Author Topic: Need advice about function generator  (Read 4160 times)

Offline kgavionicsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Need advice about function generator
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:55:04 pm »
Hi guys
I'm student in avionics and i need to buy a function generator.I have a budget of 100$ and i need a cheap but a pretty  good F generator for my laboratory at home.
i searched on ebay and i found to kind of generators:
-the regular function generator like we found in  laboratories like the victor vc2002
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTOR-VC2002-Function-Signal-Generator-5-Digits-0-2-Hz-2-MHz-7-Frequency-/280913562578?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4167c0cbd2#ht_3806wt_1396

-A different kind of DDS function generators, they are small but with higher frequency outpout up to 50 MHZ like
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AD9851-DDS-Function-Signal-Generator-0-50MHz-DDS-signal-source-DDS-Module-/180866072675?pt=BI_Signal_Sources&hash=item2a1c754063

its a dilemma and i'm really lost which kind of generator i will buy.
can someone help me and give me  his opinion which function generator will suite my use for general electronics engineering

thank you in advance

alm

Re: Need advice about function generator
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:59:11 pm »
In my opinion the VC2002 is the more functional of the two, although I have no experience with this specific model or brand. This an old analog function generator with low stability and moderate distortion, but it has a full complement of functions and full output amplitude control from 20 mV to 20 V.

The AD9851 board uses the much more modern DDS method and should deliver much better frequency stability and frequency range, but I wouldn't call it a function generator. Output amplitude is fixed to a not that useful 1 V. This won't be enough to drive a CMOS logic input, for example. No DC offset control either.

Popular choices on this forum appear to be the GW-Instek SFG-1003/1013, which is has similar features to the VC2002, but uses the superior DDS method to generate functions, and the Hantek DDS-3x25. The latter is somewhat between the stand-alone function gens and the AD9851. Its amplitude is a fixed 3.5 Vp-p, but can be reduced (at the cost of spectral purity and output resolution) in software. Advantages are bandwidth and arbitrary waveforms, disadvantages are lack of front panel, limited amplitude control, no DC offset and requirement for PC control (throw it away when Hantek stops updating the drivers for the next Windows version). Both will probably exceed the $100 budget.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:35:52 pm »
thank you alm for reply
i've found the  Hantek DDS-3x25 on ebay with a price 150$ and if you recommend me this one i can buy it.
Is it the good choice?

thank you

Offline LEECH666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:38:10 am »
People here say the Hantek DDS 3x25 is pretty good value for the money. So I'd say it's a recommended buy.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-chat/review-hantek-dds-3x25-anyone-own-one/

Cheers,
Florian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:10:37 pm »
thank you guys
after a couple of hours searching on the net, my choice went to GW-Instek SFG-1003.The hantek USB function generator is good, but i look for something like a laboratory FG.
i just buy it on ebay for 150$ and in few days i will let you know my opinion about this function generator.

have a good day guys

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf