Author Topic: Cruise ship extension: just cut it in half  (Read 8774 times)

Offline KjeltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Cruise ship extension: just cut it in half
« on: March 20, 2018, 08:39:09 am »
Can't believe this , incredible, all the pipes, elektra, getting the cut so clean, wow.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/18700-silver-spirit-cut-in-two.html

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Cruise ship extension: just cut it in half
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:36:21 am »

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:54:19 am »
In 2004 we upgraded two Swedish submarines by slicing like this and inserting a new ready built section containing a Stirling engine based propulsion system.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 10:03:14 am »
Yeah, it used to be called "jumbo-isation", & was common in the 1960s & '70s.
The old WA State Ship Koolama had it done back in the late '60s.

Online Mark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 11:32:06 am »
Reminded me of the George Eastman house (Kodak museum) where the house was cut in two to give the ballroom better proportions. 

In 1919, George Eastman sought to enlarge the conservatory in order to make the space oblong rather than square. His architect at the time, William G. Kaelber (1886–1948), drew up plans to cut the house in two and move the rear section 9 ft. 4 in. to the north using horizontal hydraulic jacks on railroad ties with special wheels and tracks. The project cost $750,000 and took approximately three months.

The following users thanked this post: Koen

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 04:23:59 pm »
9 ft. 4 in.
:palm: Do to Wikipedia since ?1960 in UK have the Metric System.  :rant:
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 04:31:01 pm »
I know of a manufacturing company that needed to add a large expansion but had no more ground space. They couldn't add another floor to their existing two story building because the new equipment would be heavy and the upper floor could not handle any more weight. So they cut the upper floor loose, jacked it up, and built the new floor in between. It worked out well and they were quite proud of their results.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 04:43:00 pm »
9 ft. 4 in.
:palm: Do to Wikipedia since ?1960 in UK have the Metric System.  :rant:

1) Metric measurements only became official in the UK in 1971.
2) The house being described is in the US and it's a historical account. Those are the units that would have been on the plans.
3) 9 foot 4" is probably not an exact figure. Whenever you have to do this kind of conversion you either get an over precise answer (2.8448m) or an inaccurate one (2.8m). Quoting either figure would be misleading whereas 9'4" gives a feel both for the size and precision of the measurement.
4) Are you going to do this every time someone mentions a non-metric measurement? I ask, because I've spotted it from you often enough that it's beginning to become annoying. I may be forced to adopt a policy of posting only in pre-SI units (dynes, Oerstead, Maxwells, mhos etc.) in retaliation.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: rob.manderson

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 04:43:52 pm »
The only people who complain about having to use Imperial units are those who don't know how to use them.

I know how to use both systems, and can, in many places, convert between the two on the fly.

@Cerebus.

We should form a coalition of people who refuse to use SI on the form just to annoy people who do use it!
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 04:59:44 pm »
The only people who complain about having to use Imperial units are those who don't know how to use them.
I dont need to know them because 97% of all Country in the World use the Metric System just 3 3rd World Country refuse to use it.
Even the NASA use it... :clap:
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 05:03:03 pm »
@Cerebus.

We should form a coalition of people who refuse to use SI on the form just to annoy people who do use it!

I never use imperial units out of preference (except for travel - 5 miles away, 30 mph - as those are still the posted ones in the UK), otherwise imperial units are a pain in the butt, but I'm quite capable of using them. Oh, and for pints of beer, proper imperial pints (568ml), not those puny colonial pints you have over there (473ml) or the stingy 0.5l or 330ml used by Johnny Foreigner.

When I was at school, many of the older textbooks still had cgs units in them, complete with all the constants needed just to make the units work. Yuck. Imperial units have a nice feeling of tradition to them, SI units just make sense and cgs units were clearly invented by misanthropic physics teachers who had sold their souls to some nether dwelling creature of their own foul imaginings.

Offline KjeltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 06:28:00 pm »
I stopped using imperial units and switched to the good side of the force.

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 06:52:25 pm »
Back to the subject in hand.

One part of me thinks the idea of a perfect cross-section through a cruise ship is the best thing since sliced bread. Another part of me mourns the fact that it's going to enable an even bigger oversized cruise ship to be born, full of the kind of tourists who 'do' somewhere like Venice while their cruise ship dwarfs the local architecture. So I'm in two minds.

I'm reminded of the sections of transatlantic telegraph cable that had been cut through and the ends polished that I first saw in the Science Museum in London when I was a small boy. That in turn reminds me of the cut-away diagrams that used to regularly feature in popular science magazines, Sunday colour supplements and boy's comics of a certain age. I do love a good cut-away diagram but you hardly see them any more. A shame.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 07:02:37 pm »
Can't believe this , incredible, all the pipes, elektra, getting the cut so clean, wow.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/18700-silver-spirit-cut-in-two.html

Wha...??

Can they do that?

I guess they can do that, they just did that!  :wtf:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 07:16:23 pm »
I dont need to know them because 97% of all Country in the World use the Metric System just 3 3rd World Country refuse to use it.
Even the NASA use it... :clap:

a reference to them is OK, while we dont design new stuff in imperial they are still used here and there, stop whining about it. Ever wondered why you can buy 19.05mm pipe ? some things change slowly because industry is not going to suddenly swap all of its equipment, feet is still widely used in some industries. And before people whinge about them being british imperial impositions remember we inherited them from the Romans so if you think something that has been a standard for over 2000 years is going to disappear just like that think again. I can use both and find thinking in units of inches and feet handy for stuff that is "yay big" but actual measurements are taken in metric and yes at work we are having problems with 3 inch pipe and 76mm hose......

So quit whining about it please, we all have to deal with it anyway.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 07:21:57 pm »
In 2004 we upgraded two Swedish submarines by slicing like this and inserting a new ready built section containing a Stirling engine based propulsion system.

And it's happening again as we speak. Not "quite" as big as a cruise ship of course but a fairly involved project none the less:

Photos from SVT (Swedish Television)
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/blekinge/ubatarna-ska-fa-en-uppdatering

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 07:54:19 pm »

Most cruise ships still in service were mostly assembled from pre-built modules in the first place. There's no surprise that major frame bulkheads will separate as cleanly as they went together.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 01:48:37 am »
I just love annoying people with my Yankee ways. If I feel especially annoying, I will subtly slip in a helping of colourful British spellings and pronunciations in.

Anyways, to the topic of this. Idk, whenever I see a modern cruise ship, especially like this, it just reminds me of the Costa Concordia. Ships are major elderly magnets, people who have a load of retirement money, and a load of time, two things that mean opportunity to anybody fluent in capitalism.

This is cool though. It seems a bit crazy and flush with technological hurdles, but they are the shipyard, and they know how to what do.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 02:35:58 am »
Woah that's pretty crazy.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 02:45:57 am »
At one stage this process was identified as a possible cause of this disaster..

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-43193699?intlink_from_url=http://www.bbc.com/news/topics/clep2dp7mvkt/argentina-missing-submarine&link_location=live-reporting-story

I think they had to cut the submarine across its section to replace the battery area and or drive mechanism.

'Cut and shuts' have always been a concern as a point of failure, whether it be from cars to ocean liners. Unless it is done rigorously to specs, it does just introduce another possible failure mode.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline CNe7532294

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 03:20:14 am »
I miss ocean liners instead. As the name suggests, these ships were meant to take on both pleasure seekers and travelers alike along with cargo across the ocean. The reason why we (stateside) moved from this to cruise liners was mainly due to us drinking the boeing redbull during the 50s-70s. Only pleasure current year folks get from boats nowadays is island/port hopping.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 03:31:46 am »
Submarines in the US have been made in slices that are then assembled since the 1970s.  Lets the slices be built in parallel allowing shorter construction time.  Amazing number of pipes and wires to splice, but it all seems to work out. 

It always impressed me that over much of the world and most of the submarine designs, when a major piece of machinery needs to be replaced they just cut a big whopping hole in the side, pull the old gear out and slide the replacement in.  They weld the hole back up and then back below the waves.  Lots of people depending for their lives on the welders and weld inspectors.  Now the same thing applies to wealthy tourists.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 03:51:07 am »
It's funny that some of the so called engineers, which are supposed to solve complicated calculus problems and read/write lengthy computer programs, can't gain a sense of what a foot is or what a mile is.

For a quick reference, 1ft=0.3m, 1in=2.5cm, 4mil=0.1mm, 1mi=1.6km, 1sqft=0.09sqm. Those numbers are not precise, but should do well in everyday life for a quick conversion.

Same thing works in reverse.  meter~yard  10km=6.2 mi.  1cm~0.5 inch.   Metric ton~ ton.  liter~quart

For temperature a few key temps helps  -40C=-40F=colder than a witches tit.  0C=32F=too cold to play warm weather sports.   26C~72F=room temperature.  100F~40C to hot to play outdoors

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 04:32:44 am »
  26C~72F=room temperature.

Bzzzt!

26C~79F != room temperature.  20C = 68F = room temperature.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 04:41:53 am »
Dunno if its just me, the moment I saw this, the 1st thing pop out in my mind is the various cables and connectors for connecting both cut ends.  :-/O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf