Author Topic: Datasheet Pirates. Is there any way to stop these fools?  (Read 33169 times)

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Datasheet Pirates. Is there any way to stop these fools?
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2011, 06:45:42 pm »
Its not uncommon for glossywhite to inject an off topic personal opinion which is almost always critical of something.  I think its what has developed a reputation for in a very short time around here.

Every forum has one or two of his breed.  Love 'em or hate 'em.
-Time

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2011, 06:52:31 pm »
yes well let's just move on shall we ?

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2011, 06:56:21 pm »
Piracy - ODD, not a single mention of downloading stuff or digital works...  ::)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy

ODD - 15 instances of the word piracy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement
-Time

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2011, 06:57:20 pm »
Its not uncommon for glossywhite to inject an off topic personal opinion which is almost always critical of something.  I think its what has developed a reputation for in a very short time around here.

Every forum has one or two of his breed.  Love 'em or hate 'em.

I don't see it was AT ALL "off-topic". In fact, the complete inverse - it was MORE on topic than the topic was! Piracy of free stuff is not possible, and the word piracy is intentionally misleading and wrong.

Meh, you can lead a horse to water... I am wasting effort on those who stubbornly refuse to reason with common sense and logic. Call it "washing up liquid" for all I care, you'd still be equally as wrong as you are by calling it "piracy".

You have shown your complete and utter ignorance of how free software and the GPL work. Had you any respect for the copyright system you feign to adhere to, you'd know the term is a spin on words to make you feel like more of a criminal than you could EVER be, merely by downloading a COPY of something which is it is actually impossible to "steal".

:D Carry on with your quaint little rant about being ripped off - see you when you leave toytown.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:05:14 pm by glossywhite »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2011, 07:00:47 pm »

Oh how the blind cannot see.

Well I'll give you that any day  ;D

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2011, 07:08:56 pm »
I don't get why the semantics of this are being so fervently argued.  That alone is stupid in itself.  Language evolves with time and you are shallow and uninsightful if you can't understand that with our own evolution is the evolution of language.

The amount of words that have evolved multiple meanings through analogy is practically infinite.  I am sure every single instance of this had some narrow minded advocate (or group of advocates) claiming it made no sense as it did not directly align with all literal definitions of that time period.
-Time

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2011, 07:10:30 pm »
Do me a favour please - ban me, before I say something I know I don't mean, as I am not an unkind person by any means. I've wasted enough time on resistor twisting nerds who haven't a clue about life outside a circuit board.

Please, I am giving you explicit permission to ban me, saving me the temptation to lay it on the line to you all, which would be an utter waste of effort!

Mechatrommer - before I leave, you're the biggest waste of a translator's time I can imagine. Dave, you're a great chap with a great forum, but you are WAY too uptight, and take your YouTube a little too seriously mate. You're a good chap at heart - I know it, but your unforgiving nature and perpetual ranting will be your downfall if you don't address it. I am a hypocrite, and I am in no denial of this, so I shall spare you of my continued input, and re-focus my myriad skills where they are better applied, understood and wanted.

To all the rest of you, I have no problem - I hope you enjoy your time in trumpton, and I'll bid you a fond farewell - I hope you enjoy life thoroughly :)

Good bye, dear sheeple.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:14:42 pm by glossywhite »

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2011, 07:13:20 pm »
Haha... ooooooookkk.

Talk about a drama queen losing his cool.
-Time

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2011, 07:16:13 pm »
Haha... ooooooookkk.

Talk about a drama queen losing his cool.

Were I to lose my cool, I would have resorted to predictable and impotent insults of a profane nature. I am perfectly cool, which is why I have made the rational decision to allow myself to be banned. I'm wasting no more effort on idiots.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2011, 07:23:06 pm »
you can choose to stop posting any day, you will be banned if you overstep the mark, most of us are adults here and we like to treat people like adults

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2011, 07:36:48 pm »
You are quite behind in the times.  Piracy is a well established term used in modern society.  I don't get what you have to argue.

US Government:
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92preface.html
The Piracy and Counterfeiting Amendments Act of 1982

UK Parliament:
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/key-issues-for-the-new-parliament/security-and-liberty/copyright-and-piracy/
-Time

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2011, 07:38:07 pm »
here, we call taxi without license a "pirate", and its everywhere accepted by anyone, even policemen who take bribery. i vote not to ban glossy! :P :D

You are quite behind in the times.  Piracy is a well established term used in modern society.  I don't get what you have to argue.
he's implying all of us are fool including the government etc.

did i just make a wasteful translation? ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:40:14 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2011, 07:52:53 pm »
i vote not to ban glossy! :P :D

I vote you grow up !

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2011, 07:57:54 pm »
actually on many dvd's you buy there are antipiracy adverts and they use the word piracy

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2011, 08:01:04 pm »
Yea, I am not sure where his argument is coming from.  Maybe he thinks the actual terminology is doing real pirates an injustice?  :P

He should probably call Webster and take his argument up with him.

glossywhite, defending a true pirates rights everywhere!
-Time

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2011, 08:09:44 pm »
You had better go correct this guy, glossywhite.  Another battle is lost for you and your seafaring friends!  ---- >  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2796.0;topicseen
-Time

Offline ziq8tsi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2011, 08:45:06 pm »
When you pirate software or films you are getting around protective mecanisms and then going to lengths to duplicate and profit from the theft.

No, "piracy" very much refers to private and noncommercial sharing (and regardless of whether any protective restrictive mechanisms were circumvented).  Where there is realistic suggestion of a profit motive, the media cartel will up the rhetoric with terms such as "criminal counterfeiting" and "organised crime gangs", and vague suggestions of possible links to terrorism.

In most jurisdictions, noncommercial copyright infringement is not a crime (and it is certainly not theft) but merely a civil matter.  This is just one of many things that the copyright industry's PR spin seeks to obscure or misrepresent by careful (or deliberately sloppy) wording.

Of course, it does not matter what we agree to call something.  But it is perfectly valid to point out that the term piracy is hyperbolic in the extreme.  That it is intended to bring with it the moral preconceptions of one side of the discussion.  And that it is intended to mislead less knowledgeable readers.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2011, 09:49:12 pm »
Piracy of free stuff is not possible, and the word piracy is intentionally misleading and wrong.
Of course it's possible to pirate free stuff, all right I mean violate copyright by redistributing freely obtainable works.

Just because you can download something from a certain Internet site free of charge it doesn't necessarily mean you're free to do whatever you want with it. The author might've imposed a licence agreement stating you can't, modify it or redistribute it and the only way you can legally post it on a forum is by posting a link to the website you downloaded from.

I think the term piracy has possibly come to encompass any form of activity (legal or not maybe) that is more involved than the pure act of stealing. When you pirate software or films you are getting around protective mecanisms and then going to lengths to duplicate and profit from the theft. Like a pirate in a boat as you say does not simply break into a shop and steal stuff he arms himself with equipment to take over and get around others defence mecanisms in order to get to the loot (board a ship and kill the crew if neccesary). Wheather of not we used the word completely correctly in this case is not the case of debate.

No, that's not true and is a very poor analogy. When someone downloads something they're not entitled to they're not stealing anything at all because the creator doesn't actually loose anything as a result of the downloader's actions, it's not that simple.

Suppose you run a factory making multimeters and glossywhite steals a crate containing 1000 meters, each worth £100, you've just lost £100,000 worth of stock.

Take a similar scenario with software. Suppose you're running a software company producing BASIC for MCUs, each licence costing £100 and is protected by a DRM system which requires online registration. Now glossywhite writes a crack to circumvent the DRM and activation, puts it on his favourite filesharing network and 1000 people download it.  Can you really say you've lost £100,000?

You can't say that because that would be assuming everyone who downloaded it would've bought it. A large proportion of those who downloaded it probably only did so because they were curious or couldn't afford it so would've never paid for it: unlike the DVMs you've not lost a customer for each download. The only customers you've lost is those who would've paid for it and is impossible to prove. It's also possible that the illegal downloaders will show it to someone more honest, who will buy it and learn the software so their employers might buy it giving you more paying customers.

This is why Microsoft doesn't really care about people pirating their software in developing counties and didn't do much about it in the west until everyone was using it. Allowing people to use their software illegally just makes it more widely used, then when everyone is using it, they can tighten up on piracy, forcing people to pay.
http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/07/we-love-microsoft-software-piracy-in.html
http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=198000211&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2011, 10:23:38 pm »
I am thinking the operators of these sites are well aware of the legal side of things. If a document on there site does contain a 'Free to Public' clause the operators will point out they charge for 'access to there site', not for individual documents, therefore circumventing any 'free to Public' clauses.

As for the argument over the dictionary definition of 'Pirate', well, last time i checked, this was an EE Blog and in no way connected to Oxford. So i dont think this blog is the correct place for such discussions (as humorous as they are). ;D

Just my 2 cents.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2011, 10:49:50 pm »
You're pathetic, and a cock.
and you dont have one :D ok now i've grown up... i vote to ban glossy! before he put my face poster up on the thread. :P
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2011, 10:54:28 pm »
You're pathetic, and a cock.
and you dont have one :D ok now i've grown up... i vote to ban glossy! before he put my face poster up on the thread. :P

I vote to ban me TOO, dimbleweed! That was the POINT  ::)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2011, 10:56:57 pm »
Why don't you just quit?

I say don't ban glossywhite, don't give him the satisfaction. He'll probably just create another account anyway.

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2011, 10:59:41 pm »
Why don't you just quit?

I say don't ban glossywhite, don't give him the satisfaction. He'll probably just create another account anyway.

Okay, if that's what you want. Make sure you're certain you want me to stay though...

Create a new account?  ;D yeah, sure... course  ::)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2011, 11:11:23 pm »

I vote you grow up !

he's doin it! vagarafeftycentakilo!

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2011, 11:37:23 pm »
glossywhite is no longer with us.

This is not due to his constant personal attacks against people who disagree with him but for creating dozens of spam threads.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf