collection #1 is the world's biggest data dump. Check your passwords
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 02:00:46 pm »
"773M Password ‘Megabreach’ is Years Old"

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/01/773m-password-megabreach-is-years-old/

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 09:29:47 pm »
I got an email that I got compromised.    All this is super vague though, which site got compromised?   I recently went around changing ALL my passwords and now I have to do it all over again, hoping to narrow it down to a few sites instead.  I use a password manager and pretty much use randomly generated passwords for most things now. 

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 08:02:06 am »
If your email is on the compromised list, it means the combo of username/email/password for a particular site was compromised. As long as you don't use the same password as your email for any other site your email account will be ok.

Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 02:16:12 pm »
Yeah I run my own mail server so hopefully it's not hacked.  Probably going to change those passwords again for good measure though.  Email and domain registrar are the most critical things to protect.  For domain registrar I use 2 factor auth too.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 12:02:09 am »
Breaches will happen. I've said this time and time again and I'll keep saying it until users listen: Don't recycle passwords and don't use one service to sign into another - i.e.: Don't use your Facebook login to sign in to an online store. Using something like Keepass is easy and quick. It sure beats having to go and change all your passwords because you were silly enough to use the same one for everything.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 12:51:12 am »
With this particular breach you still have to change your passwords everywhere though, as there's no details on WHAT was breached.   I guess that's where using a unique email for each service would be ideal. 

Offline s8548a

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 07:18:05 am »
Ya, my gmail and yahoo id's were on the pawned list and upon checking the breaches, it makes clear that the websites/services to which I am subscribed using these email id's got compromised.

as I am using different passwords for each I think the mail id's are safe, but I can see the increase in the spam and marketing email bullshit.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 07:39:46 am »
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/collection-1-have-i-been-pwned

:-//

my @gmail.com email seems to be compromised, but this week-end I am leaving Gmail for good.
You know that this has nothing to do with gmail, don't you? Gmail hasn't been compromised. A site where you used your gmail address as your username had been.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 08:23:00 am »
With this particular breach you still have to change your passwords everywhere though, as there's no details on WHAT was breached.   I guess that's where using a unique email for each service would be ideal.

You can still check which service(s) of yours have been compromised by entering your email address in https://haveibeenpwned.com

They have uploaded over 772 million email addresses/user accounts involved in the breach into their database.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 02:48:18 pm »

You can still check which service(s) of yours have been compromised by entering your email address in https://haveibeenpwned.com

They have uploaded over 772 million email addresses/user accounts involved in the breach into their database.

But if you use the same email for each service as I do it won't really narrow down much.  I guess that's where using 1 email per service would be ideal.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 02:56:01 pm »
That is one of the reasons to use a two-factor authentication on important online accounts.

While not 100% perfect, it does add another security layer.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 03:04:40 pm »

Out of curiousity i entered my email which i had not used for the last 15 years and the check came out with a bunch of services which i never used, and i thonk none of them existed back then. So the list of compromised services appear to be BS.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 03:35:27 pm »
Out of curiousity i entered my email which i had not used for the last 15 years and the check came out with a bunch of services which i never used, and i thonk none of them existed back then. So the list of compromised services appear to be BS.

Is that really you, Bud??
For all we know, the real Bud might be an exceedingly mild-mannered and charming individual, but his eevblog account has been pwned years ago...  :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf