Author Topic: Diyode magazazine, almost a year on.  (Read 1479 times)

Offline hamster_nzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Diyode magazazine, almost a year on.
« on: April 26, 2018, 05:04:31 am »
Although I've tried to 'gel' with Diyode (https://diyodemag.com) magazine (subscribing, reading most articles), it hasn't happened. I've found the  introductory articles lacking in accuracy (e.g. schematics with obvious errors), and project articles are  "here's the aim, here's a parts list with a short descriptions, and now a working project".

I can't see many of the projects being achievable by anybody who doesn't already have the skills to implement the project - see https://diyodemag.com/projects/universal_led_strip_controller if you want an example.

How have others found it?
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Diyode magazazine, almost a year on.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:29:26 pm »
I don't have that mill either!  I would have to send the PCB out for manufacture but if I wanted the controller bad enough, that's what I would do.  That assumes I have the skill to duplicate the design.  I do, some don't.

I always like projects that offered  the PCB or a complete kit of parts for sale.  Then it's just a matter of soldering it up  and doing the code weenie work.  Nuts and Volts projects tend to offer up a kit of parts.  Maybe not all of them, but many.

I'm not sure what the think of the schematic.  It is abundantly clear where there are connections and where there aren't.  I just haven't seen the 'dot' connection style used along with the jumper style.  It's pretty clear how things are connected but I wonder if I would find it distracting after spending time with it.

I suppose there is always a problem targeting a design at a skill level.  Sparkfun tends to provide helpful side information for their projects:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/noisy-cricket-stereo-amplifier---15w-hookup-guide

Like anything else, if a person wants to build the project, they will have to get up to speed.  One way or another, they need to develop the skills.  Building stuff is one way to do it.  Some projects fail, others succeed.  Education has never been free.

I didn't read the article!  I looked at the pictures and figured it was achievable, for me.  If there are errors in the text, I wouldn't have found them.  But it has always been this way.  When I was reading Popular Electronics back in the '50s, my dad would always have me wait until the errors were corrected the following month before getting started on anything.  I think it is still that way!  Wait until the errata is published.  Or be prepared for disappointment.  But we learn from that as well!

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 02:55:23 pm »

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:57:24 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:05:14 pm »
Was that really published in a magazine?
God forbid beginners learn from that style.!
Bad 1970s auto layout schematic capture before the designer reworked it.
Although it actually is easier to read than a Fritzy wiring diagram.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:07:26 pm by SL4P »
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 10:17:07 pm »
That's almost as bad as those useless lazy schematics where they just dump a load of parts down and label the pins
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf