Author Topic: does hp still make bad laptops,what offen fail soon?  (Read 1517 times)

Offline aqarwaenTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
does hp still make bad laptops,what offen fail soon?
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:02:05 pm »
i just does hp still have reputation making laptops what offen fail.i heard stories few years what suggest to avoid hp laptops at all cost has hp fixed issues or is it even worse now?

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: does hp still make bad laptops,what offen fail soon?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:28:03 pm »
Pretty much all low to mid tier consumer laptops are made the same. Out of the major brands, I wouldn't really say one is really worse than another (except for Acer, even their business-grade stuff is garbage).

Consumer products aren't (always) deliberately designed to fail, rather they are built down to a price. If you're looking for a product, whether it be a laptop, desktop, networking gear etc... buy the best you can afford, even if it's a low-end enterprise unit.

If reliability and performance is even remotely important to you, avoid the bottom of the barrel stuff from retailers such as Aldi or Kogan.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:28:59 pm »
HP sells some very low end laptops.
HP also sells some very nice, high end laptops.

If you buy a $450 HP laptop, expect that it's not going to be especially high-end nor durable, in which regard HP is no different than any other manufacturer, IMO.
If you buy a $1500 HP Elitebook, they seem to last reasonably well. (Probably not 3x as long as the cheapest ones, but there is a notable difference in the cases.)

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 09:30:23 pm »
I've had an hp 17" omen laptop for almost 2 years now as my main software development pc and haven't had any issues.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 09:44:09 pm »
It is also my experience that the 'for business' computers (laptops or desktops) are the kind you want to buy. Usually their specs are less but they will last much longer and be more stable. IMHO well worth the money.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 10:22:27 pm »
I have a lenovo laptop I bought years ago for about $350 new. I put 16gb memory and replaced the 1366*768 display with a 1920*1080 display. Other than that it's as good as when I bought it. I use it for building/repairing things and all the software for projects for my kids. It all depends on more than just the price.

Offline Jr460

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 10:35:07 pm »
I picked up a business class laptop over 10 years ago.   HP, don't know if they still have it, had a web site with returned and/or refurbished equipment.  You have to check it often, as they might only have one or two of the model with the features you want, but had great deals.  Most stuff was still in factory sealed boxes, never opened.

I just stopped using the laptop, not because for any hardware issues.   It did develop a battery that doesn't like to stay charged for long, but that is to be expected, and didn't hurt what I was using it for.   This machine would come out with me on sound/lighting gigs, getting rough use, and has never failed.  Still running XP on it.

It was not a model with encased with rubber bumpers and stuff like that, but the lid/screen was metal rather than plastic.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 10:47:49 pm »
The recent HPs seem to be pretty solid. But 6 years ago or so, I have seen a lot of enterprise HP laptops break down...

For home users, it's hard to beat lightly used Lenovo for value, reliability, and availability of replacement parts.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 12:22:09 am »
i just does hp still have reputation making laptops what offen fail.i heard stories few years what suggest to avoid hp laptops at all cost has hp fixed issues or is it even worse now?

I just bought the 17" OMEN today so i'll let you know in a few months!  :)
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf