Author Topic: EEVblog member needs your help  (Read 6795 times)

Online ShockTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog member needs your help
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 11:28:40 am »
Oh now I see how they were getting so many votes he is telling people how they can cheat. Buddy or someone please take additional screenshots of this.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:34:45 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 11:53:43 am »
Yep, saw that, but they say it is completely legit.  As some mobile devices can change from tower to tower in bigger cities.  Not for us here in NC.

Yes, I watched his video, and watched it again.   :palm: 
It only shows that who that has the most followers and constantly pound on them are the ones that will win.
In my follow up video I told folks to vote on the best video. There are a lot of folks out there that hold more knowledge than I.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 12:12:36 pm »
Yep, saw that, but they say it is completely legit.  As some mobile devices can change from tower to tower in bigger cities.  Not for us here in NC.

Yes, I watched his video, and watched it again.   :palm: 
It only shows that who that has the most followers and constantly pound on them are the ones that will win.
In my follow up video I told folks to vote on the best video. There are a lot of folks out there that hold more knowledge than I.

Yeah I know it's not your style Buddy.

Competing with someone who is telling everyone that they can potentially vote multiple times a day, who doesn't even make a demonstration video to begin with, who flies past you and makes it impossible to catch up, just sucks. For all we know he is just voting for himself dozens of times.

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 12:45:33 pm »
Thanks. And doing the numbers shows there is no way I can catch up and beat this guy.

But I will say this.
I posted my video in the other blog forum here on August 24th. And I know that forum only gets a small amount of views here. Yes I could have posted it in the General chat forum but chose not to. My thread there gained 2 replies and 630 views. I know I gained a few votes from it.

You posted this thread 2 days ago and has 868 views and 26 replies. Big difference. I noticed yesterday I gained a lot more votes than what I was normally getting.
I did not know about this thread until today.  Thanks for your contribution.

With that being said if I was to win this contest I will know why.  Yes I know I have a few followers here. But will mainly be because of this thread.

So if I win I will be because of the folks here.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:09:42 pm by Radio Tech »

The following users thanked this post: Shock, radzeck

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 02:42:50 pm »

We've seen this happen several times before.

Cheating? Or spam? Just curious as this is the first contest I have ever entered.
As far as the latter is why I do not post that many of my videos here. no need in wasting bandwidth with stuff folks will not watch.  Plus every time I do I feel like I am only "self promoting" my channel.

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 02:50:51 pm »
I remember when Carlos (rx8pilot) was in the running for a high end Keysight oscilloscope and there were concerns raised in relation to the other competitors numbers, so much so that Keysight ended up giving a scope to each of the finalists including Carlos, the forum members here all got behind him as well which helped immensely.

Similarly, as these two entrants are so far ahead of their nearest rivals and questions have now been raised in relation to possible vote fixing perhaps Caig/Deoxit should consider a similar option, that is if the final outcome is questionable then they should award a grand each or split the prize otherwise they might be scorned for a poorly managed competition.

I think the biggest issue with the contest is that they allow folks to vote every 24 hours. As far as the other contestants below us they are simply not promoting their videos. Take Alan w2aew for instant. if he would have done a follow up video showing that he was entered in the contest, I am pretty sure with 90k subs he would be leading the pack. His video is very good in demonstrating the use of the product.

Caig knows if you are cheating. As two contestants were disqualified earlier in the contest.

The following users thanked this post: jancumps

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 03:08:00 pm »
Ok well here are the other interesting things I noticed.

I first wrote down his youtube views at 260 a few days back and then posted this thread.
His views have since grown to 371. I doubt if anyone is actually even watching his videos but us.

I discovered yesterday reading the faq it states:
"Upload your demonstration video using DeoxIT® on YouTube."
"Can I use any music in my video?" "No. You must have obtained and be able to prove that you have all the necessary rights to the music in your film. Creative commons licenses will not be accepted and do not prove that you have the rights to the music on your film."

Not only does his video not give any actual demonstration.
There is a mere 8 seconds of actual video in it, and it repeats twice.
There is also 23 seconds of music at end.

It would be interesting some internet sleuths could find out if the whole video was made up from others photos and video.
We established the other guy isn't cheating, after having suggested he is likely doing so without any solid proof. The latter isn't very sound form where I come from. I think Radio Tech did it the right way by informing the organisation rather than by casting doubt on a forum somewhere.

Now you're suggesting to take down the other contestant on technicalities. This would be another matter to leave to the organisation, as they undoubtedly know the rules themselves. At this point it all starts smelling like someone who can't accept the possible defeat of his champion. It's cool to win, but not at any cost. It may be time to let go.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 04:35:09 pm »
We established the other guy isn't cheating, after having suggested he is likely doing so without any solid proof. The latter isn't very sound form where I come from. I think Radio Tech did it the right way by informing the organization rather than by casting doubt on a forum somewhere.

You can never know, I've already said that. The fact he told some guy on youtube how to potentially bypass the one vote per 24hrs doesn't look good and may explain why he was getting such big numbers.

As Buddy mentioned, he has found two cheaters already so it wasn't exactly unwarranted to raise suspicions. Again I attempted to contact Caig (twice actually) and tell them about the voting inconsistencies before starting this thread.

Until I read the faq I didn't even know it was intended to be a demonstration video. If it's a demonstration that other guys video shows me nothing. But Scram you can argue all day with me if you like, it's only my opinion and I'm sure plenty of other people if there were looking at the numbers would think it looked suspicious for the reasons I have already given.

I'm surprised Caig even accepted the other guys submission and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets disqualified.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 04:37:25 pm by Shock »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2018, 04:43:03 pm »
You can never know, I've already said that. The fact he told some guy on youtube how to potentially bypass the one vote per 24hrs doesn't look good and may explain why he was getting such big numbers.

As Buddy mentioned, he has found two cheaters already so it wasn't exactly unwarranted to raise suspicions. Again I attempted to contact Caig (twice actually) and tell them about the voting inconsistencies before starting this thread.

Until I read the faq I didn't even know it was intended to be a demonstration video. If it's a demonstration that other guys video shows me nothing. But Scram you can argue all day with me if you like, it's only my opinion and I'm sure plenty of other people if there were looking at the numbers would think it looked suspicious for the reasons I have already given.

It wouldn't surprise me if the other guy gets disqualified and I'm surprised Caig even accepted his submission.
I have no interest in arguing with you. I'm just saying this whole thread smells of bad form and conduct that wouldn't fly where I come from. A fairly feeble disclaimer doesn't really make it better and probably makes it worse.

I'd like to add that's no fault of Radio Tech, before anyone takes it as an accusation.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 04:46:01 pm by Mr. Scram »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2018, 06:55:18 pm »
I don't think mobilizing the community is the way to go. Report the issue to the organising party. Asking a bunch of people to vote because it's someone they know feels a bit cheaty too, even if it's not strictly cheating. This is why I don't like these popularity contests. They're rarely about the content.

That means the other guy may not be cheating. Mobilising people without them seeing the video is fair game. We don't know how large his network is.

I'm just saying this whole thread smells of bad form and conduct that wouldn't fly where I come from. A fairly feeble disclaimer doesn't really make it better and probably makes it worse. I'd like to add that's no fault of Radio Tech, before anyone takes it as an accusation.

I seriously think you're just making this about me now. Personally, I'll happily report something when I find it suspicious. Unbeknown to me people actually had been caught cheating and lets not forget Buddy thought the same guy was cheating as well.

I'll also support Dave and other EEVblog content creators and vote and tell others when I think they are deserving (over an amateurish 8 seconds of video any day). If you don't want to vote or help that is fine, others may want to.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2018, 08:21:56 pm »
I seriously think you're just making this about me now. Personally, I'll happily report something when I find it suspicious. Unbeknown to me people actually had been caught cheating and lets not forget Buddy thought the same guy was cheating as well.

I'll also support Dave and other EEVblog content creators and vote and tell others when I think they are deserving (over an amateurish 8 seconds of video any day). If you don't want to vote or help that is fine, others may want to.
This isn't about you, it's about the displayed behaviour.

*Accusing someone of foul play without evidence or knowing the applicable rules. Note that foul play isn't a trivial accusation and should be levelled with quite a bit of restraint
*There's a rather feeble disclaimer to wave away responsibility for this. There's only so many times you can hint at something without it being obvious what you're getting at. A disclaimer doesn't change that and seems what Wikipedia calls "weasling"
*When the suspicion of cheating that's hinted at repeatedly is blown clean out of the water and the participation of the other guy turns out to be legitimate, there's a seamless transition to another accusation of foul play and not following the rules. Here too the wider internet is asked to join in the "sleuthing" to diffuse responsibility

It really doesn't look like helping a fellow forum member, it looks like a smear campaign. It's the elements plus the sketchy behaviour around them that don't paint a pretty picture. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:42:33 pm by Mr. Scram »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 05:13:33 am »
This isn't about you, it's about the displayed behaviour.

I'm flattered by the attention, but your wrong in your assumptions about me or why I started this thread. I have repeatedly told you my motivation several times now. To highlight potential cheating and help Buddy from The Radio Shop who is an EEVblog member who was winning.

It really doesn't look like helping a fellow forum member, it looks like a smear campaign.

This has got to be the nicest smear campaign I've ever seen.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 05:40:14 pm »
Go, Buddy, go.

The following users thanked this post: Shock, Radio Tech

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2018, 01:04:28 pm »
And this is why I hate public voting for contests.
In theory people would choose the best entry and vote accordingly, but people are lazy.
a) Vote for X as he asked me to on FB/youtube/forum, never consider the other entries.
b) Vote whoever has the most votes, as they don't want to upset anything.
c) Don't have the time/patience to watch the majority, or any of the videos.
d) Use bots to vote, and create multiple accounts.
e) Actually take money to vote for one person, yes I've seen this happen.

Seriously, if each video is say 3 minutes long, then 10 entries is 1/2 an hour, 40 entries is 2 hours.
A fairer system would be to randomly serve up say 5 videos, only after watching all 5, can you choose which (of those 5 vids) you liked the most.
Let statistics take care of the rest, the best videos will float to the top given enough people voting.
Much harder to cheat the system, as you cannot just vote for your friend.

The following users thanked this post: Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2018, 03:00:38 pm »
Seriously, if each video is say 3 minutes long, then 10 entries is 1/2 an hour, 40 entries is 2 hours.
A fairer system would be to randomly serve up say 5 videos, only after watching all 5, can you choose which (of those 5 vids) you liked the most.
Let statistics take care of the rest, the best videos will float to the top given enough people voting.
Much harder to cheat the system, as you cannot just vote for your friend.

I ended up watching all the videos when they came out. For me it was between Buddy and Alan who just happened to be both EEVblog members and have great channels. As for the other contestants I wasn't convinced when I saw them going for the phone, tablet and computer etc with a bottle of Deoxit.

I wouldn't mind if they picked their own winner. But then perhaps people would feel less inclined to promote it.

The following users thanked this post: Radio Tech

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2018, 07:40:31 am »
I've watched all of the submissions and have voted for almost all of them at different times, nobody likes to finish last and it doesn't cost anything to give a slight boost or pat on the back to those others who also made an effort.   :clap:

The following users thanked this post: Shock, Radio Tech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2018, 07:51:28 am »
Buddy is holding 169 votes now from the lead, a good chance of a win if we can bump it up 20 more a day.
Alan looks like he might be able to muster a 4th place win with a little more as well.

I feel like a radio announcer. Only a week to go!
Win it for EEVBlog Buddy, u can do eeet!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2018, 09:59:11 am »
I'm flattered by the attention, but your wrong in your assumptions about me or why I started this thread. I have repeatedly told you my motivation several times now. To highlight potential cheating and help Buddy from The Radio Shop who is an EEVblog member who was winning.

This has got to be the nicest smear campaign I've ever seen.
I'm inclined to believe you really do think you're being nice and helpful and that scares me more than if you were just being malicious. As I said before, the road to hell is paved with good intentions and a lot of history's atrocities have been committed by people who were convinced they were doing the right thing. It's a smear campaign, regardless of whether it's intended to help anyone. Nice smear campaigns don't exist.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2018, 05:10:37 pm »
Alan is now in 4th place so now into the prize money if he can hold it.
Well done to whomever voted for him in the last hour or so.

Don't let those dirty Audio guys steal all EEVBlogs Caig loot!
RF over HF!
Probes over Phonos!
Solder over Sodder!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:12:22 pm by Shock »

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2018, 05:37:25 pm »
Please promise not to start this kind of thread for me when I enter a contest.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2018, 06:40:47 pm »
Please promise not to start this kind of thread for me when I enter a contest.

Sounds like begging for attention. See how things can be easily misread.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf