Author Topic: DaveCad PRO  (Read 17700 times)

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: DaveCad PRO
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 07:41:49 pm »
We don't typically use multiple paper sizes in the US. Letter is nearly used for everything. We have Legal size which is basically a long Letter. There's also Tabloid but only used in publishing.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 09:26:57 pm »
We don't typically use multiple paper sizes in the US. Letter is nearly used for everything. We have Legal size which is basically a long Letter. There's also Tabloid but only used in publishing.

That must get very restrictive sometimes. Many large office printers and photocopiers in the rest of the world can handle A3 paper as well as the usual A4. Very handy for large schematics and charts.

And of course if you fold an A3 sheet in half you get A4. Each ISO standard size is half the previous one, beginning with A0 with an area of 1 m2. Not so silly, really...

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 09:40:16 pm »

Tabloid - 11"x17" is also an ANSI size B drawing.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 09:41:55 pm »
I always use Legal for schematics, Letter is too small.

The idea of using a sqrt(2) aspect ratio so you can scale is clever... but how often is it really necessary to scale paper sizes? :-// Maybe in engineering, but elsewhere?
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline strangelovemd12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 10:18:13 pm »
It makes the "enlarge" button on a photocopier much more useful, though the US does do some paper size doubling itself.

Also want to note that this project was forked in about 36 hours.  Over paper sizes.  New record.
Please hit my ignorance with a big stick.

Offline Ment11Topic starter

• Contributor
    • OverClocked.TV
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 10:24:06 pm »
It makes the "enlarge" button on a photocopier much more useful, though the US does do some paper size doubling itself.

Also want to note that this project was forked in about 36 hours.  Over paper sizes.  New record.

:) I didn't even think too many people would be interested in it when I posted it.
You can overclock anything.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 11:09:46 pm »

In the open source software world, I would not be entirely shocked to see a huge project forked over one dude's opinion on whether C++-style comments // are appropriate in C /* */.

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 11:15:04 pm »
:palm: :palm: :palm:
"Useful INFO" footnote

You really need that written down?

CAD is all caps, as it is an acronym for "computer-aided design".
:palm: I just noticed the CAD mistake, I know what CAD is, I made this at 2am and wasn't paying attention.
As far as the footnote it was meant to be funny, I really hope you know that useful info.

I can see a lot of people justifying they had a mistake because they were doing the work at 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 am.

You either accept the error and do not justify or don't work that late.

David.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 11:20:03 pm »
The idea of using a sqrt(2) aspect ratio so you can scale is clever... but how often is it really necessary to scale paper sizes? :-// Maybe in engineering, but elsewhere?

You already have advantages in production. And it continues with packing/shipping, down to the end user who wants to scale or place multiple pages on one sheet.

And there is the special fun of of folding an A0 or A1 page to A4, so it fits in a normal binder, and can be unfolded to full size without the need to take the sheet out of the binder. That is a technique which is even standardized somewhere and makes use of the aspect ratio.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline strangelovemd12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 11:21:15 pm »
In the open source software world, I would not be entirely shocked to see a huge project forked over one dude's opinion on whether C++-style comments // are appropriate in C /* */.

C is a fundamental constant.  This concept of C++ confuses and infuriates me!  Fork!
Please hit my ignorance with a big stick.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 11:49:45 pm »
And there is the special fun of of folding an A0 or A1 page to A4, so it fits in a normal binder, and can be unfolded to full size without the need to take the sheet out of the binder. That is a technique which is even standardized somewhere and makes use of the aspect ratio.

OK.... you just sold me on the ISO sizes. :-+

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2013, 11:57:50 pm »

That must get very restrictive sometimes. Many large office printers and photocopiers in the rest of the world can handle A3 paper as well as the usual A4. Very handy for large schematics and charts.

And of course if you fold an A3 sheet in half you get A4. Each ISO standard size is half the previous one, beginning with A0 with an area of 1 m2. Not so silly, really...

The printers themselves are no different, the trays have markings for A(n) sizes. I just don't think the paper is commonly available without special ordering it.

Offline Ment11Topic starter

• Contributor
    • OverClocked.TV
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 12:06:11 am »
:palm: :palm: :palm:
"Useful INFO" footnote

You really need that written down?

:palm: I just noticed the CAD mistake, I know what CAD is, I made this at 2am and wasn't paying attention.
As far as the footnote it was meant to be funny, I really hope you know that useful info.

I can see a lot of people justifying they had a mistake because they were doing the work at 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 am.

You either accept the error and do not justify or don't work that late.

David.

Point taken, I still feel like an idiot for making that mistake.
You can overclock anything.

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 01:08:43 am »

Whether C++-style comments are what? Why'd you cut off there? Where's your semicolon?

COMPILER ERROR
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 09:56:39 am »
I'm just amazed that any engineers try to argue in favour of Imperial measurements and paper sizes. It comes up on /. from time to time and you get people making bizarre claims like Imperial is better because 12 can be divided evenly by more factors... I mean, they are aware that the number 12 exists in base 10 as well, right?

My traditions are superior to your traditions! :P

It's just what you were raised with that's all. I fully understand the technical merits and benefits from an engineering standpoint. Just sometimes it's easier to quickly eye-ball something and say "That's about 4 inches" than think, "Ok 4 inches, now what's the conversion factor to cm. Crap!"

Offline Kremmen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2013, 12:40:48 pm »

You already have advantages in production. And it continues with packing/shipping, down to the end user who wants to scale or place multiple pages on one sheet.

We did that all the time when i was involved in working with electrical schematics for paper machines (there was a lot of that stuff per one machine!) Practically every schematic was at least an A3 or A3-extended (doubled on the short instead of the long side). All sheets were neatly folded to A4 size to fit standard binders. The sheet borders even had small tick marks to show the proper folding lines.
Nothing sings like a kilovolt.
Dr W. Bishop

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2013, 04:00:18 am »
Regarding the paper sizes debate, out of the blue I stumbled on this video. Obviously from a European/Metric point of view.  Enjoy!

Offline johnnyfp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2013, 05:03:43 am »
It's just too big and useful.

I Re-engineered it.

Presenting the DaveCAD Pro Mini. Half the size, Twice the price. And has the word Mini on it.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2013, 04:11:55 pm »

These days it's called EDA  ;-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf