Author Topic: do you work out?  (Read 17566 times)

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: do you work out?
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2018, 11:33:10 am »
Plenty of stuff you can do.
Swimming or water polo.
Rowing
Reformer Pilates
Overhead ladder based stuff at the gym, and almost any gym workout that doesn't involve the knees much. A simple cable machine could workout almost your entire body.

I recently started using cable machines as a variation. They are a very useful tool for building strength, and also for mobility work (range of motion).

Exercises that use rubber bands can also be useful. On his Athlean-X you tube channel, Jeff Cavaliere recently posted a band exercise for external shoulder rotation:

I've been trying it, and it feels useful. My new physio, an expert on shoulders, agrees it has value. So I've included Jeff's suggestion in a tri-set  for shoulder health maintenance, something I now do near the end of each gym session.

Athlean-X is a good source of info for strength conditioning. Jeff is knowledgeable and seriously strong. (But Dude, your dragon flag technique is a little bit sucky, OK? I know you can do better. C'mon.)

Pilates and rowing seem like good options, depending on how the OP's knees feel under load.

The other suggestion I'd make is yoga. Don't be fooled by the beginner stage. Intermediate-level yoga requires significant strength. At advanced levels, yoga has many elements similar to street-style workouts and gymnastics. I don't do it at the moment because, with my training schedule (all up, about 12 hours per week)  I simply don't have the time, and my training focus is elsewhere.

Beginner-level yoga may help with leg strength, joint stability, and reprogramming of comprised movement patterns. Take it easy. Just do what you can, and let your body adapt.

Turnover rate of skeletal muscle is about 90 days (I've heard). In 90 days, you have replaced, say, your biceps muscle with new tissue. Turnover in connective tissue like joints, tendons, ligaments is about 270 days. It's slower. The blood supply is far less plentiful, there. So it takes longer for connective tissue to adapt to training loads.

The number one rule in all conditioning is don't get injured. Injury sucks big-time. Bail out fast if you feel your instructor doesn't know what he/she is doing. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:57:35 am by thermistor-guy »

The following users thanked this post: hans, Barryg41

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2018, 07:48:36 pm »
I'm actually looking for alternative sports/workouts that don't put stress or repetitive movements on the knees.
Maybe take a look at isometrics, you load but with little to no movement. Used to do them when stuck in the car between classes.

Swimming or water polo.
Rowing
Reformer Pilates
Overhead ladder based stuff at the gym, and almost any gym workout that doesn't involve the knees much. A simple cable machine could workout almost your entire body.

Yes definitely; I just meant for knees

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2018, 08:09:10 pm »
What boggles my mind is that in the weekend if I get out of bed at 10am and eat this breakfast and do my hobbies I only get hungry around 3pm so 5 hours later.
When during weekdays I eat this at 7am go to work I start to crave around 10am so Only three hours later.
This leads me to conclude that ( for me personally) the hunger signals are psychologically influenced by the situation. I do not really really like my job it is not bad but not great so the food will give me comfort. While when I am doing something I really like, the hunger signal is only given when the body starts to get a problem (low bloodsugar).

Stress and lack of sleep will cause overeating and possibly desire for simple carbohydrates. I'm guessing 7am is early for you to wake up.
https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20120314/sleep-less-eat-more#1
https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/prevention-and-screening-articles/sleep-loss-boosts-hunger-and-unhealthy-food-choices

"We found that sleep restriction boosts a signal that may increase the hedonic aspect of food intake, the pleasure and satisfaction gained from eating," said Erin Hanlon, PhD, a research associate in endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism at the University of Chicago. "Sleep restriction seems to augment the endocannabinoid system, the same system targeted by the active ingredient of marijuana, to enhance the desire for food intake."

Low blood sugar is not really a problem unless you are diabetic IMO. I don't eat from 10pm until 1pm or so. You can train yourself to go longer (see video dave linked), but it may take a lot of effort to get used to it.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2018, 09:10:51 pm »
Thanks all for the responses to my open invitation.

Actually these posts make me somewhat sad as well. In the last half year I've been exercising with a physiotherapist to improve stability in my knees, muscle strength in my upper legs, and eventually reduce medial knee pain. I liked the physical exercise, as it is nice to clear you head after a long day or stressful times, but unfortunately physically there were only adverse effects for me. That is not to say it came as a big surprise, given my history with orthopedic surgeons.

Unfortunately it does mean that I'm quite limited in my exercise options. For example, last few months I picked up basic cycling again, and it had a significant negative effect. I'm actually looking for alternative sports/workouts that don't put stress or repetitive movements on the knees. People have been recommending swimming to me, but my physiotherapist has recommended against it due to the instability (AFAIK applies to the breaststroke in particular). But maybe I should try it out if there are no alternatives..

I'm sad to read that. I started training seriously a few years ago, trying to rehabilitate an injured knee. My doctor said it would take eight weeks. It took two years.

For six months I could barely walk. For another three months, I couldn't jog, not even a few metres. For another year or more, my knee would occasionally malfunction while running. The kneecap wouldn't track correctly, and almost jam, but then a few steps later would be fine. This glitch was exasperating, unnerving, and disheartening.

But as luck would have it, even when I couldn't jog, I was problem-free on a stationary bike and an elliptical trainer. So I'd walk to the gym, and use them. I gave up leg strengthening exercises, because they seemed to make my knee worse.

I started to lose confidence in my physiotherapist. Reading the medical literature, I worked out that my recovery was being held back by lingering Arthrogenic Muscle Inhibition (AMI). My physiotherapist seemed clueless about it, gym trainers didn't seem to know about it (not their specialty, so not their fault). My doctor's prognosis was way off (not his specialty, so not his fault)). It dawned on me that, despite well-meaning professionals doing their best, I had to solve this myself. Two years.

And the same with nutrition, and training technique. Because it hit me, hard, that if I don't learn the how, what, and why, I'm at the mercy of well-meaning people who may simply be getting it wrong.

I started off as fat as a department store Santa with arms like sticks, at 93 kg. Not through obvious overeating, just through inactivity and eating a "well-balanced" "conventional" diet recommended by the usual "Intellectuals Yet Idiots" that infest mainstream nutrition.

My weight dropped to 73 kg over two years. Now it's 78 kg, but I'm leaner. I'm stronger now and lifting more weight than ever. The once-injured knee is symptom-free. My aerobic capacity is good but not outstanding. In my competitive cross-country running days, my resting bpm got as low as 39. Now it's 50 bpm, so I'm well short of my genetic potential. There is room for improvement, if I decide to pursue it.

As I phased leg strength training back in, especially single-leg training like King deadlifts, I realized that it helped my running - more power on hills, more comfort when holding a fast pace just below a sprint, better running form when fatigued, so less joint strain. If you are an endurance athlete, I recommend (FWIW) power and strength training. It helps. You are more functional with it, and less prone to injury. The fact that hybrid training (training for strength, plus power, plus endurance) is still a controversy is just astonishing. Facepalm-worthy, really.

To the OP: don't lose hope. Keep searching for something you can do, and enjoy. Maybe it's some form of swimming. Maybe some form of rowing - on machines or on water (I once knew a guy who used to kayak to work). Maybe something unusual you haven't tried. Keep looking.

That's nice to read how you bounced back on own willpower and research.

With the risk of going more OT, but I would like to explain my history with orthopedic surgeons. I've had osteotomy to both upper legs. 20 degrees of malrotation plus some X-leg was corrected. Pre-op I had daily sore knees (to put it lightly) from just a light/regular day routine. That's gone now fortunately for ~3 years.

Unfortunately around the same time, medial knee symptoms started to appear (as well as a light variant of jumper's knee). It started in a period when I was walking quite a lot, probably too much for too long. Ironically it was when I was at a rehabilitation center. However at first they didn't want to recognize this as an issue, and waived it away as just some sore muscles from the increased physical effort. But it stuck along.

This year I went to the 3rd physiotherapist, that suspected I got a large Q angle which is probably a residual given my history. We worked on more strengthening and coordination exercises. Although performing exercises greatly improved, the symptoms only got worse after training (and dissipate with rest).

I'm not getting my hopes up for anything useful short-term when I visit my doctors again later this year. I suspect they either focus on the Q angle (there is some residual in lower leg), or can't find anything at all. Either way, finding a way to get more into shape without a cure worse than the problem is key for me to sustain it. Since I've stopped training, I do recognize that my energy levels has dropped.

I think it's similar to a dieting; you don't want to make the scheme so strict that it feels like a punishment. It must become a new balance in your week schedule at some point.

You can try to swim mostly with your arms. You can also keep one leg still and switch between legs to reduce strain on your knees.
How about cycling? Or if that's too hard on the knees, then you could try rowing/

Also, talk about about swimming, without using your legs (you can put a float between them to start with, before your arms a strong enough to go alone) with your physiotherapist. 
Maybe take a look at isometrics, you load but with little to no movement. Used to do them when stuck in the car between classes.
Swimming or water polo.
Rowing
Reformer Pilates

Out of the choices given, I think I should try swimming first, but should talk with my physiotherapist again if breaststroke is a good idea. I've also read about aquajogging, maybe worth trying out.

I can say that light cycling for a few km is usually fine. Walking 1-2km tops at the moment. I'm not sure if rowing is a good idea, as it's a repetitive bending motion. Maybe worth trying out later on.

I've tried isometric training with at the rehalibitation center and I didn't really see much benefits. But given their ignorance maybe it's worth retrying it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:31:29 pm by hans »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2018, 10:34:37 pm »
Consistency is the key. I've talked about changing habits before and this is part of that.
And what do you consider to be good habits? In my opinion bad ones include: calorie counting, restricting, as well as just picking up the nearest high energy snack, such as a chocolate bar, are equally bad. In the past, they've made me fatter, rather than leaner.
IMHO counting calories is a good thing to do because it makes you aware of what eating habits you need to change. Rushing things and being obsessive about losing weight isn't good and very likely to fail. You have to make long term adjustments to your eating habits even though saying no to pie and ice cream is hard.
I agree about being aware of the energy density of foods and your requirements. The problem with following a restricted calorie diet is, it's very unnatural. Measuring everything and looking at the labels is just a pain. Another issue is people's energy requirements , i.e. their basil metabolic rate, vary dramatically and can't be easily determined by weight and height calculations, so how much one should be eating is difficult to predict. If your BMR is only 100Kcal different from what the calculations predict, then you'll theoretically lose or gain a lot of weight, over the long term, by sticking to that diet, although in reality, your body will adjust somewhat, to prevent it.

Having some physical exercise is good no matter what but if you have a lot of overweight then swimming is probably the best way because this doesn't strain your leg joints that much. Cycling could be a good option as well.
I agree, doing lots of impact work, if you're carring too much weight isn't good. I agree with you about swimming. I suppose I also chose cycling because I've had problems with my knee joints in the past, but in my case, that could have been malnutrition, just as much as jogging.

Yes, BMI is just a rough indicator. My BMI is just over the 24 mark, but that rope would have 8cm of slack. Actually the ratio between waist and height is also quite rough, better than BMI, but still not perfect. The waist to hip ratio is a better measurement. Mine is a healthy 0.85. I used to be over 1, before I started cycling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist%E2%80%93hip_ratio#Indicator_of_health
Well it seems I have more work-out to do.
Sorry if I made you feel bad.

I think we're mostly agreeing. You seem very hesitant to monitor calories because you've gotten yourself in trouble with that in the past. It is a valid strategy and what most proper dietitians and doctors use. It works very well for a huge amount of people. There is indeed a risk that people lose themselves or overdo it. Obsessing over calories is obviously not the way to go and depriving yourself to the point that you're compensating with unhealthy foods isn't either. However, awareness of what you eat and what it means for your body is helpful. A lot of people don't have a clue what the stinkers are and that's what calorie counting helps with. Just make sure to treat it like a tool and not like a religion.
The trouble is it didn't happen all in one go. I've struggled with my weight for a long time. Looking back I had issues with disordered eating, long before it became clinically diagnosable. The striking thing is it wasn't the disordered eating, which was initially responsible for the weight gain, but attempts to lose weight, which resulted in disordered eating. Later more weight gain came, as a result of the eating disorder, but that's a different story.

It I told a doctor, what I was doing to lose weight at the start, they probably would have given me plenty of encouragement, because it's the recommended dietary advice for weight loss. What concerns me is I've met people who are trying to lose weight and many of them seem to be experiencing the symptoms of an eating disorder, just not to the extent where it's clinically diagnosable or having a significant impact on their well-being. I don't want others to make the same mistake as me!

Recovery for me involved seeing a counsellor, dietician, who both advised me to cease any attempts at controlling my weight and relearning to listen to my appetite signal. My weight fluctuated for a bit, before settling at a "too fat" level for a couple of years. This wasn't healthy but it was certainly less unhealthy than having an eating disorder, which had a much higher mortality rate, than just being a bit overweight. Later on I discovered, by accident, that exercise would bring my weight back down to a healthy level. It was not intentional. I originally started pedal cycling to work because it was easier and safer than my motorbike. The weight came off and now I'm very fit and healthy.

Now I'm aware that there's also a link between excessive exercise and disordered eating and it was even a part of my eating disorder: I used to run excessively! I'm monitoring the situation, mindful of the signs of relapse or exercise obsession.

Exercise should be part of maintaining a healthy weight, because your body simply functions better when you do. It can also help with the balance of energy, but people should be very aware it's essentially impossible to get to or maintain a healthy weight through exercise alone. The saying that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise is fairly accurate. Exercise does support the moderation of energy intake in an excellent way and is a massive factor in your overall health, so exercise is always recommended.
Well I'm doing it quite well thank you. I think it's because I'm doing a lot of cardio. It's difficult to estimate the amount I actually burn. If I put the speed, distance and my statistics into one of those online calculators, I get about 600Kcal to 700kCal, but it's likely to be more than that, since it just takes my average speed. It doesn't take into account that I spend some time stopping, decelerating and accelerating, the effects of wind and hills. I'm well aware of the fact that, in theory all I need to do is eat little bit more extra with every meal and I could gain the weight back, but something is preventing that from happening: it's remained stable. I think my increased level of fitness has resulted in my body is managing its energy balance better than before.

The appetite signal has served animals and mankind for millennia. The important difference is that during these millennia people and animals have have predominantly lived in food scarce situations. Most animals will keep eating while there's food. Humans have manipulated the world into a situation where food is essentially always available, so our appetite signal needs to adjust. We're more restrained than a lot of animals, but it's obvious we haven't adjusted to the new situation yet. We tend to prefer foods containing things that are quite rare in nature, like fat and sugar. Unfortunately the impulse to eat any of that we can find is hurting us now and refined foods sometimes mean we're attracted to foods that lack everything else that nature tries to get us to eat.
But the obesity epidemic has happened very recently. It wasn't a problem 100 years ago and there wasn't a widespread famine in most of the US and Europe back then. It also doesn't explain why some people are lean and others fat and self-control doesn't seem to be a significant factor.

Also what happens if we make people eat too much? How fat do they get? Well not that much, check out the opposite of the Minnesota starvation experiment, the The Vermont Prison Overfeeding Study.
http://idealbodyweights.blogspot.com/2009/08/vermont-prison-overfeeding-study.html

Even given a huge caloric surplus, people struggled to gain 20% over their initial starting weight. Clearly something else is going on here.

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2018, 01:12:18 am »
I think it's similar to a dieting; you don't want to make the scheme so strict that it feels like a punishment. It must become a new balance in your week schedule at some point.

Exactly right. The goal is to improve your life, not make it worse.

When I make changes, I make them gradually, usually one at a time, and assess how I am adapting. What complicates it is sometimes you feel a little worse, temporarily, before you feel better. Physiotherapy and yoga can be like that.

Out of the choices given, I think I should try swimming first, but should talk with my physiotherapist again if breaststroke is a good idea. I've also read about aquajogging, maybe worth trying out.

I can say that light cycling for a few km is usually fine. Walking 1-2km tops at the moment. I'm not sure if rowing is a good idea, as it's a repetitive bending motion. Maybe worth trying out later on.

I've tried isometric training with at the rehalibitation center and I didn't really see much benefits. But given their ignorance maybe it's worth retrying it.

Some people enjoy working out in water. In one case that I know, an overweight middle-aged woman was ordered by her surgeon to undergo water-based rehab exercises, otherwise he wouldn't operate on her leg. She came to like the workouts so much, she turned into a fitness enthusiast - a complete turnaround.

Gymnasts do a lot of isometric training, especially near the end ranges of motion (fully flexed, fully extended). It can build serious strength. The risk to connective tissue is high if you are not prepared for it, or if you try to progress too far too soon. That's a problem because connective tissue injuries can take a long time to heal.

I lucked out because I found some activities that I could manage and enjoy. Cycling initially was a little uncomfortable, so I did it once a week only, with moderate intensity, and let my knee adapt. The setup and my position on the bike mattered. With the bike set up one way (seat/ handlebar position and height), my quads seemed to be doing most of the work, and my knee protested more. Set up another way, my glutes took on more of the load (which they should), and I felt more comfortable. Cycling forums go into exhaustive detail about this, in pursuit of maximum power output and efficiency.

Keep searching for what works for you. Good luck.

The following users thanked this post: hans

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2018, 02:31:29 am »
I am almost 73 years old and have never been fat. I was an athlete in my teens then I did not exercise until after a heart attack 9 years ago. I nearly died but the doctor opened two blocked heart arteries. Now I do not drink alcohol or smoke anymore and I eat less cholesterol. Mild medications reduce my blood pressure and cholesterol and thin my blood. I ride a bicycle, run and walk every day. Now I am so healthy I feel like I am in my 30ies.

The following users thanked this post: hans, Barryg41, Johnny10

Offline christopherwatkins

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2020, 07:22:10 pm »
Stress and lack of sleep affect me in a different way, because of this I lose my weight and feel constantly tired. In the comments above, I read that someone is overeating and gaining weight because of this. So I can say that it affects everyone in different ways. As for sports, I can't live without workouts. I go to the gym 3 times a week, sometimes I work out at home. But I'm still not satisfied with the result, so I decided to take a course of steroids to build muscle. After reading this article steroidcycle.org, I stopped being afraid of side effects and will consult with a nutritionist to get a small dose of steroids to avoid health problems.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:06:39 am by christopherwatkins »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2020, 09:54:58 pm »
Stress and lack of sleep affect me in a different way, because of this I lose my weight and feel constantly tired.
Yes stress and lack of sleep can affect people in different ways, weight-wise. Either weight gain or loss is normally considered to be a bad side effect, if it's due to stress.

Try to eat little, high energy dense food and often. Plenty of fruit and vegetables are important, but bear in mind, if you're struggling with weight loss, they can occupy space in your stomach, better taken up by more calorific foods. Banana and avocado are good, high energy density fruits, the latter being more like a vegetable as it's savoury. Nuts and oily fish such as mackerel are healthy, high energy foods. Having an energy dense snack half an hour before bedtime is also a good idea. I'd recommend, a cup of hot chocolate, a couple of biscuits and a banana longs as the chocolate isn't too strong, as it contains caffeine.

Anyway how's everyone doing? For those who had recently embarked on a fitness/weight loss plan, when they originonaly posted, have they managed to stick to it?

I've being cycling a bit less recently, not through lack of motivation, but because it's a risky activity and I don't want to end up in hospital. I still cycle to work, but have stopped going for a ride at lunchtime and take a half hour walk instead. The last time I was weighed was before the lockdown and I'd lost a little bit more weight, since posting in this thread last,: my BMI was down from just over 24, to just under 23. It's possible I've gained a little bit, since I've being cycling less, but it won't be much and I measured my waist last week, which was well within the healthy range.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2020, 11:38:56 pm »
Stress and lack of sleep affect me in a different way, because of this I lose my weight and feel constantly tired.

Make sure you get your proteins,  the body cannot manufacture those and they are critical for well being.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2020, 03:29:08 am »

Good way to reuse old equipment that's way obsolete or not worth fixing, as well as large transformers that have now largely been replaced by switchers.

BTW, I wonder how many could say they own a switching supply heavy enough to get a decent workout with. I certainly do - a Prius inverter that I'm converting into a solar inverter - although it's actually relatively light (~30lbs) for the power level.
Make sure you get your proteins,  the body cannot manufacture those and they are critical for well being.
Tofu is one good source but make sure you get organic and/or Non-GMO - the regular stuff is likely to contain GMOs tainted with harmful pesticides.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2020, 06:27:18 am »
2020 year in review work out log  : hung barbell plates from a crimp to see what happens

now that this thread some how revived and I remembered what gravity is, i expect to walk funny some time next month ( don't really give a shit because of the virus and economy).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 06:31:30 am by coppercone2 »

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2020, 08:45:06 am »
BTW, I wonder how many could say they own a switching supply heavy enough to get a decent workout with.
Linear is the only way to go for sheer mass! This little lot is mine - though I can't say it's ever occurred to me to use them as actual gym equipment...

https://cawteengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/663xB-PSU-stack.jpg

12.7 kg (28lb) each, qty 5, which is almost my own body weight in power supplies.

Before lockdown my regular sport was (is!) archery... great for building up a certain group of back muscles that aren't really used for much else. Our club is back up and running now, but not shooting for a couple of months has taken its toll and I can't draw my bow with any degree of control or technique. After a couple of dozen shots on my first session back I had to stop, and I've switched to limbs with a lighter draw weight to try and build back up again.

The irony is that archery is done in an outdoor field with plenty of space between participants, so shutting it down was much more an unfortunate side-effect of the indiscriminate closure of sports clubs, rather than it being an inherently risky activity that really needed to be put on hold. </rant>

Instead I took advantage of the fantastic weather we've been enjoying, dug out my old MTB and started cycling again. That soon led to 'I really fancy a new bike', and then, 'I want to keep this up when the weather inevitably turns bad'. Somehow I've now ended up with a full Zwift setup and a genuine curiosity as to what my FTP might be. (Apparently it doesn't mean File Transfer Protocol to a cyclist!)

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2020, 03:21:18 pm »
I use my rowing machine for cardio and I do squats, deadlifts, strict press, and bench press/incline bench press. I do some other stuff as well but that's the core stuff. I'm not inhibited by gyms since ive got everything at home which is nice because I can wake up, work out, and start my day.

I'm not sure I'd say a 30lb power supply can give you a good work out since it'll be awkward to manipulate but it can definitely give you some exercise. It could also just give you some real injuries.

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2020, 06:11:53 pm »

Tofu is one good source but make sure you get organic and/or Non-GMO - the regular stuff is likely to contain GMOs tainted with harmful pesticides.

Pesticides are not GMOs.  Further, every agricultural product harvested for consumption is genetically modified either by direct DNA manipulation or selective breading.  GMO is not a chemical, it's a condition.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2020, 06:13:48 pm »
That's very true. Without GMO's many many more people would have starved.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2020, 07:55:49 pm »
Instead I took advantage of the fantastic weather we've been enjoying, dug out my old MTB and started cycling again. That soon led to 'I really fancy a new bike', and then, 'I want to keep this up when the weather inevitably turns bad'. Somehow I've now ended up with a full Zwift setup and a genuine curiosity as to what my FTP might be. (Apparently it doesn't mean File Transfer Protocol to a cyclist!)
I had to lookup Zwift but it is for indoor cycling. My parents made such a setup to cycle indoors with the Covid risk. Indoor cycling seems boring to me so I have invested in extra outfits I can use to cycle outside when it is cold and / or rainy. And I replaced the front roller brake in my bike with a V-brake. Roller brakes are so crap it is criminal to sell bicycles fitted with such bad brakes  :rant:

Fortunately the pools re-opened a couple of weeks ago so swimming round in the pool I go.

Dave's excersizes are no good to me BTW. One bad wrist.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:01:27 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2020, 10:32:44 pm »

Pesticides are not GMOs.  Further, every agricultural product harvested for consumption is genetically modified either by direct DNA manipulation or selective breading.  GMO is not a chemical, it's a condition.
GMO can be goo or bad for pesticides. If a crop is genetically engineered to be resistance to a certain disease or pest, then fewer pesticides are used. On the other hand, if it's generically engineered to be resistant to a weedkiller, such as glyphosate, more pesticides will be used.

In any case, I'm not sold on the idea of non-GMO/organic always being better/more healthy. Levels of potentially dangerous chemicals in food are very tightly regulated and most people will be exposed to some level of pesticide, just by breathing. The only reason is because it's better for the environment, but even that isn't clear cut, if a non-GMO/organic food requires more space, water and has a higher carbon foot print, than a conventional alternative, it's not good. Lots of the organic food market seems to be more about making money, than the environment or health.

If you're really worried about toxins, then campaign for reductions in air pollution. You inhale fare more dangerous shit just by walking down the street, than you consume in food. Oh and don't burn wood, it produces far more nasty carcinogens such as benzene than diesel and yet BBQs also produce lots of carcinogens, so don't have one too often.

Whilst we're on the subject of health and nutrition. Ignore all those dumb videos/articles listing foods not to eat. If you listen to all of them, you'd quickly starve to death. The ketotards say avoid carbs which gets rid of most food, the veganknobs avoid anything which has touched an animal and even green vegetables are unhealthy because they contain small amounts of toxins and anti-nutrients. Then there are the other clueless nutjobs such as those advocating paleo or raw foods, of which neither are practical or that healthy: the actual palaeolithic diet varied depending on the location and season, humans only prospered when we invented agriculture and we evolved to eat cooked food! If I see any such shit in the title of a YouTube video, it gets an automatic dislike from me and I don't bother to watch it. There are no good/bad foods: everything in moderation.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2020, 10:38:19 pm »

GMO can be goo or bad for pesticides. If a crop is genetically engineered to be resistance to a certain disease or pest, then fewer pesticides are used. On the other hand, if it's generically engineered to be resistant to a weedkiller, such as glyphosate, more pesticides will be used.

In any case, I'm not sold on the idea of non-GMO/organic always being better/more healthy. Levels of potentially dangerous chemicals in food are very tightly regulated and most people will be exposed to some level of pesticide, just by breathing. The only reason is because it's better for the environment, but even that isn't clear cut, if a non-GMO/organic food requires more space, water and has a higher carbon foot print, than a conventional alternative, it's not good. Lots of the organic food market seems to be more about making money, than the environment or health.

If you're really worried about toxins, then campaign for reductions in air pollution. You inhale fare more dangerous shit just by walking down the street, than you consume in food. Oh and don't burn wood, it produces far more nasty carcinogens such as benzene than diesel and yet BBQs also produce lots of carcinogens, so don't have one too often.

Whilst we're on the subject of health and nutrition. Ignore all those dumb videos/articles listing foods not to eat. If you listen to all of them, you'd quickly starve to death. The ketotards say avoid carbs which gets rid of most food, the veganknobs avoid anything which has touched an animal and even green vegetables are unhealthy because they contain small amounts of toxins and anti-nutrients. Then there are the other clueless nutjobs such as those advocating paleo or raw foods, of which neither are practical or that healthy: the actual palaeolithic diet varied depending on the location and season, humans only prospered when we invented agriculture and we evolved to eat cooked food! If I see any such shit in the title of a YouTube video, it gets an automatic dislike from me and I don't bother to watch it. There are no good/bad foods: everything in moderation.

It has been an eye opener for me, here in the slower covid-19 times, to start tracking a little more closely the sum total calories distributed over fats vs. carbohydrates vs.  proteins during a day.  I realized I was not really eating in a balanced way at all.   Obviously if you're not looking, it isn't easy to steer...

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2020, 11:02:57 pm »
Also what happens if we make people eat too much? How fat do they get? Well not that much, check out the opposite of the Minnesota starvation experiment, the The Vermont Prison Overfeeding Study.
http://idealbodyweights.blogspot.com/2009/08/vermont-prison-overfeeding-study.html

Even given a huge caloric surplus, people struggled to gain 20% over their initial starting weight. Clearly something else is going on here.
One of my friends, who is very skinny despite eating a lot, seems to be good evidence of that theory. She took a selfie with a thermal camera and she's glowing fairly brightly over a large area, pointing to a high thermal dissipation. Sadly, she did that after COVID-19 started so it would be a while before it would be possible to do a side by side comparison with a more "normal" person.

She also said that her family members were also on the skinny side, supporting the idea that genetics plays a big role. (Not to mention that Asians in general tend to be skinnier.)
The GMOs in question are designed to be more resistant to pesticides, to allow more use. Also, selective breeding is quite distinct from artificially editing the DNA - GMO refers to the latter.

The reason to go Non-GMO might not be so much the GMOs in themselves but rather the pesticides used with them. There's also a lot of ethics issues around GMOs, like suing nearby farms for unauthorized use.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2020, 11:11:49 pm »

It has been an eye opener for me, here in the slower covid-19 times, to start tracking a little more closely the sum total calories distributed over fats vs. carbohydrates vs.  proteins during a day.  I realized I was not really eating in a balanced way at all.   Obviously if you're not looking, it isn't easy to steer...
What is a balanced way?

There are many theories about what a balanced diet is, but it really isn't that critical. Look around the world and through human history and you'll find people who mostly eat sugars in the form of fruits and cane, to those who subsist almost entirely off animal products. People bitch about processed foods, but people have eaten a lot of that too, without any ill-effects. The most important nutrients in your diet are energy (whether it be from mostly fat or carbohydrates doesn't matter) and protein. Micronutrients are important, but you can survive for longer without them, than you can without the macros.

Being aware of what you're eating is a good thing, but there's no point in obsessing about it too much, just eat everything in moderation and do plenty of exercise and make sure you ger your heat rate up: short high intensity, seems to be more beneficial, than doing huge distances, slowly.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2020, 12:04:52 am »

What is a balanced way?

There are many theories about what a balanced diet is, but it really isn't that critical. Look around the world and through human history and you'll find people who mostly eat sugars in the form of fruits and cane, to those who subsist almost entirely off animal products. People bitch about processed foods, but people have eaten a lot of that too, without any ill-effects. The most important nutrients in your diet are energy (whether it be from mostly fat or carbohydrates doesn't matter) and protein. Micronutrients are important, but you can survive for longer without them, than you can without the macros.

Being aware of what you're eating is a good thing, but there's no point in obsessing about it too much, just eat everything in moderation and do plenty of exercise and make sure you ger your heat rate up: short high intensity, seems to be more beneficial, than doing huge distances, slowly.

Apparently, proteins are a "must have" -  the body doesn't produce them, so they are non-negotiable.  I've cut down meat a lot, without appreciating this little fact, LOL!   Once proteins are covered (and they only need to be covered, not over-done), the distribution between fats and carbs is largely cultural and perhaps climate driven. 

From what I've gleaned so far,  "balanced" means approximately 20% of your calories should come from protein, 20% from fat, and the rest carbs.

Offline pardo-bsso

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2020, 01:36:11 am »

Good way to reuse old equipment that's way obsolete or not worth fixing, as well as large transformers that have now largely been replaced by switchers.

BTW, I wonder how many could say they own a switching supply heavy enough to get a decent workout with. I certainly do - a Prius inverter that I'm converting into a solar inverter - although it's actually relatively light (~30lbs) for the power level.

Nice, I'm green of jealousy at all those scopes.
But on the shed I have (somewhere...) an old vacuum tube chart recorder and some nje lab supplies that pack quite a bit of weight.

When I was able to go to the street I mainly did cycling. But last year started also with aerial silks and that's the best sport (?) I ever did in terms of overall exercise. 

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2020, 01:56:45 am »
i would not recommend lifting weird shit unless you figure out what you can normally lift with proper form in a dead lift or squat and reduce the weight heavily because chances are you will use bad form and overload a stabilizer muscle

the last thing you want is long lasting pain that makes you want to do nothing

those exercises are great once you have an idea of your core strength and you use them carefully to work an unusually large muscle group compared to standard lifts, but at reduced strain, and god knows what is a safe limit for a weird object (thankfully the Olympic lifts have been around for a long time and doctors figured out what they do to a safe extent so long its not super heavy (those are still debatable and the debate is fueled by levels of testosterone few people know). I have a feeling mainframe lifters are going likely to end up with convulsions. Not to mention unless you have handles on the thing you are lifting, its likely lifting stupid, making you feel weak, and it is likely not repeatable in terms of position and center of mass.

A barbell actually has lines on it so you know where to put your hands, and clips to secure the weights in the exact position. And the thing has bearing so the weights are free to rotate and do not torque your body. Its kind of exact. You should actually oil them once in a while.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 02:04:00 am by coppercone2 »

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, thm_w

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2020, 07:01:44 am »
Do you work out?

Used to cycle a good amount (5,000+ miles per year) but we moved and we had a kid and now I do weight training with barbells.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf