Author Topic: PHYWE Analog Multimeter  (Read 12689 times)

Offline ElectroElvisTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • http://electroelvis.com/
    • ElectroElvisBlog
PHYWE Analog Multimeter
« on: December 19, 2011, 09:17:40 pm »
Hello folks,

i have a question regarding of quality and value of one multimeter from company named PhyWe. It's about multimeter series 07026.00

Specs are (translated from german):
 Voltage: 0.1 V-1000 ...
    first .. 1000 V ~
• rated current: 0.1 mA ... 10 A-
    1 mA ... 10 A ~
• Impedance: 20 k ... 2 Mohm
• level: -20 ... +62 dB
• Temperature: -
• Input resistance: 12 k?/V-; 4 kW / V ~
• Accuracy class: 1,2 -, 2,5 ~
• Overload protection: by fuse high voltage diodes and
battery • (not included) : 2x R6 (11620.34)
• Fuse: F 10H (07503.01)
    0.032 M C (07500.03)

here is also link to its original site and pics.

1. http://shop2.phywe.de/prod/de/540/425324/vielfachmessinstrument-07026-00.html

2. http://elektrotehnika.freehostia.com/content/view/29/28/

I would be gratefull for any feedback about it.

Offline XynxNet

• Regular Contributor
Re: PHYWE Analog Multimeter
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:53:50 pm »
They are for educational use. Quality is ok for their intended use. I would not use them for high voltages because there isn't much protection.
One problem is the quality of the mirror coating. It goes blind after some years of use. Those I have at work are around 10-15 years old.

If you are interested I can disassemble one and take some pictures.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:57:40 pm by XynxNet »

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 10:28:23 pm »
I like allot the screen of it, amazingly easy to read.

About the brand I have no clue.
But it can go to 10kHz and this is good.  :)

I have a similar one, that I really do love.  ;) ( Love by the first sight)

• Regular Contributor
    • ElectroElvisBlog
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 10:54:13 pm »
Thank you for fast replies Kiriakos-GR nd XynxNet.

@Kiriakos-GER and XynxNet: i have one and i was asking about it because i would like to sell it and buy Digital Multimeter since to be honest this is way to complicated to read for me as beginner, and i hav ehard time figuring out what is what on it. I got it from school and its i would say in almost perfect condition except battery cover is missing.

I am attaching few photos for reference. I was curios to see if i can get some bucks for it or should i just keep it?

Can you show me what you mean by "mirror goes blind"?

+ i have no idea how to calibrate Ohm's range with side button.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:01:33 pm by Elvis O. »

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:07:14 pm »
This is an amazing multimeter, do not make the stupid think to sell it.
They do not make such high quality analog multimeters any more.

About using it, ask the advice of one more expert than you.
This multimeter is very easy to use, you just need a bit of help, and that's all.   :)

Mirror called the shiny half cycle in the screen that you can see the reflection of the needle.
In your case its perfect as new.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:24:25 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:48:57 am »
A blind mirror is the one with the silver coating peeled off, so it does not reflect light anymore and becomes dark.

The mirror behind the needle is there to elliminate the parallax effect. The corect use is to look at the needle from above so as NOT to see the needle reflection in the mirror. Then you are looking at the needle perpendiculary from above.

Analog multimeters have advantages and disadvantages. If you know how to handle these shortcomings, then you are fine. I am not telling you to sell it, but today an analog meter is best used for just some measurements, while the general measurements are made with DMM's (Digital MultiMeters).
Questions are welcome, of course.
Wife hates words like Fluke, Ersa ...

• Regular Contributor
    • ElectroElvisBlog
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:27:25 am »
Ok, thank you for answers.

I equiped photo with few numbers and letters to represent each line and button.

Could sombody be so kind to briefly explain me how to properly use this, numbers(1,2,3,4) according to big rotating button(A) and how to read the scale properly in each mode.

And How to calibrate Ohm's scale with side rotating button which is not represented on picture.

It is clear to me that with center (C) button you calibrate big scale to zero so it reads accuratly.

To add so there will be no confusion, i am not planin to do anything with Main power 240V AC, all i am interested (for now) is 3-12V max to 1A
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:31:06 am by Elvis O. »

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 10:15:53 am »
Step by step:
Scale numbered "1" is used to read values on 1/10/100 ranges selected by the button "C".
Scale numbered "2" is used to read values on 3/30/300 ranges selected by the button "C".
Scale numbered "3" is used to read the values when you measure resistors, because this scale is not linear.
Scale numbered "4" is used to read attenuation, but I cannot figure out on which position.
The Ohm scale is calibrated by adjusting the B button until the needle reaches the right end of scale.

• Regular Contributor
    • ElectroElvisBlog
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 10:42:10 am »
IF i understood correct, if i have 9V batteryit should be like this:

Scales should show:  1. 90 on scale 1. (if Button A is set to 10)
                                  2. 9 on   scale 2. (if Button A is set to 30)
                                  3. 9 on   scale 1. (if Button A is set to 100)
                                  4. 1 on   scale 2. (if Button A is set to 300)

For Ohm's when calibrate it to 100 on scale it should be (if i measure 1k ohm resistor):

1. 1k on scale 3    (if Button A is set to x1)
                                  2. 100 on scale 3  (if Button A is set to x10)
                                  3. 1 on scale 3      (if Button A is set to x100)

Am i getting this right or are there any mistakes?
So ipman you are sayig that dB coulndt be measurest since there is no Button A sellection for it?

Thank you for help.

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 11:00:29 am »
Yes, this is right.

For decibels: The manual should describe where to position the A button, but I cannot figure out based on what's written on the front panel.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:04:34 am by ipman »

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 11:04:51 am »

So ipman you are sayig that dB coulndt be measurest since there is no Button A sellection for it?

You can read decibels using the Volts ranges in the ~ (AC) mode. Refer to the table shown on the back to learn how you should adjust the reading.

Example, if you use the "1V" range, you should substract 10dB from the value read from the "dB" scale.

(And you can obviously read the manual or find on the internet a lot of info of how to use an analog multimeter, but I digress)

However, my personal opinion is that the dB scale is rarely useful in this case since the AC rectifying is done using diodes. Thus, any low voltage AC readings are not significant, which is where dB readings are actually useful.

My personal opinion is that this multimeter is useful for DC voltage, current and 50Hz AC (> a few volts). Forget about other things.

My advice is to keep this one and buy an inexpensive, but good quality digital multimeter. If you are serious about the electronic hobby/profession, you will re-discover this analog one in a few years and you will appreciate the low microamps scale and the coolness of the analog indicator.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 06:35:43 pm »
One thing that I think has not been fully explained about the ohms scale. To use rotating knob B you short the probes together before making a measurement and adjust knob B until the needle sits on 0 ohms. Then you measure your resistance.

Offline XynxNet

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 06:53:21 pm »
I would not sell it either. It is always good to have an analog multimeter around, because in some aspects they are better than the (cheap) digital ones.
But if you want to sell it.... the price for a new unit in germany is ~267€.
http://www.phywe.de/51/pid/2275/Vielfachmessinstrument-mit-Ueberlastschutz,-B-.htm

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 09:27:43 pm »
the price for a new unit in Germany is ~267€.

Oh my!!  lock it on the safe-box  :)
I got my BBC Metrawatt used around 45€ and shipped, but ebay is another story. 

• Regular Contributor
    • ElectroElvisBlog
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 09:45:24 pm »
:) I will definitly keep it now that is also nicely explained to me how evrything works. Before that i had one little digital Voltcraft meter i bought directly from Conrad for 5.99€:D

It is funny also that this Analog Multimeter is/was produced in Slovenia, well atlest Iskra is from Slovenia (my origin country).

Anyone have any "comments" about  Conrad products? Few youtube chanels i watched is just trashing about theri lab power supplies and other accesories.

alm

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 12:50:06 am »
Conrad products are usually rebadged. Many of their DMMs are made by Uni-T and range from cheap crap (my guess is that this includes your € 5.99 one) to OK for their price. In the past some were made by Metex. Conrad products are usually not high-end or top quality (you won't find the equivalent of a Fluke or Agilent DMM under the Conrad brand) but some are decent value.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf