Author Topic: Electric toothbrushes  (Read 6400 times)

Offline wissTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Electric toothbrushes
« on: October 19, 2014, 06:19:53 pm »
In 2010 I bought a new Philips Sonicare (about 100 €), after 2 years the battery was bad enough to not support a 2 minute brush.
So I bought a Braun Oral (30 € ?), after one week it could not brush 2 minutes. Returned it for a full refund.
Bought another Sonicare (70 € ?), that one made it almost 1.5 years.
Last Wednesday I bought a Braun OralB PRO 700, today the battery died in less than 2 minutes. (it has been sitting in the charger since Friday morning)

What the * is wrong with these thingies?

Do others have similar problems?

Offline Galaxyrise

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Electric toothbrushes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 06:27:49 pm »
I used a Braun for about 4 years.  I did not store it in the charger. Instead I charged it over 24 hours and then used it till it slowed down too much (over a week, usually.)

I'm using a Sonicare now, but I don't like the brushing experience as much so far.  Makes my lips go numb, flings toothpaste all over sometimes.  As before, I'm only putting it in the charger when it complains.
I am but an egg

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 06:37:04 pm »
I have an outlet connected to the bathroom light.  Stuff only charges when the light is on.  Rechargable stuff seems to last a long time that way.  My  camp is 12V and the rechargable stuff is connected to the fridge inverter power.  That only comes on for 10 minutes at a time.  Most chargers are really dumb and cook the batteries over time.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 06:42:28 pm »
I have a cheap ($7 CDN) Oral CrossAction B toothbrush for about 5 or 6 years now and it uses a single AA cell.  I use AA eneloops.

I avoid the higher end and higher priced toothbrush due to non easy way of opening and changing the battery.  Most consumers, I suspect, throw them away when the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore.

Have you tried looking at some youtube videos on how to open and replace your battery in the Sonicare?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 06:50:09 pm »
Have you tried looking at some youtube videos on how to open and replace your battery in the Sonicare?

Yes, I did, the surgery looked simple enough, but to get the correct spare battery did not appear trivial...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 07:51:11 pm »
Quick teardown (the old (blue) fought back when I tried to open it  >:D )...

Anyway, the expensive one has a LiIon AA but the cheap one has two AAA NiMH, that would be repairable!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 07:59:41 pm »
I took one and did a small modification on it to make it into a frother. Works well for that, though the sealing is no longer working, but as I do not wash the actual unit any more it is no worry anyway. Just took out the "gearbox" and used a bushing to support the coupling onto the motor shaft, and a few minutes work with some 2 part white epoxy to make a top section for it and there it was.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 08:19:29 pm »
I got two Oral-B Pro 2000 and just after a year the batteries lasted only 50% of the original runtime (only 50 charge cycles). After replacing the batteries both run fine for 2 years now. Expensive toothbrushes and cheap batteries, WTF?

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 09:02:56 pm »
Anyway, the expensive one has a LiIon AA but the cheap one has two AAA NiMH, that would be repairable!
I suggest AAA eneloops from a reputable distributor (not ebay).

Offline denelec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 09:08:05 pm »
I bought an Oral-B 3D Excel almost 12 years ago.
The battery is still fine but the charger just died. I only charged it when the battery ran low.
I ordered an Oral-B 7000.  I hope it will last a long time.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 09:20:02 pm »
I have a braun one, its about 5 years old now but i did have to replace the battery a couple of years ago. Its a standard size cell but is a challenge to get them apart.

I never keep it in its charger, the trickle charging they get just kills the battery

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 06:30:34 pm »
I've used Sonicare since 1996.   The AA have the same power but no 'quad' pacer nor the ills of NiCd technology in the rechargeable, not sure what battery chemistry is used today.   Many complaints about water damage are due to failure to care for the o-ring to insure a water tight seal.  I have 3 Xtremes of my own, and I gave away another 4 as gifts, after showing them how to clean the battery cover all are alive and well since 2008.

With removable battery units you can insure the battery is in top shape, and easy to replace DIY.  With alkaline I get ~ 3-4months, and NiMH ~ 2-3 months per charge.  I have two in service until the battery dies, when it does I switch to a fresh handle, so I don't get my brushing interrupted.   After brushing I service the dead handle and put in a fresh set of batteries, which is then put in the backup bin.  The other handle is also in use but the battery is offset by 2- weeks so both in-use handles never die simultaneously, and there is always a backup ready to be used.

When I bought them they were maligned because of the leak issue, I got them between $12-15 each, nearly the cost of a replacement brush.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:32:41 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 08:37:42 pm »
I suggest AAA eneloops from a reputable distributor (not ebay).

That model was 199 SEK ~ 22 € at the store now, not going to bother...

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »

I use this one, with the two removable AA batteries. I use it with Eneloops and it runs weeks on a set.

Unfortunately, it is not completely waterproof and it will fail if water gets into the electronics compartment. The plastic case is supposed to be welded shut all around, but due to poor manufacturing there seem be spaces where water can get in. Also the o-ring around the battery cover is not a good fit and water will get in there unless you take good care of it.

That said, this model is far better in my opinion than the ones that have built-in batteries and a charging base. Just don't submerge it in water or use it in steamy environments like the shower.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 09:44:27 am »
We buy Oral B Pulsar 4 packs at Costco for under $20, that is $5 a pop. Weird that on amazon they go for a lot of money, like almost 10 times more.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf