Author Topic: Component Organizer Software  (Read 15971 times)

Offline AcHmed99Topic starter

• Contributor
Component Organizer Software
« on: May 22, 2014, 12:04:57 pm »
I found a link to this app on another site.

Workshop Organizer

For Linux and windows.
Has anyone used this before?
I've been looking for something to keep track of my stock, this seems to fit the bill. You can link each component to its datasheet, catagories, price and quantity.

The following users thanked this post: DTJ

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
Re: Component Organizer Software
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 01:08:28 pm »
Try ELELA: CLICK!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 01:44:32 am »
I recently found a solution for component organizer.

Oh, wait - aren't you the one that is flogging this thing? Certainly seems so over in the buy/sell topic. So I am kind of lost as to how you 'recently found' this solution (as opposed to dreamt it up and now want to flog it). Maybe you could clarify your interest (or lack thereof) in this?

Edit: er... perhaps you might like to consider what Wrath Of The Mods you might be stirring up by carpet bombing the forum about this thing. If nothing else, I admire your bravery  >:D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:46:51 am by dunkemhigh »

Offline Ducttape

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 03:02:36 am »
This topic makes me wax nostalgic. I remember in the 1980's there was a Mac program called Interlace (and later became Reflex after purchase by Borland) for the mac that was a RELATIONAL database manager whose UI was a work of art. There will never be, in my opinion, a relational database as easy to use. And, of course, it is gone forever. I'm secretly hoping some other codger here will remember it, but it's unlikely.

Anyways, if you want to do it right (the downtown version), what's needed for true flexibility in parts management here, is a database that can handle 'links from many to many'. For instance, what if you have 555's from 3 different manufacturers or sources (many)? Plus, some of those manufacturers are the sources of more than one (again, many) of your components? That is what a database 'link from many to many' is. And now that Interlace/Reflex is gone you pretty much have to devote your life to learning any software package that will handle this situation. So it is not easy to do this 'right'.

So where was I going with this? Oh yeah, I recommend just going with Excel like I do. Close enough.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 10:47:16 am »
I found a link to this app on another site.

Workshop Organizer

Has anyone used this before?
I've been looking for something to keep track of my stock, this seems to fit the bill. You can link each component to its datasheet, catagories, price and quantity.

On the surface it looks ok. I tried to install it but get an error when I try to run it:  "Initializing system database is fail!"

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 07:55:35 am »
The 64 bit version would not run on my 64 bit PC.

I downloaded the 32 bit windows version and it installed and ran fine (on my 64 bit machine).

Having played with "Workshop Organizer" for a while, I've found it's fine for what is is but it would be better if it could do BOMs also.

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 07:42:47 am »
Released publicly yesterday. Might do what you are after.
I've had this running for over 15 years now and made several upgrades along the way.

http://axtsystems.com/joomla31/index.php/projects/30-cat-axtparts/44-art-projects-axtparts

There's another thread with more detail here.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/electrical-parts-inventorymanagement-system/

It's LAMP (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP) based, web-browser interface, multi-user and very easy to setup.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:45:42 am by DrGeoff »
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 08:57:20 am »
I've had this running for over 15 years now and made several upgrades along the way.

It's LAMP (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP) based, web-browser interface, multi-user and very easy to setup.

I've read the other thread with great interest DrGeoff.

It looks really good but my Linux phobia is stopping me trying it out.

I want something I can start up and use with one click.
I was going to look into seeing if it can run on my QNAP NAS which I think may be running Linux.

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 09:10:22 am »

I've read the other thread with great interest DrGeoff.

It looks really good but my Linux phobia is stopping me trying it out.

I want something I can start up and use with one click.
I was going to look into seeing if it can run on my QNAP NAS which I think may be running Linux.

It should be able to. What model QNAP NAS is it?
I have an old TS412 qnap NAS here and I think it has an apache web server, php and mysql capabilities.

Otherwise it's time to roll up your sleeves!
Every engineer should be able to roll out a LAMP box in a short time these days as they are so handy.   :)

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 09:17:25 am »

It should be able to. What model QNAP NAS is it?
I have an old TS412 qnap NAS here and I think it has an apache web server, php and mysql capabilities.

Otherwise it's time to roll up your sleeves!
Every engineer should be able to roll out a LAMP box in a short time these days as they are so handy.   :)

It's a TS212. I might get the offspring to try and set it up for me.
Cheers.

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 10:24:04 am »
It's a TS212. I might get the offspring to try and set it up for me.
Cheers.

I just checked on my qnap NAS.
It should work OK. It has MySQL-5.1.73 and PHP-5.5.38 installed.
You have to enable the DB and Web Server from the control panel.
I also enable SSH and log in to work on the NAS on the internal network.
Web docroot defaults to /share/Web/

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 11:55:15 am »
Cheers Geoff, I've copied all of that and will gete the offspring onto it.
It might take a week or so. I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 10:03:09 pm »
Cheers Geoff, I've copied all of that and will gete the offspring onto it.
It might take a week or so. I'll let you know how it goes.

:-+ :-+ :-+

Offline mstck

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 07:05:33 pm »
Hi

I came across this by accident recently. It's still in Beta and it would appear that not much has been done with it since the Beta release.  As is, it might still be useful for basic storage  management.

http://bomer.co/

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 08:29:30 pm »
That is neat, but IMO this is the kind of thing I'd prefer as a php/mysql application as it does not matter what OS/computer you're on it's just always available, backed up automatically etc.  Very handy if you may also work from different locations, ex: have a small lab in your computer room and maybe a bigger lab in garage, with both having access to the same database without needing to install anything.

I need to start organizing my stuff physically and logically myself.  I have lot of bins of components, stuff I bought, or pulled out of random circuit boards but good luck finding anything specific.  :scared: 

There was a post about a guy who made wooden component boxes, I totally need to do this but first I need to build a shed so I can make room in the garage then insulate and add hvac to the garage so I can actually comfortably work in it.  Then I can setup a decent shop.  I like the idea of self built boxes that way they are consistent and if I later on need more I can just build them the same way.  Come out with a plan, build any needed jigs, then keep the setup handy.  Could then number them, and then put them in software. Could also have the datasheets in the same software and a basic spec sheet in the box itself like pin out etc.  Even simple things like 555 timers or op amps, I don't know the pin out or typical circuits off hand so I have to look it up each time.

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
Component Organizer Software
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 09:59:40 pm »
That is neat, but IMO this is the kind of thing I'd prefer as a php/mysql application as it does not matter what OS/computer you're on it's just always available, backed up automatically etc.  Very handy if you may also work from different locations, ex: have a small lab in your computer room and maybe a bigger lab in garage, with both having access to the same database without needing to install anything.

And that is exactly the reason I developed the axtparts system (see post below for URL). I need to access from multiple locations from multiple devices and also wanted data sheets, circuits, documents and boms for assemblies in there.

http://axtsystems.com/joomla31/index.php/projects/30-cat-axtparts/44-art-projects-axtparts
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:01:18 pm by DrGeoff »

Offline bill.coghill

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 05:41:19 am »
And that is exactly the reason I developed the axtparts system (see post below for URL). I need to access from multiple locations from multiple devices and also wanted data sheets, circuits, documents and boms for assemblies in there.

Just had a look at this expecting a half arsed database driven spreadsheet.  Wow - what a complete looking package.  Support for assemblies and sub assemblies, BOMs, datasheets...
I currently use an ERP program to handle parts management and BOM, but it seems to be more interested in the financials rather than being able to show how many of a thing I have and could I build 10 widgets from what I have in stock.  I am going to spin up a VM later and get a LAMP stack running to give this a go.

Bill

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 07:26:06 am »

Just had a look at this expecting a half arsed database driven spreadsheet.  Wow - what a complete looking package.  Support for assemblies and sub assemblies, BOMs, datasheets...
I currently use an ERP program to handle parts management and BOM, but it seems to be more interested in the financials rather than being able to show how many of a thing I have and could I build 10 widgets from what I have in stock.  I am going to spin up a VM later and get a LAMP stack running to give this a go.

Bill

Thanks Bill.
This is designed from the engineering/prototyping/small lab point of view, where you have a few hundred or thousand components in various places, boxes, tubs, crates etc and need to be able to put together a small run or prototype without spending 3 days searching through boxes and bags of components to find that elusive IC that you have 2 or 3 of but can't remember where you put them.
You can use as much or as little of the package as you like, starting with parts, components, datasheets, stock, assemblies, documents and BOMs.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:10:09 am by DrGeoff »

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 07:27:36 pm »
Wow just had a closer look at it too, I will definitely check it out.

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 11:08:31 pm »
Wow just had a closer look at it too, I will definitely check it out.

Cool.
Any issues, post back to this thread or the other one at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/electrical-parts-inventorymanagement-system

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 12:17:03 am »

Offline msr

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 11:23:28 pm »
Hi

I came across this by accident recently. It's still in Beta and it would appear that not much has been done with it since the Beta release.  As is, it might still be useful for basic storage  management.

http://bomer.co/

Oh, hi! BOMER developer here.

Actually a lot has happened since then, it's just the CHANGELOG and the website that haven't been updated.
Download BOMER now and you get more than "basic storage management". You can manage files, orders and projects (BOMs) and get real time pricing information.
A new website and more info about BOMER is to be released during the following weeks!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:41:52 pm by msr »

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 10:07:57 am »
Hi msr,

BOMER looks quite good. I've only had a quick play with it but it's the best free stand alone local data storage database / BOM package I've found yet.

A few questions:

Can you tell me what the SLabel and PLabel fields are intended for?
Am I able to add additional fields ie vendor names, vendor prices and vendor part numbers?

When entering parts I cannot see where to enter the part cost - when I create a project (BOM) a field shows up for the cost but its empty.

A field for SKU shows in the BOM but not in the general part details view. What /  how ?? Is this SLabel?

Can BOMs (Projects) be printed or just exported as .csv and then printed?

The use of the "Files" feature is not clear - what's it for?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm sure the answers are obvious but not to me!

A brief overview document on how to use it and what it can and can't do would be very useful.

Cheers
DTJ
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:48:11 am by DTJ »

Offline msr

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 09:00:44 pm »
Sure, thanks for asking! Designing the UI can indeed be quite challenging since we all think differently.

1) PLabel and SLabel stand for "Primary" and "Secondary" labels. So when you add a Part you can define a PLabel and SLabel (e.g. - Microcontroller > AVR). You can change labels in the Settings dialog and use them on Filters to help you listing Parts of given labels. I'm considering to have just on column for "Labels" that just join the PLabel and SLabel text. Would it make sense?

2) Parts should contain the "Manufacturing Part Number". All vendor-related information (SKU/vendor part number, prices) is displayed only on Projects and Orders tables/dialogs. That's because the price depends on the vendor (I call it Seller) you choose and the quantity you want to use which is Project/Order-specific. However, someone has already suggested to include the last price used/paid on a Part's info. Currently is not possible to add "custom fields" to Parts.

3) In Projects > BOM, when you click on the "+" button you should write the BOM references (e.g "R1, R2"). In order to see SKU and pricing info you need to "Assign Part" and after that you should see something like this (dummy data): http://prntscr.com/f2nzt2. BOMER takes into account MOQ and price breaks when displaying pricing info. Also, BOM refs can be imported from a CSV file.
You can also test this by creating an Order. Go to Orders > Add new one / Add Parts, then SKU and pricing info should be automatically displayed according to your Preferred Seller. You should see something like this: http://prnt.sc/f2ns7p

4) Every table (with relevant info) is exportable to a CSV file (right-click on the table, select "Export...") which you can then edit/print on your favorite spreadsheets app.

5) Files are files you want to have associated to your Parts/Projects/Orders, such as: datasheets, CAD drawings, invoices, etc (similarly to Labels, Files have Categories - also editable through Settings dialog). You can import them from your File System or from the Web. For example, when adding a Part, click on the "+" button (Files group) and choose "web" in ComboBox. That will show you all the documents (in this case datasheets) BOMER found on the web for that part. If you want to download it to your disk, select it and BOMER will take care of that.

Hope this clears things a bit.
Documentation and more info in general about BOMER is more than planned, it's just a matter of time.
May is the month! Things will gradually show up at bomer.co.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 02:28:17 am »
Thanks for the detailed reply msr. It makes more sense now.

For point 3):
Re price. I think it would be useful to have the last paid price as an option as well. I think it's useful to see prices in the "parts" view as well.
Re BOM references, I like to include hardware in the BOM. It might included say 2 x M2.5 nuts. Rather than call these Nut1, Nut2 it would be nice to just put "#2" to indicate a quantity of 2off.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf