Author Topic: Did TI ever make a 4000 series data book?  (Read 8912 times)

Offline dosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Did TI ever make a 4000 series data book?
« on: July 26, 2017, 04:58:29 am »
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, still kind of new to the forum.

I just realized I've never seen the actual book the blurry CD4XXX PDF datasheets come from. I have their TTL, linear, etc. books but don't think I've ever come across a TI book with 4000 logic in it, but I have a ton of TI 4000 logic so it must have been pretty popular. It's irrelevant in 2017 because I just print what I need and keep it in a big binder (and assume most don't even do that now) but I just want to know what book these were contained in. I've seen CMOS books from them but they're for 74HC IIRC.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
Re: Did TI ever make a 4000 series data book?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 05:16:29 am »
I cannot remember if there was ever a TI 4000 series databook, but the 4000 series was designed by RCA starting in the late 1960's. There definitely were RCA 4000 series databooks.

Here is a much later 1983 version:
https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_rcadataBooMOS_35821859

If you click on the download link, for some reason, you get the 1986 HC/HCT series databook, but the one on the webpage is the 4000 series.

I would think that TI came to the 4000 series cmos fairly late. I seem to remember Harris was one of the early second sources of the 4000 series. Philips bacame pretty big in the improved cmos versions and they had some great databooks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:24:59 am by amspire »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 05:24:14 am »
Not before Feb '75.
Listed in my NI Linear IC product catalog:

Digital IC's
54/74
54H/74H
54L/74L
74S

But there's a listing for CMOS IC catalog with headings:
Gates
Buffers
Flip-Flops
Counters
Shift Registers
Decoders/Multiplexers
Memories
Arithmetic Functions
Special Functions

One would presume the CMOS IC book is the one you're looking for.  :-\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline dosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 05:24:39 am »
Yeah I know I've seen really old (early 70's) RCA 4000 series books, and some more recent ones from Motorola, National, and (I think) Signetics. I'm just wondering because the vast majority of the 4000 logic I've come across has been TI-made CD4000

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 05:35:27 am »

I just realized I've never seen the actual book the blurry CD4XXX PDF datasheets come from. I have their TTL, linear, etc. books but don't think I've ever come across a TI book with 4000 logic in it, but I have a ton of TI 4000 logic so it must have been pretty popular.
If you look at that link, you will see that this TI datasheet was from Harris. It is probable that TI never wrote any 4000 series databook themselves. I seem to remember that National Semiconductors (now owned by TI) did have a 4000 series databook.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:39:28 am by amspire »

The following users thanked this post: dos

Offline dosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 05:37:33 am »

I just realized I've never seen the actual book the blurry CD4XXX PDF datasheets come from. I have their TTL, linear, etc. books but don't think I've ever come across a TI book with 4000 logic in it, but I have a ton of TI 4000 logic so it must have been pretty popular.
If you look at that link, you will see that this TI datasheet was from Harris. It is probably that TI never wrote any 4000 series databook themselves. I seem to remember that National Semiconductors (now owned by TI) did have a 4000 series databook.

Wow, totally missed that, thanks!

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 05:51:38 am »

If you look at that link, you will see that this TI datasheet was from Harris. It is probable that TI never wrote any 4000 series databook themselves. I seem to remember that National Semiconductors (now owned by TI) did have a 4000 series databook.
I'm thinking back that some of the logic datebooks were titled things like MSI/LSI logic, rather than specifically CMOS 4000. It'll need a trip to the archives but I might have a couple of early logic reference books though 74HC/HCT took over much of the general purpose logic rather quickly.

Offline dosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 06:10:54 am »
Mystery solved, the datasheets are from RCA/Harris databooks. If you look at the 4026 datasheet I linked the TI logo appears to be pasted on, and this 1983 RCA CMOS databook's sheets look almost identical: http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/rca/_dataBooks/1983_RCA_CMOS_Databook.pdf

I'm guessing the TI sheets are scanned from a later book, probably after RCA was bought by Harris, perhaps this one (which I can't find in PDF):

EDIT: in searching I found this great resource for many manufacturer's databooks which helped me narrow this down quickly: http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:14:37 am by dos »

The following users thanked this post: laneboysrc, Ian.M

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:16:18 am »
TI never had their own metal-gate CMOS (4xxx) series.
In 1998, they bought the logic division from Harris and so extended the portfolio with CD4xxx parts.
There was never any real effort to change the datasheets to TI format, they are simply scanned Harris datasheets with a TI logo on top.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 12:36:10 pm »
Not before Feb '75.
Listed in my NI Linear IC product catalog:

Not NI (National Instruments) but National Semiconductor. I love that databook more than all the others, because it the devices were fascinating.
It is here, along with other great National databooks... http://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22National%20Semiconductor%22

Another great one for the time was Tower's International Transistor Selector Guide. You can still get it here for free...https://archive.org/details/TowersInternationalTransistorSelector

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 10:30:31 pm »
Not as good as non-blurry scans of the pages, but here's what they look like.

I have a lot of early TI databooks, but no TI 4000-series CMOS book. Not sure if they ever did one.
Thought I had an RCA 4000-series one as well, but didn't find it where it should have been on the shelves.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:37:15 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 01:20:00 am »
Not as good as non-blurry scans of the pages, but here's what they look like.

I have a lot of early TI databooks, but no TI 4000-series CMOS book. Not sure if they ever did one.
Thought I had an RCA 4000-series one as well, but didn't find it where it should have been on the shelves.

I recycled most of my old data books a few years ago but I saved the Motorola CMOS book along with the Motorola semiconductor book.  All my National books are no more, so I substituted the Motorola  MECL book to give that nice blue look.   :-DD

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 01:24:42 am »
I bet if we all polled our resources we could make a pretty decent historical tech library.   

This RCA book is very tiny print and thick with massive amounts of information in it, including the teletype character code.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline dosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 01:50:07 am »
I bet if we all polled our resources we could make a pretty decent historical tech library. 

If you check out this link I posted you'll see someone has already done that, it's seriously amazing. Maybe the owner of this server is a poster here?

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 04:48:24 am »

Back in 2011 TI had a sale on their 1988 TTL Logic data book. Only 10 cents with next day air shipping included. So I bought one.

I wouldn't mind having some kind of 4000 series data book. I may have to track one down.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 07:26:48 am »
This RCA book is very tiny print and thick with massive amounts of information in it, including the teletype character code.
 (and the pics)

Ah! Now I have to find one of those. For my collection of antique data format references.
Could you please post the manual publication details - exact title, date, publisher, any ISBN, etc?

Incidentally, this: http://www.baudot.net/docs/smith--teletype-codes.pdf

If you check out this link I posted you'll see someone has already done that, it's seriously amazing. Maybe the owner of this server is a poster here?

Bitsavers is a group effort. Yes, it's wonderful. But...
 - That RCA manual is not there (I think.)
 - Typical scan flaws. For eg see http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/rca/1802/MPM-201A_CDP1802_User_Manual_1976.pdf
   Scanned at decent resolution, but still in f*cking FAX mode (1 bit/pixel) so edges of fine details are totally messed up.
   Dear God, why can't people grasp that retaining a bit of gray scale is essential? 4 bits/pixel minimum, please!
 - Skewed pages, skewed pages everywhere. Grr...

SOMEDAY, there will be a means to bulk scan literature to an acceptable quality of digital representation, but there isn't yet. This is why keeping all the old physical manuals is still essential. Otherwise future generations will have nothing from this era but a mountain of appallingly shitty scans; often more infuriating than nothing. Foldout schematics with bits missing for instance.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:45:15 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline dosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 10:10:39 am »
Back in 2011 TI had a sale on their 1988 TTL Logic data book. Only 10 cents with next day air shipping included. So I bought one.

Ugh, I read about that long after the fact and would have really liked a new one, mine's rough and about to fall apart. If anyone has one in good shape they don't want I'll gladly give you a few bucks+shipping for it.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 10:16:00 am »
Mine fell to bits years ago.

I have found the TTL Cookbook and CMOS Cookbook titles by Don Lancaster to be good enough quick reference substitutes. You can get hold of them for virtually nothing. They also seem to avoid covering the less common parts i.e. the ones that make you go "wooh that's a really nice IC" and then find the only modern source is eBay for $50 from China.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 11:42:42 am »

Very nice.  Took a quick glance and there was Tundra. 

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 05:27:28 pm »
Got the RCA book, CMOS with the metalisation layer drawings in it, along with the Ti TTL databook in the light orange they used, plus the 1982 Dallas Semi databook ( with all the vapourware, and I ordered some of the wafers as well) in somewhat well used condition.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2017, 06:10:23 pm »
Bitsavers is good, but anyone who wants to scan and upload should also consider putting a copy at archive.org .

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 08:33:57 pm »
In storage I have 4000 series books from National, Motorola/On, and I think RCA or Harris or both, and maybe some others like from a Japanese company.  I do not remember ever seeing a TI one.

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 08:49:14 pm »
In storage I have 4000 series books from National, Motorola/On, and I think RCA or Harris or both, and maybe some others like from a Japanese company.  I do not remember ever seeing a TI one.

Motorola/ON, yes
RCA/Harris, yes
"Japanese" = Toshiba, yes
National never did 4000-series, they did have their own 74Cxxx-line, though
TI also never did 4000-series, but bought the Harris line in 1998. Never bothered to make a TI data book.
Other smaller players were in as well, like SSS Inc.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 09:01:54 pm »
I was asked about the black RCA book I show.  The book is marked as follows:

RCA
GOVERNMENT SERVICES

FIELD ENGINEER'S
TECHNICAL MANUAL

RCA FIELD ENGINEERING
GOVERNMENT  SERVICES
RCA SERVICE COMPANY
A DIVISION OF RADIO CORPORATION OF AMERICA

There is no ISBN number.  The book is dated 9/14/60.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 10:54:12 pm »
I was asked about the black RCA book I show.  The book is marked as follows:

RCA
GOVERNMENT SERVICES

FIELD ENGINEER'S
TECHNICAL MANUAL

RCA FIELD ENGINEERING
GOVERNMENT  SERVICES
RCA SERVICE COMPANY
A DIVISION OF RADIO CORPORATION OF AMERICA

There is no ISBN number.  The book is dated 9/14/60.

Thanks for that. Still having no luck with net searches though. Another one for the ebay standing search list.

One good thing came of this so far - I'd either forgotten or never come across the ebay Vintage Manuals category.
eBay > Consumer Electronics > Vintage Electronics> Vintage Audio & Video Electronics> Vintage Electronics Parts & Accessories> Vintage Electronics Manuals
https://www.ebay.com/b/Vintage-Manuals/39996

Lots of very tempting things. But as usual I don't have lots of spare cash. Oh well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf