Author Topic: direct connect ribbon cable - not for IDC, but where can I get some?  (Read 2804 times)

Offline helgeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I'm stuck with a serious case of Unobtainium here, direct connect 2.0mm / 2.54mm rainbow ribbon cable, not for IDC. I only need 50cm for a repair.

Can anyone help me out with a bit of that stuff or point me in the right direction? Magic search keywords maybe? This stuff has been quite popular in crusty old 80s electronics but I've never seen it in stock anywhere.

A valid alternative might be TE Connectivity FSN-25A-6 http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=4-1773700-3_QRG_FLEXSTRIP_JUMPERS&DocType=DS&DocLang=EN
(127mm 6-wire 2.54mm patch cable) but they are made to order and although Mouser lists them (571-5-6437146-6) I bet the MOQ is > 100 for the other listed article.
http://www.klsele.com/products/Flat-Cables-Cable-Assemblies/Rainbow-Flat-Cables-Series/1464.html is ugly as sin

Samtec also has some related products... https://www.samtec.com/products/hcss#related

And then there is that which you cannot buy from China  |O

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:23:24 pm by helge »

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Re: direct connect ribbon cable - not for IDC, but where can I get some?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:10:10 pm »
Molex makes them: keywords molex topcoat flat cable
Part 82-24-5910 (also from 28-22 awg and 2.50 or 2.54 mm pitch)
Might not be exactly the same (the web holding the wires may not be clear, for instance) but it should work the same.
I think this type of cable is harder to use without IDC because you need thermal strippers; that might explain its declining popularity.

IDC housings for the cable have channels between the boxes, those can be hard to find also. On some electronics of 1980s vintage the cable is directly soldered at one end and has an IDC at the other.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:13:03 pm by helius »

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:28:22 pm »
3M makes a functional equivalent as well: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/22113O/3mtm-round-conductor-flat-cable-100-8125-series-ts0259.pdf
It's only if you insist on rainbow coloring that it gets hard to find.

Or, since it's a one-off fix, you can easily substitute with standard IDC type cable by one of:
a) spreading the conductors at each end
b) using 2x conductors, clipping every other wire at the ends, giving you the right pitch on the remaining ones
c) using 2x conductors, pairing up wires at the ends, giving you the right pitch overall

And any of the above coule be combined with installing connectors on the board and cable, making a future disassembly easy.
Or installing a male connector on the cable and soldering those pins to the board. Neat, but not so removable.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline helgeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 09:56:46 am »
Wow, I think that answers a lot of questions. Unfortunately the molex cable comes in a 200€ reel. I've also given up the "non-IDC" attribute. Since It's a repair of part of the cables it should look the deal if it can. In fact I got contacted by someone who happens to have rainbow ribbon cable with clear web and 2.54mm pitch (but as chance would have it he doesn't know where it was bought - and it might as well be from the 80s :D)
I'll follow up on the thread once it gets here. Thank you for all your suggestions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf