Author Topic: Dale Dougherty, CEO of Make magazine, accuses Naomi Wu to be fake  (Read 44532 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Dale Dougherty, CEO of Make magazine, accuses Naomi Wu to be fake
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2017, 10:37:08 pm »
Rumour has it Make is in financial trouble so let's hope there's a Maker Faire for her to be invited to next year...

Judging by the 'this kind of article is why I'm cancelling my subscription' comments against this article (and doubtless others like it), I can see what that might be true. It also speaks volumes about the quality of the editorial expertise being applied at the magazine.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2017, 11:20:31 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/embed/i7_zwFGz1aU
The boobz are made of silicone, I think.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2017, 11:55:34 pm »
Back on topic...
https://makezine.com/2017/11/19/apology-to-naomi-wu/
That text seems like it is copied from the manual 'how to recover from a media dissaster'. Perhaps you can get these texts from an on-line generator as well. Just tick some boxes stating the nature of your f***-up and click 'Generate' and there is your apology ready to copy and paste.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:57:46 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2017, 12:45:31 am »
Back on topic...
Rumour has it Make is in financial trouble so let's hope there's a Maker Faire for her to be invited to next year...

He got his arse kicked big time by someone higher up at Oreilly, bet your bottom dollar.

And I called it:

With feedback from Naomi, we are working on a set of actions Make: will take to address her concerns.
With permission from Naomi, we will feature Naomi and her work on the cover of the next issue of Make: along with a full-length story about her work.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:47:54 am by EEVblog »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2017, 09:24:04 am »
Back on topic...
That text seems like it is copied from the manual 'how to recover from a media dissaster'. Perhaps you can get these texts from an on-line generator as well. Just tick some boxes stating the nature of your f***-up and click 'Generate' and there is your apology ready to copy and paste.

Deploy the emergency diversity response crisis package!
I expect Dale to "move on" within the next 6 months. You don't survive this much radar exposure these days.

Offline FrankBussTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2017, 09:50:00 am »
Back on topic...

This looks more like an appropriate apology. I'm still not sure if he really means it and if he wouldn't do such stupid things in future again, but at least the actions described will more than compensate Naomi for the financial damage.

The boobz are made of silicone, I think.

Yes, she writes this in her official FAQ: 800cc cohesive gel implants.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2017, 10:07:04 am »
Damned if you do, damned if you don't, apparently.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2017, 10:17:08 am »
So... No such thing as bad publicity! Didn;t knew her channel even existed. I don;t like the content. It reminds my the girl with the nice cleavage that only plays a guitar.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2017, 10:19:49 am »
Are you saying you are pro-insincerity?

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2017, 10:58:54 am »
It reminds my the girl with the nice cleavage that only plays a guitar.

Which channel do you mean? I really like this guitar player:

I don't mind that she looks pretty, but she plays really awesome.
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2017, 11:04:01 am »
Did you read the apology? It is completely over the top and he clearly didn't understand the fuss he has caused. That is the sad thing. The apology Dale wrote is as if he has groped Naomi in the most inappropriate way. What he should have written is: "sorry I had a beer too many and tweeted something utterly stupid. As an editor I should know better and triple check a story before writing anything about it on any medium". That would have been something people can believe.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2017, 11:18:34 am »
It reminds my the girl with the nice cleavage that only plays a guitar.

Which channel do you mean? I really like this guitar player:

I don't mind that she looks pretty, but she plays really awesome.

This: https://www.youtube.com/user/JessGreenberg1/featured

Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2017, 11:22:15 am »
Well, more cleavage, but she doesn't play as good :)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2017, 10:45:00 pm »
I prefer girls/women like Jeri Ellsworth. Naomi Wu looks like she had a multiple plastic surgery. She might be good at 3d printing.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2017, 10:59:03 pm »
I don't recall saying anything of that nature.

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2017, 11:02:31 pm »
Deploy the emergency diversity response crisis package!
I expect Dale to "move on" within the next 6 months. You don't survive this much radar exposure these days.

By move on I suppose we're talking about the industry standard "Go directly to door, but first pass by HR first, collect your ridiculously large cheque if you have "manager" in your title somewhere?"  :)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2017, 11:03:32 pm »
Did you read the apology? It is completely over the top and he clearly didn't understand the fuss he has caused. That is the sad thing. The apology Dale wrote is as if he has groped Naomi in the most inappropriate way. What he should have written is: "sorry I had a beer too many and tweeted something utterly stupid. As an editor I should know better and triple check a story before writing anything about it on any medium". That would have been something people can believe.
I have read the apology. I think you're underestimating the backlash he has experienced in the past weeks. The first apology was inadequate, so he made sure this one isn't. He's addressing the issues people had with his comment fairly specifically, which indicates he does finally understand the fuss he's caused.

We should also not forget that he's American and part of an American company. With both the US culture being what it is, and the very active debate on the marginalisation of women in various ways, I don't think the apology is over the top.

But again, whatever he says, there'll be a group that's not satisfied. Damned if you do, damned if you won't once more.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2017, 11:28:26 pm »
I have read the apology. I think you're underestimating the backlash he has experienced in the past weeks. The first apology was inadequate, so he made sure this one isn't. He's addressing the issues people had with his comment fairly specifically, which indicates he does finally understand the fuss he's caused.

We should also not forget that he's American and part of an American company. With both the US culture being what it is, and the very active debate on the marginalisation of women in various ways, I don't think the apology is over the top.

But again, whatever he says, there'll be a group that's not satisfied. Damned if you do, damned if you won't once more.
I think the biggest issue is that he simply didn't understand the effect his remarks would have in China, where reputation is important, and Western opinions are takes seriously.

However the timing of the apology, immediately after the end of the SZ Maker Faire, seems somewhat "managed" to say the least. It has been obvious from immeditately after the first "Apology" that it wasn't enough, but has taken this long for something more substantial to come out.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2017, 11:33:28 pm »
I don't recall saying anything of that nature.
He said unfounded and unpleasant things. When they blew up in his face he responded with what looks like a boilerplate response, drawn up by a PR company. How is "Damned if you do, damned if you don't, apparently." not condoning this insincere response?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:49:49 pm by coppice »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2017, 11:36:35 pm »

Make no mistake, this apology (and it's wording) has been almost certainly forced upon him by the heads at Oreily media.

The price you pay for being in an influential position and having to own your words.
The thing about his claim and outburst is it was very deliberate and very well considered, he can't expect people to just forgive that.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2017, 11:50:41 pm »
He said unfounded and unpleasant things. When they blew up in his face he responding with what looks like a boilerplate response, drawn up by a PR company. How is "Damned if you do, damned if you don't, apparently." not condoning this insincere response?
I don't think it is boilerplate in the sense that it actually addresses the concerns levelled. Most boilerplate responses try hard to be as unspecific as possible, to avoid any actual responsibility. I also don't think another response would appease people more effectively. Here all the stops were pulled out, to make a definitive statement on the matter. I think that's probably the wisest thing you can do, as long as you act accordingly after. Maybe some people would feel it would be more sincere to have a less formal statement, but others will feel he just doesn't get it by having yet another unconventional response.

That's what I meant by "damned if you do, damned if you don't." Whatever you do, people are ready to crucify you for it. It might just be a different group of people.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2017, 12:00:28 am »
Make no mistake, this apology (and it's wording) has been almost certainly forced upon him by the heads at Oreily media.

The price you pay for being in an influential position and having to own your words.
The thing about his claim and outburst is it was very deliberate and very well considered, he can't expect people to just forgive that.
It has a fairly corporate feel to it, and is indeed likely carefully worded by a committee of lawyers and other people who's job it is to weigh every comma.

I don't mind him owning up to what he has said, or being held responsible for it. It's the being crucified for the apology I'm not too sure about. If he catches flak whatever he does next, it feels like it's not about what he did wrong any more.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2017, 12:06:10 am »
I find this an interesting clip and underneath the funny side it kinda touches on what I have been trying to put into these words for a while: IMHO Naomi Wu shows women they don't have to look geeky to be geeky. I have met quite a few women in (software) engineering jobs and they all wear typical male engineer outfits. Probably in order not to stand out and be accepted as a engineer (and for some it still is an uphill battle every now and then). I guess if you are dressed as an engineer you are an engineer.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 01:18:02 am by EEVblog »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2017, 12:19:55 am »
I find this an interesting clip and underneath the funny side it kinda touches on what I have been trying to put into these words for a while: IMHO Naomi Wu shows women they don't have to look geeky to be geeky. I have met quite a few women in (software) engineering jobs and they all wear typical male engineer outfits. Probably in order not to stand out and be accepted as a engineer (and for some it still is an uphill battle every now and then). I guess if you are dressed as an engineer you are an engineer.
This applies to men too. When I was on a gig a while back, I could be dressed in coveralls one day, and more formal attire or a suit the next. Going out for lunch, it was remarkable how differently people would treat me from day to day. Even if I wouldn't know how I dressed that morning, I could easily guess based on people's behaviour.

People use a lot of shortcuts when they interact with others. Sometimes that leads to prejudices and lumping people in a group they don't belong to.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2017, 05:02:05 am »
I prefer girls/women like Jeri Ellsworth. Naomi Wu looks like she had a multiple plastic surgery. She might be good at 3d printing.
In terms of pure engineering skills, I think Micah Elizabeth Scott is the one to watch right now. Not only does she do 3D printing and other mechanical engineering, she also does a lot of embedded development and hacking, machine vision using GPUs, as well as system design and integration. All that to assist in playing with her pet cat. If that's not an example of an engineer at heart, I don't know what is...

What I would like to see is TastyPC, CaitlinV3, or Joanne Chiang (all of them are models who enjoy building computers and gaming) getting (more) into DIY electronics and 3D printing, most likely relating to case modding. They would do well for those who think Naomi Wu shows off a bit too much or is a bit too skinny. (Side note: when I showed my cousin a video of Naomi, he thought she was Japanese! It says a lot when a Chinese guy makes that mistake...)

Something else that might be interesting would be a collaboration live stream with Dave and Naomi. At the least, when Dave plays professor like he often does, he'll have someone to play student, albeit more balanced since Naomi has more experience on the art side of things. Maybe more like a professor and a TA, with the audience playing the role of students.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf