Author Topic: Crazy crystal idea??  (Read 1586 times)

Offline medical-nerdTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • What's that coming over the hill?
Crazy crystal idea??
« on: October 17, 2017, 04:04:06 pm »
Hiya

I was just reading an introduction on crystals:

http://www.mtronpti.com/sites/default/files/files/understanding-quartz-crystals.pdf

When I had a crazy thought.  :popcorn:

Just think about natural crystal deposits. Oscillation is started by noise. There is certainly enough of that with earth tremors etc.
The deposits are relatively firmly mounted within the rock structure.
Do these deposits oscillate? If so, because of their thickness the frequency must be extremely low.
Ore deposits would act as conductors between piezoelectric areas so transmitting this over wide areas.

Or am I getting too much into the evolution of alternate lifeforms such as Star Trek's silicates??   :scared:

Cheers

'better to burn out than fade away'

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: Crazy crystal idea??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:30:50 pm »
You might want to get your medication reviewed...

Offline medical-nerdTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • What's that coming over the hill?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:44:34 pm »
Its usually me giving others strong medication.....

:-DD
'better to burn out than fade away'

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:36:21 pm »
The question kind of leads to this object:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schumann-Resonance-7-83Hz-Earth-Frequency-Brainwave-Entrainment-Pulse-Generator-/282597913883?epid=2159465125&hash=item41cc25f51b:g:4uYAAOSwbmdZg-3D

I've been trying to work out what it is claimed to do (as opposed to what it actually does - likely nothing :-) )

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:51:29 pm »
Hi, I think your idea is crazy, it takes pure quartz to make a useful crystal in the electrical sense and then you have to cut the quartz along the correct axis, cut and lap it to the correct thickness etc. But anyway the "earthquake lights" phenomenon was considered crazy until recently http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/01/140106-earthquake-lights-earthquake-prediction-geology-science/

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:10:00 pm »
Exactly. Large crystal deposits are piezoelectric. I actually did a research project on it once. Stresses in the Earth can cause large crystal deposits (or any quartz crystal containing rocks) to discharge, which can be anywhere from tiny and only detectable by equipment, to enormous enough to ionize the air. HOWEVER, they do not continuosly oscillate, it's more like a piezo sparker. The process can even be reversed, by pumping huge discharges into these rocks, they can acually force faults to move.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 04:51:13 am »
Did they ever figure out what those strange sounds around the world were years ago?  It seemed to be happening a lot then just died down.  Odd that it would just start for a short spurt and then stop.  Could it be some kind of weird oscillation effect that somehow got triggered? 

Or do I need more medication too?  :P

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 06:07:57 am »
Maybe unlikely, but not that crazy....

Alomg the same lines, natural nuclear reactors are also crazy, but apparently true!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf