Author Topic: Dale Dougherty, CEO of Make magazine, accuses Naomi Wu to be fake  (Read 44497 times)

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
Re: Dale Dougherty, CEO of Make magazine, accuses Naomi Wu to be fake
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2017, 09:30:14 pm »
On the subject of girls doing amazing things, this may very well be the only video on YouTube of a girl taking apart lithium batteries, without blowing herself up:

There was a close call where one of the cells actually failed due to a bad internal connection and thus was still holding a charge.

That, of course, was done for research in order to make this guide on how to use 18650s:

In some of her other videos, she solders directly to lithium batteries. I have to admit that prior to that, I was too scared to solder to lithium batteries. After carefully watching her do just that, I gave it a try with 60 LiFePO4 32650s and ended up with the battery pack I mentioned earlier. Therefore, it could be said that a really modest girl indirectly helped a very show off girl...

I'll probably get dinged by the PC police for saying that's is a guy, I remember he said something about being trans some years ago, but it never seemed serious. not that it matters

edit, I see on the youtube channel about: 2015 started my MtF gender transition
I hadn't noticed ...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:38:36 pm by langwadt »

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2017, 11:03:41 pm »
I have next to no interest in the mathematical concept of 'limits'.  Suddenly, I want to watch math videos:

Wow, this was an excellent explanation of the concept of limits. Had forgotten some of those, but remembered them all now. Yes, the girl is beautiful, but it didn't distract me at all from the topic being explained. Very well done and subscribed for the integral topics coming up! :)
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2017, 01:06:51 am »
I have next to no interest in the mathematical concept of 'limits'.  Suddenly, I want to watch math videos:

Wow, this was an excellent explanation of the concept of limits. Had forgotten some of those, but remembered them all now. Yes, the girl is beautiful, but it didn't distract me at all from the topic being explained. Very well done and subscribed for the integral topics coming up! :)

I think she does a fantastic job.  I have gone through her limits, differential calculus and integral calculus videos.  I can only hope she does a series on differential equations and Laplace Transforms.  If I had a Twitter account, I might ask.  Alas, I don't...

I wonder if she has paid serious attention to the comments on her videos and decided that her audience is deranged.

If you have any interest in Control Systems, here is the beginning of a great series of videos.

There are some seriously smart people making video tutorials!

The following users thanked this post: fubar.gr

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2017, 01:58:18 am »
I watched one of her videos.  She certainly has some talent and creativity.  That said, I see no point to her making the video.  We see her construct, that's all.  No schematic, no BOM, no code, no nothing except watching her build, assemble and test.  She doesn't even verbally describe what she is doing.  She speaks English well enough that she could be doing that.  How does that advance the maker movement?  Maybe she does these things in other videos but I don't see me watching any more if them to see if it is the case.  Yes, she is pretty.  Yes, she is artificially endowed.  Yes, she can dress somewhat provocatively.  There are websites for that, not really appropriate for a maker video that any age could be watching, especially if there is no meal before the dessert. If she is making a living doing what she is doing, all the more power to her.  The eye candy doesn't make up for lack of real content that I have seen so far.

"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline FrankBussTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2017, 02:29:23 am »
We see her construct, that's all.  No schematic, no BOM, no code, no nothing except watching her build, assemble and test.  She doesn't even verbally describe what she is doing.

You are wrong, see for example this video:

And in her account on Thingiverse you can find the full BOM and the 3D models:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1707982
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2017, 03:20:39 am »
Fred, I watched the video.  Where does she say what LEDs she is using?  No where.  She just builds.  Where does she say anything about thingverse?  No where.  I wouldn't have known to look on thingverse without you telling me. 

I wanted to see what the flap was so I go to youtube and watch a video.  NO real information.  I watch a second video.  NO real information.  I am told to check thingverse.  She doesn't say check thingverse, anywhere.  You tell me to check thingverse.  See what I am saying?  I am not criticizing her in any way.  As I said, she has talent and creativity.  For me, there is a set of boobs but no project information in the video.  If I want to look at boobs, I have SWMBO.  I have watched a total of 3 videos.  I don't plan to watch more.  I hope she succeeds beyond her wildest dreams, but she has failed to capture MY interest.  'nuff said.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2017, 03:39:39 am »
In the description, she does link to two image/text blog posts with details, one of which has a link to the plans. Also, in the comments, someone asked for the plans and she replied with the link.

All that is lost if you're a videophile like I am and play it in mpv with fine tuned settings to get that awesome 4K upscaling on the GPU, but anyone who does that should know to go back to the page in order to read the info not in the video itself. (Side note: if you also do GPU mining, high quality upscaling only costs a fraction of a cent in lost profit over the 15 minutes or so of an average video. Just leave the high quality scaling turned on!)

As a counterpoint, Joanne Tech Lover ends each of her videos with her saying where to go for more info and it gets a bit repetitive after watching a few videos.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2017, 04:17:07 am »
On "The Great British Bake Off" do they give you the recipe for everything they cook? Maybe just watching somebody create build something is entertainment enough. And I guess it can be doubly interesting if it is something that is around or a little higher than the viewers level of skill.

I think Naomi Wu's channel has a whole post-modern vibe to it. She is somebody who could be judged for her external appearance (and often is, it seems), dressed for showing that appearance, doing something that is mostly nothing about her, and is cerebral and nerdy, and all the time enjoying it. I guess she is a nerd at heart.

So for me it is maker meet unintentional performance artist - I have to be honest and say I don't follow the channel, but I would rather watch it in preference to  the "The Great British Bake-off".

I can also understand why she confused Dale.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2017, 09:31:47 am »
I think she does a fantastic job.  I have gone through her limits, differential calculus and integral calculus videos.  I can only hope she does a series on differential equations and Laplace Transforms.  If I had a Twitter account, I might ask.  Alas, I don't...

I wonder if she has paid serious attention to the comments on her videos and decided that her audience is deranged.

If you have any interest in Control Systems, here is the beginning of a great series of videos.

e some seriously smart people making video tutorials!

Thanks for the info! I have a drone project in the works, so some control theory refreshers would be very helpful :)

I also read that Nancy studied at MIT ... Some people are so fortunate. I remember watching MIT class videos of a nutty professor explaining derivatives on a huge board. He was drawing diagrams with such ease and quality, it was amazing. He used to rattle the chalk to get dashed lines, amazing stuff. Maybe in another life I will be studying there :)

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2017, 09:53:28 am »
I also read that Nancy studied at MIT ... Some people are so fortunate.

If you don't need the diploma, many courses are free now:

https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2017, 01:32:23 pm »
I remember watching MIT class videos of a nutty professor explaining derivatives on a huge board. He was drawing diagrams with such ease and quality, it was amazing. He used to rattle the chalk to get dashed lines, amazing stuff.
In the hey day of chalk and blackboard lecturing quite a few lecturers seemed to put serious effort into perfecting their high speed straight and evenly dashed line drawing. Ah, the lost arts of the past..... :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2017, 02:44:31 pm »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2017, 03:11:06 pm »

That guy is an amateur. Nice dashing rhythm, but he resorts to a ruler half the time. :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2017, 03:43:54 pm »
That guy is an amateur. Nice dashing rhythm, but he resorts to a ruler half the time. :)

I just posted the first video I found in the category "Walter Lewin drawing dashed lines" and it is the only time I've seen him use a ruler, and I reckon I've watched about 40 hours of lectures from him. So perhaps a poor example.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2017, 06:10:26 pm »
 :-DD I wondered how he did it, no way that he can do it manually. And sure enough, there is a trick:

But wouldn't it be better to use a different color?

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2017, 07:42:10 pm »
Lewin is from a generation that put a man on the moon. Huge respect to them. If a student listens to that dude and doesn't learn, then he is not teachable, period :)

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2017, 10:16:45 pm »
Fred, I watched the video.  Where does she say what LEDs she is using?  No where.  She just builds.  Where does she say anything about thingverse?  No where.  I wouldn't have known to look on thingverse without you telling me. 

I wanted to see what the flap was so I go to youtube and watch a video.  NO real information.  I watch a second video.  NO real information.  I am told to check thingverse.  She doesn't say check thingverse, anywhere.  You tell me to check thingverse.  See what I am saying?  I am not criticizing her in any way.  As I said, she has talent and creativity.  For me, there is a set of boobs but no project information in the video.  If I want to look at boobs, I have SWMBO.  I have watched a total of 3 videos.  I don't plan to watch more.  I hope she succeeds beyond her wildest dreams, but she has failed to capture MY interest.  'nuff said.

Looks like run-of-the-mill 12V white LED strips to me.

First time I saw a video of her, but really, does that matter to you? She seems to get more done in a day than most of us in a week... Good idea on the wiring of the frames like that as well actually. My only real complaint about her is the wire stripper she's using, those things are horrible! (I'm a hardcore side cutter advocate when it comes to stripping wires.)

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2017, 06:04:59 am »
My only real complaint about her is the wire stripper she's using, those things are horrible! (I'm a hardcore side cutter advocate when it comes to stripping wires.)

I used a side cutter as well for years, but once I bought this, and it is really much easier, faster and more reliable (no more wires cut in half accidentally), I use it all the time now:

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2017, 12:51:16 pm »
Yeah, that style is ok. I don't like the Knipex because it exposes the spring though. The style she's using is annoying as hell to use because you have to hold the wires up to it, very annoying to use within an enclosure since it can't reach in very far. But the main reason to use these is if you're doing a lot of wire stripping, if it's just for one or two it's quicker to go for the side cutters anyway.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2017, 01:21:02 pm »
I have a Knipex wire stripper as well (the version which goes to 2.5mm^2). It works like a charm and much better than a side cutter. As a bonus it takes much less effort.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2017, 01:45:34 pm »
:-DD I wondered how he did it, no way that he can do it manually. And sure enough, there is a trick:

Isn't it obvious? He's using stick-slip oscillation, just varying the rigidity of his hand to alter the dash frequency.

Basically the same thing as with the fingernails on blackboard effect, only lower frequency. So if you played his chalk dotted line drawing sped up, it would sound really horrible.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2017, 07:26:10 am »
https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/932136250454163458
I ended up getting a lot of fame out of 100W of photovoltaics . I suppose the only way to get even more fame per watt of PV would involve putting stuff in space...
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2017, 02:46:30 pm »
See attached pic

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2017, 06:08:41 pm »
Go to 0:33 for a summary of how I felt about mining:

Actually, it was a feeling I first experienced when I began mining over 2 years ago (using cheap smartphones with Snapdragon processors), got renewed a year ago when I got some more cheap Snapdragon smartphones, and got renewed again just yesterday. The Snapdragon bit is still very relevant since the cluster of smartphones is still what's contributing the most to the profits that easily convert to a form Naomi accepts.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2017, 10:13:47 pm »
Back on topic...
https://makezine.com/2017/11/19/apology-to-naomi-wu/

Rumour has it Make is in financial trouble so let's hope there's a Maker Faire for her to be invited to next year...
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf