Author Topic: Damm you DigiKey  (Read 7347 times)

Offline pirulo123Topic starter

• Contributor
Damm you DigiKey
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:48:54 am »
Hi All,

warning random rant ahead.

This week I brought a few cheap TFT's just for fun, I don't expect much from them because as usual they are made from toxic waste in china or somewhere far far away, but the real surprise was the nasty packaging done by digikey, look at how they wrap them:

Okay they aren't damanged but I expected them to be individually wrapped, is this what they call business as usual ?
Who's to blame digikey or the lcd vendor ?

Offline thmjpr

• Regular Contributor
Re: Damm you DigiKey
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 03:18:23 am »
Weird. Usually they would put each LCD inside one of their anti-static blue plastic bags.

Can you link to the part?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 10:30:23 am »
I've had the exact opposite with digikey packaging.
Them packaging stuff extremely well to the point of it being ridiculous.

When i added a few bits of heat-shrink to my order they shipped it in a separate triangular box that was 1.2M long!
A huge separate box just so they could send the entire length of heat-shrink without cutting or folding it.

I imagine in some cases you might want a continuous 1.2m length of heat-shrink but most people cut it into smaller lengths as soon as they get it.

I might add a comment to my next order with heat-shrink saying they can cut into 20cm lengths if it would make shipping easier.

Here's a pic of the package, you can see the cats tail for size reference
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:36:12 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 11:06:16 am »
I purchased some RAM off someone on ebay only to discover it was the wrong type for my PC which was my fault due as I didn't adequately research what RAM the motherboard would take.

The seller wouldn't accept returns but fortunately for me, it came wrapped in non-antistatic bubblewrap so I they had to accept me returning it on the grounds of incorrect packaging.

Offline EEwannabe

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 06:15:06 pm »
Might be a new employee. Even when I've bought the cheapest LCD's from them they've come individually packed before being grouped together.
- Patrick

Offline Lance

• Frequent Contributor
  • Resistance if futile if R<1Ohm
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 11:09:07 pm »
Probably, you just got a lemon. I doubt it'll happen again. Maybe send them an email if it's really bothersome.
#include "main.h"
//#include <killallhumans.h>

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:43:29 am »
yes they are clueless. they should not treat LCD the same as others component and get packed as one like above. scratched lcd can get annoying. at least they put divide or foamy layer to separate them.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

alm

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 04:13:55 pm »
Oh great, now the result will be that they get instructions to add an extra few layers of bubble wrap to every individual part for good measure. The displays usually have protective foil, so scratches aren't very likely. Still, Chinese ebay sellers pack their displays better than this.

yes they are clueless. they should not treat LCD the same as others component and get packed as one like above. scratched lcd can get annoying. at least they put divide or foamy layer to separate them.
Have you ever ordered from them? If they would treat them the same as resistors and bolts, the displays would have better packaging. This looks like the employee packaging it was asleep or something.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 05:46:11 pm »
The packers probably don't have any electronics qualifications. They're probably just paid minimum wage and are just students and people who aren't intelligent enough to do anything else.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 04:29:23 am »
I've had the exact opposite with digikey packaging.
Them packaging stuff extremely well to the point of it being ridiculous.

When i added a few bits of heat-shrink to my order they shipped it in a separate triangular box that was 1.2M long!
A huge separate box just so they could send the entire length of heat-shrink without cutting or folding it.

I imagine in some cases you might want a continuous 1.2m length of heat-shrink but most people cut it into smaller lengths as soon as they get it.

I might add a comment to my next order with heat-shrink saying they can cut into 20cm lengths if it would make shipping easier.

Here's a pic of the package, you can see the cats tail for size reference

I love the looks people get at FedEx when picking packages like this ( :o and  ??? ). The joys of the Internet.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:33:03 am by ivan747 »

Offline pirulo123Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 09:13:34 pm »
BTW, these are 2.4' New Heaven Displays, I think it was a NHD-2.4-240320SF-CTXI-FT1 (the hot bar flex version) nice little displays...
The rest of the box was okay, although I would have expected a few more silica gel bags, IC's, diodes and transistors all packed in antistatic bags.
Might be a new employee. Even when I've bought the cheapest LCD's from them they've come individually packed before being grouped together.
- Patrick
That was exactly what I thought, or maybe the bubblewap was over and guy was to lazy to get a new one  or maybe it was time to go home :o
What is really annoying is that they treat the most expensive item the worst possible way, that's unacceptable ! they don't know how to treat the little guy, but that is the de facto standard in this industry if you don't buy a million of something you get treated like a little kid trying to buy candy with dirty coins found deep inside the sofa...

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 09:16:26 pm »
I purchased some RAM off someone on ebay only to discover it was the wrong type for my PC which was my fault due as I didn't adequately research what RAM the motherboard would take.

The seller wouldn't accept returns but fortunately for me, it came wrapped in non-antistatic bubblewrap so I they had to accept me returning it on the grounds of incorrect packaging.

yea I had exactly the same

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 03:55:42 am »
I bought 5 or 6 fuses from Mouser once...They were ceramic 3AGs....You would think they might come in a small envelope, but instead them came in a 4x6x3 box with each individual box wrapped in at least 3 inches of solid bubble wrap. It was ridiculous. That's why I leave packaging instructions on Mouser every time I buy something now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf