Author Topic: Does anyone else here find it oddly satisfying to shrink heat shrink tubing?  (Read 6810 times)

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
I suppose it's somewhat satisfying to shrink it.

What's incredibly aggravating, however, is making a multi conductor cable up and crimping the last terminal in place, THEN noticing that lone piece of shrink tubing that you forgot to install on one of them sitting forlornly on the bench staring back up at you.   |O |O |O |O

It is inevitably, of course, juuuuuuust a bit too small to slip over the already installed termination.   ::)   |O

Been there, done that, all too many times.  And if you triple check, somehow a piece will fall off or jump through a wormhole in the short time that passes between you verifying it's there and affixing the terminal.   :-//

-Pat

You can actually stretch unshrunk tubing to make it a bit bigger if you need to slip it over something that's just a tad too big. What I do is slip the tubing over a pair of needle nose pliers (as far as it will go) then pry the pliers open, slip the tubing down further, open them so more, rinse repeat. For the really tiny variety, you can start the stretch with a pair of tweezers, then move on to the needle nose.

Using this method, you can stretch a piece of tubing about 5x it's original size! (Though I normally wouldn't go over 3x.) They then shrink right back down to the correct size once you apply heat.

This method is great for upsizing in a pinch when you're out of the correct size, or when you need to get the tubing over something but don't want to use a larger size.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
Never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
You can actually stretch unshrunk tubing to make it a bit bigger if you need to slip it over something that's just a tad too big. What I do is slip the tubing over a pair of needle nose pliers (as far as it will go) then pry the pliers open, slip the tubing down further, open them so more, rinse repeat. For the really tiny variety, you can start the stretch with a pair of tweezers, then move on to the needle nose.

Using this method, you can stretch a piece of tubing about 5x it's original size! (Though I normally wouldn't go over 3x.) They then shrink right back down to the correct size once you apply heat.

This method is great for upsizing in a pinch when you're out of the correct size, or when you need to get the tubing over something but don't want to use a larger size.

I've done the needle nose stretch thing many times, but have never gone more than perhaps 1/2 to 1 diameter larger before it starts getting buggered up and inclined to tear.  Tim, what brand of tubing are you using that can go that big?  I typically have the 2:1 polyolefin stuff McMaster-Carr sells.  Perhaps I need to get more 'name brand' stuff.  Size is generally 1/4" or smaller.

-Pat

Edit to correct typo
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:56:37 pm by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
I assume no one has been able to invent a heat shrink tube that is split length wise, that could then be placed over connections that are of slightly different sizes. Then either with some super strong adhesive strip, or glue manually applied the tube is one solid piece again, can be shrunk with a heat gun. It's not only the times when you forget to add the tube to the wire before soldering, but when you already have a larger connector on one end you don't want to remove just to get the heat shrink tube on. Or wires and connections that are slightly sized mismatched. It would also be helpful to add this as a last step, since in tight spaces, if the tubing is close to the area you are soldering, since you have to add the tube to the wire beforehand, the heat begins to deform the tube before you get a chance to slide it over the area you wanted it, and you have to start over. I guess if this was possible, it would have been done already. :(

Online radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
I assume no one has been able to invent a heat shrink tube that is split length wise, that could then be placed over connections that are of slightly different sizes. Then either with some super strong adhesive strip, or glue manually applied the tube is one solid piece again, can be shrunk with a heat gun.

https://www.zippertubing.com/Heat-Shrink-Products/Heat-Shrink-Wrap.html

Also, if you guys like shrink tubing, you'll be amazed by the Raychem heat shrink boots for connector assemblies:

http://www.peigenesis.com/en/accessories/shrink-products/angled-degree-boots/te-raychem-angled-degree-boots.html
http://www.peigenesis.com/en/accessories/shrink-products/straight-boots/te-raychem-straight-boots.html

It's magical how they shape themselves when heated.

Edit: added links to the boots
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:10:03 pm by radar_macgyver »

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
I assume no one has been able to invent a heat shrink tube that is split length wise, that could then be placed over connections that are of slightly different sizes. Then either with some super strong adhesive strip, or glue manually applied the tube is one solid piece again, can be shrunk with a heat gun.

https://www.zippertubing.com/Heat-Shrink-Products/Heat-Shrink-Wrap.html

Also, if you guys like shrink tubing, you'll be amazed by the Raychem heat shrink boots for connector assemblies:

http://www.peigenesis.com/en/accessories/shrink-products/angled-degree-boots/te-raychem-angled-degree-boots.html
http://www.peigenesis.com/en/accessories/shrink-products/straight-boots/te-raychem-straight-boots.html

It's magical how they shape themselves when heated.

Edit: added links to the boots

Thanks! Glad I was WRONG, need to buy some of that.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I think you can do that with normal heat shrink tubing too. It is pretty self-adhesive when warm.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Back in the day when heat shrink tubing was a novelty, I absolutely loved it. However, over the years doing many of those with the heat of a soldering iron made me hate it - I even used a cheap heat blower to no avail. When I got my hot air station, everything changed and I am back to the "lovers" team. :D
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
I recall shrinking 'Twisties' packets by the radiator in the classroom heater, that required a lot of skill.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf