Author Topic: Electronics at sea  (Read 11602 times)

Offline Herr R aus BTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
Re: Electronics at sea
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2018, 12:54:35 pm »
I never thought, talking a small travel electronics assortment would end up in yet antoher of these never ending, fundamentalistic - say religious? - discussions... MAFIA??? Can I close my own thread??? :-)

No need for concern, it's not unusual here for a thread to end up as Linux vs Microsoft, Imperial vs Metric, Apple vs Everything Else, and so on. Must be a corollary to Godwin's Law or something.

I know, I know - I couldn't be less concerned  :box:

Btw... I started my coding carreer mainly in OS/2 - back in the day, when IBM said to the world: World, we enlighten you with the first true 32bit preemptive real multitask operating system, where we unfortunately don't have any suitable software for, hence we included a full windows 3.1 emulation... Well - guess what... I loved OS/2, because from a coder's perspective it was all perfectly incorporating benefits of Windows and Unix-like operating systems... And in the end it was free, coz Big Blue back then really was supporting the beginning open source movement... well... back then... :-) And the fanboy thing was not less intense than today. And when we started doing cross platform development, we kinda were homeless ;-)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:56:25 pm by Herr R aus B »

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2018, 12:57:58 pm »
Regardless of what Trump says, in this global interconnected world, the USA requires to collaborate with many other nations, METRIC nations.
Did he announce the U.S. leaving scientific standards now as well? Did I miss something? :-)

How about an import tariff on all products using metric dimensions?  ::)

Don't feed the Trump! :-)

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2018, 02:20:13 pm »
I never thought, talking a small travel electronics assortment would end up in yet antoher of these never ending, fundamentalistic - say religious? - discussions... MAFIA??? Can I close my own thread??? :-)

No need for concern, it's not unusual here for a thread to end up as Linux vs Microsoft, Imperial vs Metric, Apple vs Everything Else, and so on. Must be a corollary to Godwin's Law or something.
That's not even remotely comparable. There are good arguments for using both linux and windos, as well as apple or something else. There is no good reason to stick with imperial though, it's just arrogant bullheadedness that causes inconvenience and extra cost for everyone in the world. As for nautical miles, if you think of it as an alias for arc minutes it makes sense to stick with nmi and knots when navigating perhaps. Fathoms and feet, not so much.

Whose feet and fathoms are that? Probably this guys

Yeah, that makes so much sense 2018. ::)
Maybe it's time for Trump to redefine the foot to match his own. ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:25:21 pm by apis »

Offline Eka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2018, 12:03:58 am »
How about an import tariff on all products using metric dimensions?  ::)
Tariffs should be based on the cost differences between labor rates, workers benefits, and meeting environmental regulations.

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2018, 03:20:17 am »
We just need to drain the ocean so it is a round lot metric number. Or not drain but raise the sea level which we are doing a pretty good job at.

30 foot waves would scare the hell out of me. If the seas are constantly high how do people sleep? That could be a problem with sleep deprivation and dangerous mistakes.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2018, 06:17:29 am »
Tariffs should be based on the cost differences between labor rates, workers benefits, and meeting environmental regulations.

Right -- which is why tariffs on European cars are such an obvious idea. As everyone knows, those car manufacturers have built their business on cheap labor, lack of social benefits, and lax environmental regulations in Europe. :P

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2018, 05:13:08 pm »
We just need to drain the ocean so it is a round lot metric number. Or not drain but raise the sea level which we are doing a pretty good job at.

First you just wanted to drain the swamp... now an entire ocean??? It's gettin' bizzarre...  :o

( :) )

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2018, 05:17:03 pm »

------------- 8< -------------

Whose feet and fathoms are that? Probably this guys

------------- 8< -------------

Maybe it's time for Trump to redefine the foot to match his own. ;)

Nice coincidence, that i just bumped into that one on YT...

;D

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2018, 10:31:11 pm »
Ahh, 16 men of course, couldn't have them pesky women mess up the measurement.  ::)

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2018, 04:41:34 pm »
Ahh, 16 men of course, couldn't have them pesky women mess up the measurement.  ::)

due to trigonometrie pumps and heels might shorten the foot length artificially and ruin the measurement :-)

The following users thanked this post: apis

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2018, 04:52:51 pm »
We are having a mid Agean Sea barbecue, the pig on the spit measured very tasty.
I'm electronically illiterate

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2018, 09:08:32 am »
We are having a mid Agean Sea barbecue, the pig on the spit measured very tasty.

philipino seamen, i guess? very enjoyable :-)

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2018, 06:06:44 am »

Benelux boat, we know how to live - and have a stellar safety record despite moving cooler boxes of, erm, beverage by crane to the party deck on special occasions.

Would make your English H&S rubber stamper loose his alignment. But we don’t care, we do safety better with 1 or 2 forms than they do with 4 or 5.

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2018, 08:17:00 am »

Benelux boat, we know how to live - and have a stellar safety record despite moving cooler boxes of, erm, beverage by crane to the party deck on special occasions.

Would make your English H&S rubber stamper loose his alignment. But we don’t care, we do safety better with 1 or 2 forms than they do with 4 or 5.

whatever an english rubber stamper might be... they had some BBQ as well - but you know... russians and ukrainians... different kinda ppl, don't talk much ;-) The philipinos tho always have been very funny :-) the best lifestyle i met on an OPDR vessel under spanish flag... great ppl, great food, all spanish or latin american crew - but those times now are long gone...OPDR was lately merged with MacAndrews and in the end everything belongs to CMA CGM now, sailing under some obscure flag - the usual thing... i guess in 10-20 years everything is Maersk, CMA/CGM, China Shipping and maybe MSC and all ships will sail under Monrovia flag or whatever small state which landmass could be covered multiple times by all the vessels registered there... maybe one chinese captain and one chinese chief aboard, otherwise everything completely automated... sucks...

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2018, 04:57:00 am »

Right -- which is why tariffs on European cars are such an obvious idea. As everyone knows, those car manufacturers have built their business on cheap labor, lack of social benefits, and lax environmental regulations in Europe. :P

In Europe? These tariffs from the orange clown are going to costs jobs all around the world worst hit will be our own jobs. But it's OK we can get jobs as coal miners since he thinks we need people to wash the coal, after all that's how you make "clean coal". Last time I checked being a coal miner was the worst job ever, where you were likely to die at worst, or die a horrible death from coal miners lung at best. It scares me to think what other terrible premodern jobs will he bring back.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2018, 07:24:50 am »

whatever an english rubber stamper might be... they had some BBQ as well - but you know... russians and ukrainians... different kinda ppl, don't talk much ;-) The philipinos tho always have been very funny :-) the best lifestyle i met on an OPDR vessel under spanish flag... great ppl, great food, all spanish or latin american crew - but those times now are long gone...OPDR was lately merged with MacAndrews and in the end everything belongs to CMA CGM now, sailing under some obscure flag - the usual thing... i guess in 10-20 years everything is Maersk, CMA/CGM, China Shipping and maybe MSC and all ships will sail under Monrovia flag or whatever small state which landmass could be covered multiple times by all the vessels registered there... maybe one chinese captain and one chinese chief aboard, otherwise everything completely automated... sucks...
I think that is a long way off...
Even things that can´t break, like a rock solid, built for 25 years automatic 3 way valve, sometimes go bananas... Then is automatised using EWS (engineer with a spanner).
If there is not a somewhat competent crew that finds a solution, a ship dead in the water will occur in short order with such a failure,

It's crazy the stuff that breaks at sea, stuff built like a tank, that would outlast a ship twice over on land is dead at sea after just a few years...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:33:25 am by gildasd »

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2018, 04:08:45 pm »
I think that is a long way off...
Even things that can´t break, like a rock solid, built for 25 years automatic 3 way valve, sometimes go bananas... Then is automatised using EWS (engineer with a spanner).
If there is not a somewhat competent crew that finds a solution, a ship dead in the water will occur in short order with such a failure,

It's crazy the stuff that breaks at sea, stuff built like a tank, that would outlast a ship twice over on land is dead at sea after just a few years...
well - on the last trip where this thread originally started one of four bolts holding the cylinder head in place broke in the middle of the biscaya - nice... engine reduced to 50% otherwise oil leaked out - anyway... under sharp survaillance we got to porto ;-)

of course you are right. but this is like truck driving - just a little bit more boxes and a little bit larger... the priciples of time pressure and saving everywhere is the same.... and with some officers i met i doubt their competence... way too young and according to the - in that case german captains - neither very experienced nor well educated. but obviously they have to take what marlow sends them :-)

and what now is a rubber stamper? :-)

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2018, 10:25:50 pm »
A rubber stamper is the person in a office telling you how to be safe, how to do your job, by signing and rubber stamping papers...
No actual safety is done, but lots of paperwork is stamped.

Them having ever been on a vessel, or knowing which side of a hammer is for flattening fingers, is irrelevant.
As long as the permit procedure is as long, tedious and not relevant, as possible... They are happy.

Companies from the UK are notorious for paperwork over real safety, hence rubber stamping and the need to hire a rubber stamper stamp rubber.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2018, 04:31:20 pm »
Speaking of units of measurement, meters, miles, knots, etc... Why did anybody ever tell me that lumber measurements (2"x4", 2"x6", 4"x4", etc) where not the actual size of the final piece of wood you were getting?  :palm:  :-DD

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:34:22 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

The following users thanked this post: gildasd

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2018, 05:34:01 pm »
A rubber stamper is the person in a office telling you how to be safe, how to do your job, by signing and rubber stamping papers...
No actual safety is done, but lots of paperwork is stamped.

Them having ever been on a vessel, or knowing which side of a hammer is for flattening fingers, is irrelevant.
As long as the permit procedure is as long, tedious and not relevant, as possible... They are happy.

Companies from the UK are notorious for paperwork over real safety, hence rubber stamping and the need to hire a rubber stamper stamp rubber.

Ah - OK... That would translate to a "pea counter" or "desk offender" in german :-)

EDIT: Just found out, that a "pea counter" would be a "bean counter" in proper english - well then, everything is about counting legumes, it seems :-)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:10:26 am by Herr R aus B »

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2018, 04:26:22 am »
Speaking of units of measurement, meters, miles, knots, etc... Why did anybody ever tell me that lumber measurements (2"x4", 2"x6", 4"x4", etc) where not the actual size of the final piece of wood you were getting?  :palm:  :-DD

That is the rough sawn size before it is planed.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2018, 01:50:50 am »
In the past, I have downloaded open source laptop GPS programs and nautical charts, all free, via the USA government NOAA website. Add a small, cheap GPS antenna dongle and you can do amazing things. You might enjoy having such. Many other GPS programs are available for free, on the internet... Automobile navigation, aircraft navigation, etc...

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/ChartCatalog/MapSelect.html

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf