Author Topic: Digital drivers licences are now a thing in Australia  (Read 4761 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Digital drivers licences are now a thing in Australia
« on: May 13, 2018, 12:53:39 am »
The state of New South Wales in Australia has been trialling digital driving licences via a smart phone application for about 6 months now in a limited area, which is to be extended to the rest of the state shortly.

I'm in two minds about this... while the thought of a carrying around a plastic card in your wallet seems to be a little archaic, it's simple, achieves the intended purpose and is difficult to counterfeit. How long before some 16 year old develops an application which looks and behaves the same the authentic application on the surface, at least enough to buy a drink in a pub or allow entry to clubs (a fake application won't fly with Police as they verify the details through their own database).

News piece here: http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/mobile-phones/nsw-drivers-will-be-first-in-australia-to-start-using-a-digital-licence/news-story/5c76d21f2dc24bc0c127055e0411f523

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
Re: Digital drivers licences are now a thing in Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 05:10:39 am »
In Victoria, if you stopped your car with the engine running and the cop asked for your license and you touched your mobile phone with your fingers, he could fine you $476 for using a mobile phone whilst "driving". The law will need to change to allow a driver to touch his mobile phone to show the hologram on request, or order the engine to be shut off first (ie: parked). To cops here are extremely strict on drivers using mobile phones whilst driving, but they can get it badly wrong. A friend was fined $476 for using a handheld mic on a 2-way radio (which is legal). The cop thought it was a mobile phone. Two court appearances already, with no cop turning up. Third court appearance this month. My friend will fight on, but he won't any justice out of this - they will make sure he will lose financially even if he wins.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 06:19:04 am »
In Victoria, if you stopped your car with the engine running and the cop asked for your license and you touched your mobile phone with your fingers, he could fine you $476 for using a mobile phone whilst "driving". The law will need to change to allow a driver to touch his mobile phone to show the hologram on request, or order the engine to be shut off first (ie: parked).

The road rules are pretty standard across the country. The definition of "driving" isn't "having the engine running". Driving means "to be in control of [propulsion/steering/braking etc...]". If you're stopped on the side of the road, with the park brake applied and the gear in park/neutral, you aren't "in control of" a vehicle, therefore you are not "driving". There is no requirement under Australian law to turn off the engine to a vehicle before you're not considered to be "driving".

There are also exceptions to Road Rules if you're been given a lawful or reasonable direction by a Police officer, such as Rule 304:

(1) "A person must obey any reasonable direction for the safe and efficient regulation of traffic given to the person by a police officer or authorised person, whether or not the person may contravene another provision of these Rules by obeying the direction." and

(2) "It is a defence to the prosecution of a person for an offence against a provision of these Rules if, at the time of the offence, the person was obeying a direction given to the person under subrule (1)."

Don't believe what you see/read on TV or on internet forums without reading the rules for yourself.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:20:52 am by Halcyon »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 06:27:29 am »
In Victoria, if you stopped your car with the engine running and the cop asked for your license and you touched your mobile phone with your fingers, he could fine you $476 for using a mobile phone whilst "driving". The law will need to change to allow a driver to touch his mobile phone to show the hologram on request, or order the engine to be shut off first (ie: parked). To cops here are extremely strict on drivers using mobile phones whilst driving, but they can get it badly wrong. A friend was fined $476 for using a handheld mic on a 2-way radio (which is legal). The cop thought it was a mobile phone. Two court appearances already, with no cop turning up. Third court appearance this month. My friend will fight on, but he won't any justice out of this - they will make sure he will lose financially even if he wins.
It's fairly unjust that a no show of the police officer doesn't result in an automatic dismissal of the charges.

That being said, we're rapidly making mobile phone a single point of failure and I don't feel that's a very good idea. No matter how secure they claim the application is.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 08:20:28 am »
This is great for driving abroad. </sarcasm>

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 08:34:59 am »
Problems I see with this are:

It means showing your phone to police, which might contain all kinds of personal information.

Phones get hacked.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 09:18:35 am »
it's simple, achieves the intended purpose and is difficult to counterfeit. How long before some 16 year old develops an application which looks and behaves the same the authentic application on the surface, at least enough to buy a drink in a pub or allow entry to clubs (a fake application won't fly with Police as they verify the details through their own database).

When you enter a nightclub after the alloted time (often 10pm) you must show your drivers license. The license number (& your associated birth date) are actually checked by the machine on entry via the registration department's database.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 09:29:29 am »
What could possibly go wrong?

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 09:30:18 am »
The battery in my drivers licence is flat.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 09:41:28 am »
This is something I don't get and don't agree with.

Name one thing that is wrong with a traditional driver's license that a phone could do better?

Operate without power? Be easier to get? Be less likely to be stolen or forgotten? How about operate without a network connection?

I find that the argument, because it's archaic is, no offense, a crock of old shit. As if having a piece of plastic, coated, laminated paper is such an unbearably old idea we need to replace it.

I'd rather just keep my plastic ID on me, it's not running out of juice any time soon.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

The following users thanked this post: amyk, Jacon

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 09:48:51 am »
If your stopped in the good old USA and you reach for your phone the cops shoot you.  Problem solved.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 09:50:36 am »
If your stopped in the good old USA and you reach for your phone the cops shoot you.  Problem solved.

No, that's not true, you're doing it wrong. All you need to do is start being white, and the cops don't care what you do.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 12:32:05 pm »
Problems I see with this are:

It means showing your phone to police, which might contain all kinds of personal information.

Why do you think they're doing it? "We need to see your ID" *unlocks phone* "Thank you very much, we'll just take this for evidence.."

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 01:03:08 pm »

No, that's not true, you're doing it wrong. All you need to do is start being white, and the cops don't care what you do.

Colour of skin is no guarantee. A cop in the Minneapolis police force shot dead a white Australian woman for no reason. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Justine_Damond.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 01:13:39 pm by VK3DRB »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 05:15:34 pm »
At the moment, it's optional to use the phone. You still get a physical card. Of course, if the phone version proves to be cheaper then I can see that changing.

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 08:41:19 pm »
It sounds like typical government logic.  They don’t want people using cell phones in cars so they implement legislation ensuring that every driver in the country has to own a cell phone and carry it in their car at all times when driving. 

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 09:15:58 pm »
Willingly handing your phone to a cop in the USA without her/him signing some sort of agreement
Probably means you just consented to a search of the phone. Ask folks in Michigan who were asked for their phone on a "good will" basis by the Michigan state police. Who had a box the promptly scanned the phone for social connections.

Steve
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 09:40:29 pm »
Willingly handing your phone to a cop in the USA without her/him signing some sort of agreement
Probably means you just consented to a search of the phone. Ask folks in Michigan who were asked for their phone on a "good will" basis by the Michigan state police. Who had a box the promptly scanned the phone for social connections.

Steve

This video comes to mind.

https://youtu.be/d-7o9xYp7eE
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:44:05 pm by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 10:14:29 pm »
This is something I don't get and don't agree with.

Name one thing that is wrong with a traditional driver's license that a phone could do better?

Well, the phone can connect a fundamental identifying piece of information with GPS data and an internet and phone connection....oh wait that's not really good for us.

This app requires the following permissions:
  • Access GPS data
  • Access to SMS messages
  • Access to contacts
  • This app may use data
;D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 01:01:03 am »
Hmmm ... Access to GPS data - in real time.  How to turn your own device into a speed trap, which would have the capability of issuing you with an infringement notice on the spot - without you having to even slow down.

You know ... there is one way to absolutely circumvent any "revenue raising" of this sort and it can get summed up in two words...

... Anybody want to give it a shot?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 01:04:37 am »
Hmmm ... Access to GPS data - in real time.  How to turn your own device into a speed trap, which would have the capability of issuing you with an infringement notice on the spot - without you having to even slow down.

You know ... there is one way to absolutely circumvent any "revenue raising" of this sort and it can get summed up in two words...

... Anybody want to give it a shot?
Get rich.
Shoot yourself.
Stop driving.
Order Uber.
Stay home.
Join force.

Anything to your liking?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 01:15:09 am »
A good effort - but didn't quite hit the target I had in mind.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 01:16:24 am »
Shut up.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 01:18:06 am »
OK, we're getting a little beyond the scope of the original topic. Did some of you leave your foil hats at home or something? Your phones will not be turned into some kind of speed measuring device, just like your GPS cannot be used as a defence for speeding.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 01:22:36 am »
Being suspicious of governments is like being suspicious that your dog will piss on the rug.

It's likely to not happen, but also likely to happen. Governments are clouds of chaos, held together only by that chaos.

Personally, I see absolutely no benefit. There was nothing EVER wrong with plastic licenses, and having to complicate pull overs for all involved I see to be a massive downside. It's going to be complicated, it's going to break, it's going to require additional money to secure it and ensure it can't be abused, and at the end of the day, it doesn't help anybody. This only leaves some of us with suspicion that the government wants to do something here, like they want to do with throwing back doors into things like WhatsApp.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf