Author Topic: Does strength training impair ability to do precision work?  (Read 12236 times)

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Does strength training impair ability to do precision work?
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 04:48:03 pm »
Bunny suit.  Full cover clean room dress.  Big guys have problems with standard suits.  I'm 2.03 and tend to talk with a high voice after a couple of hours suited up.

I loved the places in China that used plastic booties.  I could stretch those around my feet.  I would typically tear 2-3 paper ones, before I got one to fit around and stay whole. 

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 03:04:42 am »
A bit side-track, I do see more young men that drink having shaky hand and finger, than muscular men having shaky motor control.

... and age ...

Older people have less muscle control.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 07:45:55 am »
All I know is that I can't solder 0201 if I've had more than a pint the night before.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 08:03:29 am »
There may be an age effect also.  I am now in my 60s, and find that after an extra heavy workout I have tremors for hours that would prevent fine work.  A mild or normal workout causes no problems.

Don't agree with the size of the hands thing.  My hands are enormous (palm basketballs easily) and not slender and when not trembling I do fine under the microscope.  The best precision worker I ever knew was 6' 4" and weighed about 450 pounds.  (about 1.95 and 215 kilos for you metric types).  The only problem he ever had with size was getting a bunny suit big enough.

Weight lifting, perhaps not.  But other heavy duty stuff... may be it would impair his work.

I have friends who practice Chinese "Ku Fu".  Particularly the one who's father teaches and runs the ku-fu school.  This friend since his childhood, every day, he fist-punch a phone-book nailed to a wall again and again with full force.  (That hurts!  I've tried)  He jam his hands into hot sand.  For hours every day.

I wonder if he would feel it if I hit his hands with a hammer.

He may have the precision in holding a solder iron - I doubt he can feel a burning voltage regulator.  I am not sure with such lack of fine-touch feeling, if he can work with something as big as a through-hole 1/4 resistor.

Offline TSL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 09:15:35 am »
]

... and age ...

And that can be reversed or slowed by weight training as can many problems associated with old age.
Go here for more info...
http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/growingstronger/
Plenty of other information on the net in such regard.

regards

Tim
VK2XAX :: QF56if :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSATVK

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 10:09:40 pm »
]

... and age ...

And that can be reversed or slowed by weight training as can many problems associated with old age.
Go here for more info...
http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/growingstronger/
Plenty of other information on the net in such regard.

regards

Tim

Given how we have out breaks after out breaks of many previously conquered deceases, CDC today has no credibility in my mind.

Offline TSL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2015, 12:05:05 am »
Well if you dont take CDC's word for it, just google "benefits of weight lifting for seniors", there's plenty of solid work done on the subject.

VK2XAX :: QF56if :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSATVK

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2015, 03:13:30 am »
It is nice to have studies confirm your personal experience.  It is another of those use it or lose it situations.  Clearly working out helps retain muscle tone and control.  The workouts should be a mix of strength and skill training.

The specific age effect I was referring to in an earlier post was recovery from a heavy work out.  As I remember it, when I was twenty I could do a personal best workout and then do fine work an hour or two later.  Now, in my sixties, if I do a personal best workout (its relative - call it the best in the last couple of years) I have tremors for several hours after.  It is entirely possible that it not my recovery which is failing, but my memory.  Maybe it was several hours when I was twenty also.  Or maybe as my tolerance for pain has increased a personal best workout is a higher percentage of my bodies ultimate capability, resulting in a longer recovery. 

In any case you can experiment with your own body by paying attention to what you do and how much tremor you have.  Many have used this technique to prove to themselves the effects of nicotine, alcohol and caffeine on their body.  Most find there is a positive correlation between these three substances and tremor, but there are exceptions, and the curves are not linear for anybody.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 05:24:28 am »
Given how we have out breaks after out breaks of many previously conquered deceases, CDC today has no credibility in my mind.

Are you blaming the CDC for the idiot parents that don't vaccinate their children?

Offline ozwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2015, 11:00:17 am »
This is an interesting discussion.  I was barely able to write after my gym session today.  Recovered within a couple of hours though.  The point of strength training is to "exhaust" your muscles and create minor tearing within the muscles causing the muscles to rebuild and adapt to the higher work load. :box:  I've noticed this before, and just adapt my activities to non-precise work until I've recovered.

Just for reference I'm approaching 60 years if that has any relevance.

Ozwolf
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2015, 05:48:23 pm »

Are you blaming the CDC for the idiot parents that don't vaccinate their children?

Whether parent blindly vaccinate their children (or not) is not the issue.  I am blaming the CDC for the incompetence.  They have a marketing guy as their head since the first case of Ebola in the USA.  Even TB is back.  All these diseases that we have vanquished from our soil for decades are now back in the USA, and just down the road in a neighborhood near you in the USA.  With such track record of success, whatever they say deserves extra scrutiny and doubt.

This is an interesting discussion.  I was barely able to write after my gym session today.  Recovered within a couple of hours though.  The point of strength training is to "exhaust" your muscles and create minor tearing within the muscles causing the muscles to rebuild and adapt to the higher work load...

I have also learned (from a TV documentary) that the bone is built up by small damages and the bodies' reaction.  The repair and calcium build up is what make the bone stronger.  Not being a biologist myself, I cannot attest to how true that is.

The friend I was talking about in the last reply - hitting phone books and hot sand all day.  Him being my buddy and his father running a "kung fu" school, I was trying to learn some "kung fu" stuff from him for free.  So, I was "taught": the purpose of such hitting is to desensitize yourself to the pain as well as building up strength; harden your skin, dampens your nerve, so forth. All in the expectation that "the pain is all on the opponent's end" when it counts.

I am sure hitting the phone book causes some damage - otherwise it wont hurt so much when I tried.

So, for these kind of heavy-duty stuff (not just weight lifting), my logic is, it follows that if your skin and out layer of flesh is harden to the point where pain is hardly felt, it could hardly be helpful with dexterity.

Side note:  I found it funny when watching "kung fu" movies with girls having beautiful hands -- The "kung fu" people I've met, the calluses on their hands are so thick it almost looks like quarter-inch pads around the knunkles.  I won't hold that pair of hands (however beautiful her face) except if I am wearing leather work gloves.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2015, 06:15:00 pm »

Whether parent blindly vaccinate their children (or not) is not the issue.
Actually that is the issue.

I am blaming the CDC for the incompetence. 
The CDC is not perfect and of course not totally immune to the pressure from politicians. BUT it is  considered the foremost expert institution on infectious disease - and for good reason.  It has a proven 70 year history as the center of research and expertise on the etiology, treatment and response to infectious disease.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:26:37 pm by mtdoc »

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2015, 06:19:28 pm »

It is when not vaccinating their children gives the results predicted by organisations like the CDC and goes against their advice.

I am blaming the CDC for the incompetence.  They have a marketing guy as their head since the first case of Ebola in the USA.  Even TB is back.  All these diseases that we have vanquished from our soil for decades are now back in the USA, and just down the road in a neighborhood near you in the USA.  With such track record of success, whatever they say deserves extra scrutiny and doubt.

TB is back here too, not because of the actions of organisations like the CDC but due to politicians refusal to listen to the experts they hire for the advice. You won't vaccinate to save money or because you believe YouTube nutjobs against the CDC et al's advice and you get the results they predicted that isn't their incompetence but yours.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2015, 06:50:06 pm »

It is when not vaccinating their children gives the results predicted by organisations like the CDC and goes against their advice.

I am blaming the CDC for the incompetence.  They have a marketing guy as their head since the first case of Ebola in the USA.  Even TB is back.  All these diseases that we have vanquished from our soil for decades are now back in the USA, and just down the road in a neighborhood near you in the USA.  With such track record of success, whatever they say deserves extra scrutiny and doubt.

TB is back here too, not because of the actions of organisations like the CDC but due to politicians refusal to listen to the experts they hire for the advice. You won't vaccinate to save money or because you believe YouTube nutjobs against the CDC et al's advice and you get the results they predicted that isn't their incompetence but yours.

I don't want to turn this into a political discussion.  Let us just agree to disagree about the competency and honesty of the current regime.

Let's just get back to padded knunkles on how it affects precision work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf