Author Topic: do you work out?  (Read 17562 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: do you work out?
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2018, 03:43:28 pm »
Approx -23kg which got me well into the BMI region which says OK. That took me about 5 years. And I'm still not happy about having to give up Nutella on bread. Every now and then I allow myself one slice for old times' sake. Now the next step is going to keep my weight stable.
Good job!  :-+

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2018, 03:44:06 pm »
These postings make me depressed.
Why?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2018, 07:30:37 pm »
Apparently I have athletes heart where resting bpm can drop to under 40 bpm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_heart_syndrome
I don't train endurance though, 30min for cardio with some intervals is much more enjoyable.

Another point that I just remembered is that cold weather is something else that can help with weight loss. Apparently just 15 minutes of exposure to cold weather (not even that cold at 53F) is as effective as a hour of exercise, although it is important to note that it is not a substitute for diet and exercise - just another tool that can be used for weight loss. That might be one of Allie Moore's secrets to how she stays so skinny - she doesn't mind cold weather very much.
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/02/140211-shivering-cold-exercise-brown-fat-white-fat-irisin-metabolism-weight-loss/

On the contrary, particularly hot weather makes it difficult to get a lot of exercise activities done.

Yes this is a good point, try to adapt yourself to wearing less clothing (jackets, etc.) and sleep with minimal insulation. You will start to develop brown fat which will burn itself off to keep you warm.
Meal frequency and timing (restricting when you eat or reducing number of meals), is another potential tool as well.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2018, 09:11:54 pm »
I'm trying to lose weight the same way now with help of voedingscentrum.nl (Dutch site), which has a food dairy that is easy to keep track of food energy and nutrients. I've also had to give up peanut butter and chocolate on bread, and eat 2 slices of bread less per day (8 to 6). Replaced it with chicken fillet and cheese spread (only 20+ variants) instead. That way I decreased kcal from bread intake by about 400 kcal per day.

I've tried an intake of 1800kcal per day for a few weeks; important is to spread meals (+breakfast), eat food with plenty of fibers, keep hydrated. But realistically, any lower amount is pure torture and IMO will likely fail. Actually, this figure is better than it sounds, as I'm pretty sure my average is somewhere around 2 - 2.1Mcal when you also account for a few beers, cheat meals or crisps that one might have every now and then.

Lost about 5kg in the first 2months, now it's going down slowly at 0.5 - 1kg per month. I think I've been slacking off lately a bit.

Actually these posts make me somewhat sad as well. In the last half year I've been exercising with a physiotherapist to improve stability in my knees, muscle strength in my upper legs, and eventually reduce medial knee pain. I liked the physical exercise, as it is nice to clear you head after a long day or stressful times, but unfortunately physically there were only adverse effects for me. That is not to say it came as a big surprise, given my history with orthopedic surgeons.

Unfortunately it does mean that I'm quite limited in my exercise options. For example, last few months I picked up basic cycling again, and it had a significant negative effect. I'm actually looking for alternative sports/workouts that don't put stress or repetitive movements on the knees. People have been recommending swimming to me, but my physiotherapist has recommended against it due to the instability (AFAIK applies to the breaststroke in particular). But maybe I should try it out if there are no alternatives..

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2018, 09:35:01 pm »
People have been recommending swimming to me, but my physiotherapist has recommended against it due to the instability (AFAIK applies to the breaststroke in particular). But maybe I should try it out if there are no alternatives..
You can try to swim mostly with your arms. You can also keep one leg still and switch between legs to reduce strain on your knees.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: hans

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2018, 09:55:03 pm »
I don't work out.
Changed my habit of eating chocolate mice on bread as breakfast over 20 years ago and switched to uneatable muesli consisting of 50 grams of quinoa, rye and buckwheat with soy milk.
To make it eatable i fill it with fresh season fruit, in the winter that is only apple, pear and grapes, but in the summer strawberries, peach and whatever i can get my hands on.
I discipline myself to eat this so I get at least one healthy meal to the book.

What boggles my mind is that in the weekend if I get out of bed at 10am and eat this breakfast and do my hobbies I only get hungry around 3pm so 5 hours later.
When during weekdays I eat this at 7am go to work I start to crave around 10am so Only three hours later.
This leads me to conclude that ( for me personally) the hunger signals are psychologically influenced by the situation. I do not really really like my job it is not bad but not great so the food will give me comfort. While when I am doing something I really like, the hunger signal is only given when the body starts to get a problem (low bloodsugar).

The other observation I would like to share is that even when I am green on the BMI (24) I am still overweighth since I am very tall but have thin bones. The proper way to determine if you are not overweighth is to take a rope with the length of half your height and fit it around the thickest part of your belly. This should fit, if you run out of rope (a gap) you have too much fat on your belly.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2018, 10:25:46 pm »
The proper way to determine if you are not overweighth is to take a rope with the length of half your height and fit it around the thickest part of your belly. This should fit, if you run out of rope (a gap) you have too much fat on your belly.
Doesn't this depend on age? I hope so  >:(  :scared:
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2018, 11:38:39 pm »
I'm actually advocating losing weight slowly. That's why I'm talking about a small deficit. 500 Kcal a day is already a lot in my book. That's a reduction of close to 25%! A small deficit seems key to avoid overshoot and other unwanted side effects. Meta research indicates that reducing calorie intake actually reduces cravings. I've posted a link below.
I agree, reducing calorie intake can also result in a reduction in cravings. This is especially true if carbohydrate intake is cut, hence why low carb diets have been quite popular. This can also be a bad, as well as a good thing. It can make it easier to lose too much weight, too quickly. By the time cravings do start to emerge, it's too late, the damage is done! I've also experienced this too.

Consistency is the key. I've talked about changing habits before and this is part of that.
And what do you consider to be good habits? In my opinion bad ones include: calorie counting, restricting, as well as just picking up the nearest high energy snack, such as a chocolate bar, are equally bad. In the past, they've made me fatter, rather than leaner.

Without a deficit losing weight isn't possible. Whether that deficit is caused by reducing intake or increasing energy burn isn't entirely relevant, although I've explained in some detail why reducing intake is much more effecitive and likely to succeed. In both cases the improvement is the result of the deficit.
But it's very relevant. Increasing activity levels is vital for long term, healthy weight loss. It's the sedentary lifestyle which is the real problem. Focusing on food alone, is not the way to tackle the problem. We need to do both!

I understand you have some personal experiences that lead to you say "it just isn't healthy" to reduce energy intake, but that isn't really in line with what research shows us. Overdoing it or getting completely hung up on calorie counting can be harmful indeed, but it doesn't need explaining that extreme behaviours aren't what you'd want. For the same reason the Minnesota Starvation Experiment doesn't seem entirely relevant to the current discussion. The fact that "starvation" is in the name is proabably a clue that it's not a healthy dietary adjustment.
Technically the calling it the Minisota starvation experiment was incorrect. None of the subjects stopped eating altogether and no one completely starved. It is very relevant to the discussion, because the striking thing about it was the energy deficit was similar to what's often recommended to those who need to lose weight, which is crazy, considering it resulted in rebound weight gain, above the starting weight.

The question is what are healthy behaviours and what aren't? What's taking it to the extreme? It's a slippery slope. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I've also not said that it's unhealthy to reduce energy intake, fullstop, just that restricting fat, calories, carbohydrates is. If someone is eating a too energy dense diet, then reducing the energy density of the food is healthy. What I see is unhealthy is the idea that one should actively seek to deprive themselves of food, especially when they're hungry: it doesn't end well!

I agree it's a good idea to be aware of energy intake, expenditure and the energy density of different foods. This is all good stuff, but eating numbers, rather than food is unhealthy.

I've I'd know all of this when I was younger I would have saved myself a lot of health problems. If I'd known that all I needed to do was get on my bike, I would have done it!

Another thing to note is that just focusing on weight loss alone is silly. If someone is obese so they decide to run 5 miles a day, but hardly lose any weight, after two months, then they haven't failed! They've become more healthy. They would have have achieved fat loss, even if the number on the scale didn't change and it's very important not to overlook this. They should keep it up. Maybe they'll start to lose weight a year later? Perhaps not, but they shouldn't give up!

You say you weren't losing weight when you are eating according to your appetite signal. People's appetites aren't very reliable and can be way off. Regardless, even a perfectly balanced appetite isn't going to lose you weight, as it'll keep you exactly where you are. Calorie counting is an aid to eliminate the least trustworthy factor, the human and his estimates.
The appetite signal has served the human race and other animals very well for millennia, so I'd dispute that. Something else is messing with the appetite signal, which is what needs to be fixed, rather than teaching people to ignore it altogether, which is not healthy, in the long term.

There are other more important questions, which need to be asked, to solve the problem. Calorie counting and restriction have been recommended as treatments for obesity for a long time, yet why have obesity rates since sawed? Why do some people need weight loss surgery? I don't believe in the slogan "If all fails, blame the patient!"

Why do the hunter gathers referenced in the video, you posted earlier, not overeat, like the average American?

Why did the average American not overeat 100 years ago, but they do now?

Why do I no longer overeat, now I'm physically active, yet I did before? And in both cases, I listened to my appetite signal.

Could it be because, over the long term, an active lifestyle and not too much energy dense food, makes overeating less likely?

Both fat and lean people, who aren't on some diet, will be following their appetite signals, yet why are some of them fat and the others lean? Perhaps genetics play a role?

I'm trying to lose weight the same way now with help of voedingscentrum.nl (Dutch site), which has a food dairy that is easy to keep track of food energy and nutrients. I've also had to give up peanut butter and chocolate on bread, and eat 2 slices of bread less per day (8 to 6). Replaced it with chicken fillet and cheese spread (only 20+ variants) instead. That way I decreased kcal from bread intake by about 400 kcal per day.

I've tried an intake of 1800kcal per day for a few weeks; important is to spread meals (+breakfast), eat food with plenty of fibers, keep hydrated. But realistically, any lower amount is pure torture and IMO will likely fail. Actually, this figure is better than it sounds, as I'm pretty sure my average is somewhere around 2 - 2.1Mcal when you also account for a few beers, cheat meals or crisps that one might have every now and then.

Lost about 5kg in the first 2months, now it's going down slowly at 0.5 - 1kg per month. I think I've been slacking off lately a bit.
I've achieved similar figures to that in the past, through restriction alone. The problem is maintaining it. Good luck.

Actually these posts make me somewhat sad as well. In the last half year I've been exercising with a physiotherapist to improve stability in my knees, muscle strength in my upper legs, and eventually reduce medial knee pain. I liked the physical exercise, as it is nice to clear you head after a long day or stressful times, but unfortunately physically there were only adverse effects for me. That is not to say it came as a big surprise, given my history with orthopedic surgeons.

Unfortunately it does mean that I'm quite limited in my exercise options. For example, last few months I picked up basic cycling again, and it had a significant negative effect. I'm actually looking for alternative sports/workouts that don't put stress or repetitive movements on the knees. People have been recommending swimming to me, but my physiotherapist has recommended against it due to the instability (AFAIK applies to the breaststroke in particular). But maybe I should try it out if there are no alternatives..
How about cycling? Or if that's too hard on the knees, then you could try rowing/

Also, talk about about swimming, without using your legs (you can put a float between them to start with, before your arms a strong enough to go alone) with your physiotherapist. 

I don't work out.
Changed my habit of eating chocolate mice on bread as breakfast over 20 years ago and switched to uneatable muesli consisting of 50 grams of quinoa, rye and buckwheat with soy milk.
To make it eatable i fill it with fresh season fruit, in the winter that is only apple, pear and grapes, but in the summer strawberries, peach and whatever i can get my hands on.
I discipline myself to eat this so I get at least one healthy meal to the book.

What boggles my mind is that in the weekend if I get out of bed at 10am and eat this breakfast and do my hobbies I only get hungry around 3pm so 5 hours later.
When during weekdays I eat this at 7am go to work I start to crave around 10am so Only three hours later.
This leads me to conclude that ( for me personally) the hunger signals are psychologically influenced by the situation. I do not really really like my job it is not bad but not great so the food will give me comfort. While when I am doing something I really like, the hunger signal is only given when the body starts to get a problem (low bloodsugar).
Another possibility is you're burning more energy, when you go to work, than when you're at home.

The other observation I would like to share is that even when I am green on the BMI (24) I am still overweighth since I am very tall but have thin bones. The proper way to determine if you are not overweighth is to take a rope with the length of half your height and fit it around the thickest part of your belly. This should fit, if you run out of rope (a gap) you have too much fat on your belly.
Yes, BMI is just a rough indicator. My BMI is just over the 24 mark, but that rope would have 8cm of slack. Actually the ratio between waist and height is also quite rough, better than BMI, but still not perfect. The waist to hip ratio is a better measurement. Mine is a healthy 0.85. I used to be over 1, before I started cycling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist%E2%80%93hip_ratio#Indicator_of_health
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:57:09 pm by Hero999 »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2018, 11:57:34 pm »
Consistency is the key. I've talked about changing habits before and this is part of that.
And what do you consider to be good habits? In my opinion bad ones include: calorie counting, restricting, as well as just picking up the nearest high energy snack, such as a chocolate bar, are equally bad. In the past, they've made me fatter, rather than leaner.
IMHO counting calories is a good thing to do because it makes you aware of what eating habits you need to change. Rushing things and being obsessive about losing weight isn't good and very likely to fail. You have to make long term adjustments to your eating habits even though saying no to pie and ice cream is hard.

Having some physical exercise is good no matter what but if you have a lot of overweight then swimming is probably the best way because this doesn't strain your leg joints that much. Cycling could be a good option as well.

Yes, BMI is just a rough indicator. My BMI is just over the 24 mark, but that rope would have 8cm of slack. Actually the ratio between waist and height is also quite rough, better than BMI, but still not perfect. The waist to hip ratio is a better measurement. Mine is a healthy 0.85. I used to be over 1, before I started cycling.
Well it seems I have more work-out to do.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:11:09 am by nctnico »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2018, 12:15:15 am »
Yes this is a good point, try to adapt yourself to wearing less clothing (jackets, etc.) and sleep with minimal insulation. You will start to develop brown fat which will burn itself off to keep you warm.
Except for Naomi Wu (and how she likes to "show off"), everyone I know who is in the "eat a lot and stay skinny" category dress up no differently than normal people do. (They might wear less when at home, and in fact, that's what Allie Moore, an environmentalist, does during the summer for saving energy.) The idea that wearing less helps with losing weight does agree with what thermodynamics predicts.

An interesting project could be some battery operated fans to blow cool air underneath clothes to increase thermal dissipation without looking too different. In a weight loss context, however, I expect it would be most useful to stay cool while exercising.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2018, 12:46:46 am »
I do swim twice per week, at least 1200m to 1500m in one hour.
I have swimmed last two weeks 2km but it was during 2 hours period. Also i do hinking on parks, across the rivers.
When the pool closes for holiday usually i go to a river that mininal safe to swim without hitting rocks or branches, or run ocassionally.
I do freestyle ( crawl) , backstroke and breastroke, but butterfly only leg training, two pools...

I actually never learned to swim properly, so whist I can "swim" it's (so I'm told) a hilarious display of brute force over technique.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2018, 12:48:48 am »
Except for Naomi Wu (and how she likes to "show off")

You keep bringing up these internet women in almost every post, I suggest you seek professional counselling for this obsession, seriously.

The following users thanked this post: Echo88, BBBbbb, Mr. Scram

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2018, 01:03:24 am »
Recent article (but it's been known a long time) on how exercise improves various cognitive skills as you get older.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/regular-exercise-changes-brain-improve-memory-thinking-skills-201404097110

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2018, 01:08:21 am »
Some interesting commentary on weight loss in this Joe Rogan podcast:

The guy in the podcast Peter Attia seems to be a legit weight loss / longevity specialist.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2018, 01:20:39 am »
Another one, on fasting

The following users thanked this post: hans, thm_w

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2018, 02:26:04 am »
You keep bringing up these internet women in almost every post, I suggest you seek professional counselling for this obsession, seriously.
Perhaps it should be better worded as 'With only one exception, everyone I know who is in the "eat a lot and stay skinny" category dress up no differently than normal people do.'

On the topic of staying cool while doing physically demanding work outdoors, one unsuccessful attempt was by Rinoa Super-Genius who tried to use a Peltier to cool her down. The most obvious flaw is that the Peltier uses a lot of power which does not go well with portable devices, but the problem that made it unusable was that it attempted to pull out the heat over a small area, which is not very effective.

My idea with the fan would use far less power and theoretically can work at least as well as the "low tech" solution that shows off too much in many environments.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2018, 03:19:32 am »

I'm sad to read that. I started training seriously a few years ago, trying to rehabilitate an injured knee. My doctor said it would take eight weeks. It took two years.

For six months I could barely walk. For another three months, I couldn't jog, not even a few metres. For another year or more, my knee would occasionally malfunction while running. The kneecap wouldn't track correctly, and almost jam, but then a few steps later would be fine. This glitch was exasperating, unnerving, and disheartening.

But as luck would have it, even when I couldn't jog, I was problem-free on a stationary bike and an elliptical trainer. So I'd walk to the gym, and use them. I gave up leg strengthening exercises, because they seemed to make my knee worse.

I started to lose confidence in my physiotherapist. Reading the medical literature, I worked out that my recovery was being held back by lingering Arthrogenic Muscle Inhibition (AMI). My physiotherapist seemed clueless about it, gym trainers didn't seem to know about it (not their specialty, so not their fault). My doctor's prognosis was way off (not his specialty, so not his fault)). It dawned on me that, despite well-meaning professionals doing their best, I had to solve this myself. Two years.

And the same with nutrition, and training technique. Because it hit me, hard, that if I don't learn the how, what, and why, I'm at the mercy of well-meaning people who may simply be getting it wrong.

I started off as fat as a department store Santa with arms like sticks, at 93 kg. Not through obvious overeating, just through inactivity and eating a "well-balanced" "conventional" diet recommended by the usual "Intellectuals Yet Idiots" that infest mainstream nutrition.

My weight dropped to 73 kg over two years. Now it's 78 kg, but I'm leaner. I'm stronger now and lifting more weight than ever. The once-injured knee is symptom-free. My aerobic capacity is good but not outstanding. In my competitive cross-country running days, my resting bpm got as low as 39. Now it's 50 bpm, so I'm well short of my genetic potential. There is room for improvement, if I decide to pursue it.

As I phased leg strength training back in, especially single-leg training like King deadlifts, I realized that it helped my running - more power on hills, more comfort when holding a fast pace just below a sprint, better running form when fatigued, so less joint strain. If you are an endurance athlete, I recommend (FWIW) power and strength training. It helps. You are more functional with it, and less prone to injury. The fact that hybrid training (training for strength, plus power, plus endurance) is still a controversy is just astonishing. Facepalm-worthy, really.

To the OP: don't lose hope. Keep searching for something you can do, and enjoy. Maybe it's some form of swimming. Maybe some form of rowing - on machines or on water (I once knew a guy who used to kayak to work). Maybe something unusual you haven't tried. Keep looking.

The following users thanked this post: hans

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2018, 03:42:27 am »
I'm actually looking for alternative sports/workouts that don't put stress or repetitive movements on the knees.
Maybe take a look at isometrics, you load but with little to no movement. Used to do them when stuck in the car between classes.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2018, 06:22:49 am »
Doesn't this depend on age? I hope so  >:(  :scared:
AFAIK it does not.
Ten years ago I swam with a group of older friends, I was in my begin 40 and they were 55-65.
I was always amazed they had this bellies while they were not really eating that much.
Now if I look in the mirror I see the resemblance  :(
Probably, I am not expert, your metabolism slows down with age, so you need less and less calories but your stomach is still the same size, your brains are not reprogrammed over the years and so the older you get the more extra calories you eat although you might eat less than in the past.
Nature is cruel. Although nature would probably argue that the human body design was not made to last more than 30-40 years (average lifespan few thousand years ago) , so you can also look it at the positive side, these are the bonus years  :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:30:56 am by Kjelt »

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2018, 06:24:45 am »
Another possibility is you're burning more energy, when you go to work, than when you're at home.
True, I wonder where and when then, because I am a desk jockey, perhaps the brain consumes more but that does not help me burn fat on my belly.
I do walk to the coffeemachine more often than at home  ;D

Thanks will check it out.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:29:25 am by Kjelt »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2018, 08:16:33 am »
I agree, reducing calorie intake can also result in a reduction in cravings. This is especially true if carbohydrate intake is cut, hence why low carb diets have been quite popular. This can also be a bad, as well as a good thing. It can make it easier to lose too much weight, too quickly. By the time cravings do start to emerge, it's too late, the damage is done! I've also experienced this too.

But it's very relevant. Increasing activity levels is vital for long term, healthy weight loss. It's the sedentary lifestyle which is the real problem. Focusing on food alone, is not the way to tackle the problem. We need to do both!

Technically the calling it the Minisota starvation experiment was incorrect. None of the subjects stopped eating altogether and no one completely starved. It is very relevant to the discussion, because the striking thing about it was the energy deficit was similar to what's often recommended to those who need to lose weight, which is crazy, considering it resulted in rebound weight gain, above the starting weight.

The question is what are healthy behaviours and what aren't? What's taking it to the extreme? It's a slippery slope. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I've also not said that it's unhealthy to reduce energy intake, fullstop, just that restricting fat, calories, carbohydrates is. If someone is eating a too energy dense diet, then reducing the energy density of the food is healthy. What I see is unhealthy is the idea that one should actively seek to deprive themselves of food, especially when they're hungry: it doesn't end well!

I agree it's a good idea to be aware of energy intake, expenditure and the energy density of different foods. This is all good stuff, but eating numbers, rather than food is unhealthy.

I've I'd know all of this when I was younger I would have saved myself a lot of health problems. If I'd known that all I needed to do was get on my bike, I would have done it!

Another thing to note is that just focusing on weight loss alone is silly. If someone is obese so they decide to run 5 miles a day, but hardly lose any weight, after two months, then they haven't failed! They've become more healthy. They would have have achieved fat loss, even if the number on the scale didn't change and it's very important not to overlook this. They should keep it up. Maybe they'll start to lose weight a year later? Perhaps not, but they shouldn't give up!

The appetite signal has served the human race and other animals very well for millennia, so I'd dispute that. Something else is messing with the appetite signal, which is what needs to be fixed, rather than teaching people to ignore it altogether, which is not healthy, in the long term.

There are other more important questions, which need to be asked, to solve the problem. Calorie counting and restriction have been recommended as treatments for obesity for a long time, yet why have obesity rates since sawed? Why do some people need weight loss surgery? I don't believe in the slogan "If all fails, blame the patient!"

Why do the hunter gathers referenced in the video, you posted earlier, not overeat, like the average American?

Why did the average American not overeat 100 years ago, but they do now?

Why do I no longer overeat, now I'm physically active, yet I did before? And in both cases, I listened to my appetite signal.

Could it be because, over the long term, an active lifestyle and not too much energy dense food, makes overeating less likely?

Both fat and lean people, who aren't on some diet, will be following their appetite signals, yet why are some of them fat and the others lean? Perhaps genetics play a role?
I think we're mostly agreeing. You seem very hesitant to monitor calories because you've gotten yourself in trouble with that in the past. It is a valid strategy and what most proper dietitians and doctors use. It works very well for a huge amount of people. There is indeed a risk that people lose themselves or overdo it. Obsessing over calories is obviously not the way to go and depriving yourself to the point that you're compensating with unhealthy foods isn't either. However, awareness of what you eat and what it means for your body is helpful. A lot of people don't have a clue what the stinkers are and that's what calorie counting helps with. Just make sure to treat it like a tool and not like a religion.

Exercise should be part of maintaining a healthy weight, because your body simply functions better when you do. It can also help with the balance of energy, but people should be very aware it's essentially impossible to get to or maintain a healthy weight through exercise alone. The saying that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise is fairly accurate. Exercise does support the moderation of energy intake in an excellent way and is a massive factor in your overall health, so exercise is always recommended.

The appetite signal has served animals and mankind for millennia. The important difference is that during these millennia people and animals have have predominantly lived in food scarce situations. Most animals will keep eating while there's food. Humans have manipulated the world into a situation where food is essentially always available, so our appetite signal needs to adjust. We're more restrained than a lot of animals, but it's obvious we haven't adjusted to the new situation yet. We tend to prefer foods containing things that are quite rare in nature, like fat and sugar. Unfortunately the impulse to eat any of that we can find is hurting us now and refined foods sometimes mean we're attracted to foods that lack everything else that nature tries to get us to eat.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2018, 08:25:37 am »
I'm actually looking for alternative sports/workouts that don't put stress or repetitive movements on the knees.
Maybe take a look at isometrics, you load but with little to no movement. Used to do them when stuck in the car between classes.

Plenty of stuff you can do.
Swimming or water polo.
Rowing
Reformer Pilates
Overhead ladder based stuff at the gym, and almost any gym workout that doesn't involve the knees much. A simple cable machine could workout almost your entire body.

The following users thanked this post: hans, Mr. Scram

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2018, 08:40:27 am »
It is a valid strategy and what most proper dietitians and doctors use.
It is repeatable for many persons that is why it is so popular, but people are not all the same.
For instance I found out for my self by reading a book called the blood type diet that with my bloodtype I should not eat too many grains and esp. no wheat.
Instead I should eat more meat and skip diary products esp. cowmilk.
Now you can discuss this and I am not defending this book but it resulted in me experimenting with this a couple of years back.
By dropping cowmilk intake, my skin on my back that was always pinkish like an allergy completely dissapeared for the first time in my life.
No doctor/specialist ever could help me, it was also not burdening enough, but it lead me to believe that every human is unique and you don't get a manual at birth.
So why treat all humans as being the same? I know for instance that a lot of asian people can not tolerate cow milk at all.

The whole discussion now about cholesterol is also very typical, a wrong statistical experiment in the 70's lead to abandon animal fats.
While the same fats give a fast saturation feeling which makes you stop eating more. In the meantime the foodindustry removed the fats from their
products and replaced them with..... sugar
Now there is sugar in all industrial prepared food, in my crabsalad there is 5% sugar, no recepy of fresh crabsalad mentions any sugar.
I can go on and on but my message is that you should listen to your own body and experiment what works for you, try to eat meals with fresh ingredients and skip the industrial garbage foods,
which I also eat BTW.

The appetite signal has served animals and mankind for millennia.
The important difference is that during these millennia people and animals have have predominantly lived in food scarce situations.
Most animals will keep eating while there's food.
Humans have manipulated the world into a situation where food is essentially always available, so our appetite signal needs to adjust.
We're more restrained than a lot of animals, but it's obvious we haven't adjusted to the new situation yet.
We tend to prefer foods containing things that are quite rare in nature, like fat and sugar.
Unfortunately the impulse to eat any of that we can find is hurting us now and refined foods sometimes mean we're attracted to foods that lack everything else that nature tries to get us to eat.
True, and besides your own discipline the food industry is there also part to blame, putting those "addictive" ingredients in great amounts into their products.
And the portions are also becoming larger. Prices for the worst food are lower than for the fresh good food which also does not help.

Here in Holland we are addicted to fried potatoe chips. When I was 10 the largest family bags were 100 grams and we ate with 4 persons from that.
Now the bags are a ludicrous 225g and if I am not carefull I can eat half of the bag on my own during watching a movie.
The trick is to downsize the industrial sizes, use a small cup and fill that with the chips and store the rest of the bag somewhere far far away :)
Best not to eat it at all indeed, I personally wish it was never invented ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:42:41 am by Kjelt »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2018, 09:36:56 am »
It is repeatable for many persons that is why it is so popular, but people are not all the same.
For instance I found out for my self by reading a book called the blood type diet that with my bloodtype I should not eat too many grains and esp. no wheat.
Instead I should eat more meat and skip diary products esp. cowmilk.
Now you can discuss this and I am not defending this book but it resulted in me experimenting with this a couple of years back.
By dropping cowmilk intake, my skin on my back that was always pinkish like an allergy completely dissapeared for the first time in my life.
No doctor/specialist ever could help me, it was also not burdening enough, but it lead me to believe that every human is unique and you don't get a manual at birth.
So why treat all humans as being the same? I know for instance that a lot of asian people can not tolerate cow milk at all.

The whole discussion now about cholesterol is also very typical, a wrong statistical experiment in the 70's lead to abandon animal fats.
While the same fats give a fast saturation feeling which makes you stop eating more. In the meantime the foodindustry removed the fats from their
products and replaced them with..... sugar
Now there is sugar in all industrial prepared food, in my crabsalad there is 5% sugar, no recepy of fresh crabsalad mentions any sugar.
I can go on and on but my message is that you should listen to your own body and experiment what works for you, try to eat meals with fresh ingredients and skip the industrial garbage foods,
which I also eat BTW.

True, and besides your own discipline the food industry is there also part to blame, putting those "addictive" ingredients in great amounts into their products.
And the portions are also becoming larger. Prices for the worst food are lower than for the fresh good food which also does not help.

Here in Holland we are addicted to fried potatoe chips. When I was 10 the largest family bags were 100 grams and we ate with 4 persons from that.
Now the bags are a ludicrous 225g and if I am not carefull I can eat half of the bag on my own during watching a movie.
The trick is to downsize the industrial sizes, use a small cup and fill that with the chips and store the rest of the bag somewhere far far away :)
Best not to eat it at all indeed, I personally wish it was never invented ;)
I agree that not everyone is the same. At the same time it seems many people have very strange ideas about food and health. People tell themselves they're special and that's why normal advice doesn't apply to them all the time, much like the "golden ear" people in the audiophoolery world. People don't like the simple truth because people don't like changing their habits and try to deny it with all sorts of creative reasoning. Add to that that there's an industry that continuously creates new fads and you get some very strange and very strongly defended opinions that are completely contrary to any sane medical knowledge or decades of experience. It's remarkable to hear doctors talk about the strange ideas their patients come in with and have to fight against.

The blood type diet sounds like one of those invented ideas and a bit of research seems to confirm that. It's created by someone who calls himself a "naturopath", which is alternative medicine or non evidence based medicine. Research done indicates there no benifit to eating certain things when you have a certain blood type. Now, that doesn't mean the diet didn't help you. Not being able to cope with milk very well is quite common and it's very reasonable to think that an adjustment in intake helped you. Cow milk intolerance is hardly unique and actually a very common thing and completely accepted by conventional medicine. Individual humans generally have a unique combination of properties, but most of those properties are well known and described. Experimenting with what suits you is not a bad idea, but it's unlikely your body suddenly works completely different than that of any other or even breaks basic laws of nature.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2018, 10:19:01 am »
I agree that not everyone is the same. At the same time it seems many people have very strange ideas about food and health. People tell themselves they're special and that's why normal advice doesn't apply to them all the time, much like the "golden ear" people in the audiophoolery world.
To a certain extent they are different you also see that some medicines do not work on certain people.
I agree that for most medical treatments you can generalize people and it works, so I would never disagree with a doctor or prescription, but also doctors are humans, most are specialist knowing a lot about a little part of the body. Doctors that know the entire body or how it all works together, can combine symptoms from one part of the body to an illness in another part is rare. That is why in the near future I hope AI will be able to combine and diagnose better than human doctors.

People don't like the simple truth because people don't like changing their habits and try to deny it with all sorts of creative reasoning.
Very true, change is frightening for a lot of people and some habits are hard to change. Related to health it sure is a factor, some habits have a  subconscious psychological background, go find it out ;)

The blood type diet sounds like one of those invented ideas and a bit of research seems to confirm that.
I only brought it up because it lead for me to a new insight, not that I want to defend it or propogate it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf