Author Topic: EEVBlog an oasis  (Read 5828 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
EEVBlog an oasis
« on: March 23, 2018, 04:03:07 am »
I mean it. This place in oasis in a steaming pile of crap that is the Internet. I have tried to participate in some other forums and it has ended in me either getting banned or me giving up after a few posts and asking for my account to be deleted.

I have complained about the behavior of some here but I am rethinking those complaints. The vast majority of you here are 100s of times above the level of the internet and I am happy to be with you here even if I don't agree with you.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:31:05 pm by Lightages »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, SeanB, rsjsouza, gnif, brabus, xrunner, Gertjan, Ampera, Vtile, fourtytwo42, Technobabble_

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Re: EEVBlog an oasis
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 11:55:40 am »
Well no one else commented for a while, so it's up to me.

YES, WE ARE ALL FABULOUS!
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, TimNJ, Mr. Scram, Inverted18650

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 07:01:21 pm »
I mean it. This place in oasis in a steaming pile of crap that is the Internet.
I have complained about the behavior of some here but I am rethinking those complaints. The vast majority of you here are 100s of times above the level of the internet and I am happy to be with you here even if I don't agree with you.

Well put Lightages, absolutely in agreement!  This forum is way above the cut.

The wealth of knowledge here is positively awesome!  The attitude is strong and by-and-large from AOK to great.  While I have not met a single one of you fellow members, I think I would like almost all of you if we do met.  Not every single one for sure, but darn near...

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 07:22:23 pm »
There's always one (meahh) hahha no seriously your right comparitevly speaking certainly, I am not sure what filtering mechinism is in action here but mutual respect seems to be high, long may it continue :)

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 07:38:34 pm »
Probably only half of EEVBlog forum members are engineers by trade, but I think just about everyone on here thinks like one. Highly objective input which really helps people. Contrarily, there are a lots of different opinions, but they are backed up with good  evidence. If you've ever seen a discussion about audio grade capacitors on an audio forum, you'll see the difference between EEVBlog and others.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 07:46:22 pm »
I'm not sure under what seedy underbelly these other forums you visit reside, but I've generally had pretty good luck.  I guess maybe the topic domain of the forum has something to do with it?  Plus, it's probably hard to get too confrontational about circuit design or test equipment (unless you're a voltnutter maybe).

Regardless, I do agree that there are many knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly chaps here on this forum!

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 08:35:32 pm »
From what I experienced so far, specialized forums are mostly civilized, be it woodworking or astronomy. The broader the audience or the topic, the less civilized it tends to get.

If you can call a comment section under online news articles forums, or youtube or facebook, well:
Quote from: Obi-Wan Kenobi
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 09:43:59 pm »
OP, you're up against the fundamental nature of forums on the Internet.
They are a big melting pot- academics, engineers, students, techs, noobs, trolls, jerks, idiots etc.  Anyone can post.
Unfortunately it's easy for a troll to derail a thread. Crowdsourcing a design is pretty much impossible, to my lament.

To keep quality up, social media have tried adding upvotes and karma. But then people collect karma and upvotes, as some form of currency.
Or we'd have to prove our credentials and be ranked somehow, as members. I haven't seen the best fix.

Until then, the signal to noise ratio can move around...

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 09:58:03 pm »
To keep quality up, social media have tried adding upvotes and karma. But then people collect karma and upvotes, as some form of currency.
Or we'd have to prove our credentials and be ranked somehow, as members. I haven't seen the best fix.

Well, this forum has the "thank you" mechanism. I like the way it is handled, namely that the number  or percentage of thanked posts is not prominently displayed like a badge with each post. Sometimes, e.g. when I get annoyed with a particular poster, I do look at their profile, and also glance at the "thanked post" percentage -- and typically think "that figures..." 

That's enough in terms of "credentials" or "currency", in my view: Not too prominent, so it does not get an aim in its own to maximize your count; but available as an indication what others think about a user.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Elasia

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 10:09:07 pm »

Well, this forum has the "thank you" mechanism. I like the way it is handled, namely that the number  or percentage of thanked posts is not prominently displayed like a badge with each post. Sometimes, e.g. when I get annoyed with a particular poster, I do look at their profile, and also glance at the "thanked post" percentage -- and typically think "that figures..." 

That's enough in terms of "credentials" or "currency", in my view: Not too prominent, so it does not get an aim in its own to maximize your count; but available as an indication what others think about a user.

I like it just for that same reason.. dont recall seeing it in other forum software either

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 10:43:48 pm »
I guess karma adds its own set of problems. From https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=525843.0

"karma... promotes cliques on the forum where members who like each other just award karma points based on personality, not on the content of the post, and award negative marks to those who they don't like, or whose arguments they disagree with, even though the counter arguments could be perfectly valid.

The other problem with karma is that the recipient doesn't know why they received positive or negative karma.  This was something which really irritated me on a forum which used to use the system.  A number of members joined me in asking the administrator of the forum which had the system to get rid of it on these grounds.

Also, just having a button to click can discourage members from posting, and that's another reason why I dislike this feature."
"We really disliked Karma because it was anonymous. Kinda brought out the worst in users both for positive and negative karma.  At first, I modded our forum to log karma so it was public who had done what and that seemed to fix behaviour somewhat. Still, we found the drama over the negative votes not worth keeping it as a feature and hence the poll solution happened.
So I agree... Karma is usually a source of social issues..."

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 01:01:25 am »
When I reflect on the problems I have had on other forums they all have been things that appeal ore to emotion rather than logic. Things like knives and cars. The public on these forums prefer woowoo, feelings, and fashion rather than hard facts. More like religions in fact. I have no tolerance for that kind of behavior.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 01:05:59 am »

It's an interesting metric and worth spending a few minutes with my trusty calculator.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 01:21:24 am »
I can misbehave pretty badly if I so choose, but now that I have over 3000 posts I don't want to lose it all.  :P
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 01:27:23 am »

Offline sibeen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 01:31:00 am »
YES, WE ARE ALL FABULOUS!

I'm not.

...and then there is the Python fans. Drowning would be to good for them :)

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 01:54:30 am »
One particular thing that I really love here, "the mob" hostility toward audiophools, its always entertaining and enlightening.  >:D

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 03:25:13 am »
One particular thing that I really love here, "the mob" hostility toward audiophools, its always entertaining and enlightening.  >:D

audiophools.. lol never heard that till now... its a speaker.. it makes noises.. some high some low and some in between

If half those people had a basic understanding of wave propagation they could have a lot better setups just from better speaker placement.  Take like subs... people stick it right by the tv because the pretty picture said so.

And yes i am another anonymous coward and mob hater... good money just thrown out the door when you could be getting better tv quality or adding speakers etc that can actually add value to your visual and sound fields.  Going from 2 speakers to 3 to 3.1 to 5/5.1 to 7/7.1 has a much more substantial impact.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 03:57:56 am »
I regularly (daily) participate in around 6-8 other forums and they are all at least as civilized as this one.
I guess it depends on what neighborhoods you hang around in.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 05:25:39 pm »
When I reflect on the problems I have had on other forums they all have been things that appeal ore to emotion rather than logic. Things like knives and cars. The public on these forums prefer woowoo, feelings, and fashion rather than hard facts. More like religions in fact. I have no tolerance for that kind of behavior.
Your post reminded me of a shirt sold by someone I follow on the Internet.
https://teecamel.com/why-be-informed-shirt?rt=storefront&rp=philip-defranco&rn=DeFranco%20Store&s=hanes-5250&c=Black&p=FRONT
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 05:34:27 pm »
To me, the only thing that matters with music is if you have fun and derive enjoyment out of it. For some people that means spending half your paycheck (or sometimes all of it) to buy a cylinder phonograph to play your obscure bluegrass music on, and for (reasonable) other people, it's a matter of, does it sound alright? Is it a genre I like? Is there anything majorly wrong? Yes, yes, and no? Good, then it's something I can enjoy.

I've gotta love this forum though. Even the asses are nice people.

Anyways, I hear what you all are saying, I'll leave, I understand how much of a pain I've been to the forum.  :-DD

I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 07:58:19 pm »
I think what makes this forum so great is that there are no artificial, controversial rules about what is allowed to be discussed, how it should be discussed, how the messages should be formatted and how thoughts should be expressed. And the rules that are there are things that almost everybody here would agree are sensible (like no personal attacks, no religious/political BS).

I know many other forums where there are rules like these:

- Rules on the format of post. Like, you must combine your entire post into the same message, can't split the post into multiple messages for readability. Or you can't change font, color, and similar formatting of text. You can't use all uppercase.
- Rules that require that the post is grammatically correct.
- Rules that state that you can't post links to other similar forums, because they consider the other competition and don't want to "lose" members to them.
- Rules that state that you can't post links to company websites, because they don't want to provide free advertising for that company.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:00:22 pm by taydin »
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 10:31:25 pm »

We decided against that here for similar reasons.
Although we added a Says Thanks system that seems to have worked well. It just posters know that their post was valuable and appreciated.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 10:33:34 pm »
I'm not.

Sometimes hyperbole works as a joke.
Also, would the thread have got going without an awkward silence breaker?
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 10:40:39 pm »
Although we added a Says Thanks system that seems to have worked well. It just posters know that their post was valuable and appreciated.

I kinda see the thanks as more of a "me too" or "+1" without cluttering things with another post.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf