Author Topic: Electronics toolkit application for iPhone (iOS)  (Read 19768 times)

Offline RenGateTopic starter

• Contributor
Electronics toolkit application for iPhone (iOS)
« on: July 29, 2014, 03:59:38 pm »
Hi, everybody.
Recently I have finished development of an application for iPhone and now would like to present it to everyone on this forum.
The Electronics Engineer Helper 1.3.0 includes following tools
  • Datasheets search with ability to exchange PDFs via iTunes file sharing and attach notes
  • Through-hole resistor color code calculator (4, 5 and 6 bands)
  • SMD resistor code calculator (2 symbols, 3/4 digits and EIA96)
  • AWG Converter. Calculates wire diameter, cross section area, resistance and ampacity in both metric and US units. Solid and stranded, copper and aluminum wire types are supported
  • Inductor Color Code (both Through-hole and chip ceramic inductors are supported)
  • Ohm's law calculator.
  • Pinouts Guide. Provides information about modern digital and analog interfaces.
More tools will be included in future versions based on your feedback.
The application is absolutely free without advertisements or In-app purchases.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/electronics-engineer-helper/id896429646?mt=8

I hope that this application will help speed up your electronics related work. Feedback is highly appreciated ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:03:39 pm by RenGate »

• Contributor
Re: Electronics toolkit application for iPhone (iOS)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:20:00 am »
I am very happy to announce about release of version 1.1.0. In this version I implemented AWG Converter, which converts gauge value to cross section area, diameter, ampacity, and resistance in metric and imperial units for both solid/stranded and aluminum/copper wires.

What kind of tools you would like to see in future versions  :-/O ?

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 01:02:43 pm »
Looks nice, unfortunately, I have an Android phone so would not be able to run this. Any plans for an Android version?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 01:18:14 pm »
Unfortunately, I don't know how to build applications for Android, so this app will not be released for it in near time. Anyway, thanks for feedback  :D.

Online notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 07:39:28 am »
For your android device try 'electrodroid'

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 06:01:45 pm »

I second this. I use ElectroDroid Pro, not because I had any use for the extra features but because ElectroDroid was so nice to have on hand I wanted to support the author.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:10:44 pm »
I second this. I use ElectroDroid Pro, not because I had any use for the extra features but because ElectroDroid was so nice to have on hand I wanted to support the author.

Agreed, ElectroDroid is quite useful. I use it from time to time on my LG P500 phone. What features do you use the most often from that app?

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 05:57:59 pm »
After a few weeks of active development and two weeks long App Store's "Waiting for review" process, a new version is finally available for download :)
In 1.2.0 I implemented a tool for decoding of inductors' color codes and redesigned smd resistor code picker, so it doesn't need typing anymore, along with few tweaks for proper iOS 8 support.

As usually you can download it absolutely free at
Currently I am developing an Ohm's Law Calculator and would really love to hear your suggestions for another tools which you would use in your work-flow :-DMM.

Offline LightYear

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 12:40:12 am »
Just downloaded your app and I'm impressed! Very clean, quick and useful. So many of these apps try to cram in too much and become gaudy. Not yours. Love the metric options and being able to do resistor band checks without an Internet connection. Slight criticism: the yellow, orange and gold band colours are a little hard to differentiate.

Well done, and thank you for sharing.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 06:11:45 pm »
Just downloaded your app and I'm impressed! Very clean, quick and useful. So many of these apps try to cram in too much and become gaudy. Not yours. Love the metric options and being able to do resistor band checks without an Internet connection. Slight criticism: the yellow, orange and gold band colours are a little hard to differentiate.

Well done, and thank you for sharing.

Thank you very much for feedback. I tried to alter saturation of yellow, orange and gold colours and here is what I got

Please, let me know what do you think about it  :)

Offline sunnyhighway

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 09:22:15 pm »
The resistor tolerance sequence seems out of order.

10%
5%
1%    <<<
2%    <<<
0.5%
0.25%
0.1%

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 03:48:08 pm »
The resistor tolerance sequence seems out of order.

10%
5%
1%    <<<
2%    <<<
0.5%
0.25%
0.1%

Thank you for pointing out :D, I will rearrange those two bands in next version.

Offline Jim95

• Contributor
  • EE University of Sheffield Student
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 11:05:00 am »
Just downloaded the app and I think it looks stunning.

However it would be nice to see some calculators in there such as various passive filters and op-amps.

Look forward to future updates!

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 01:18:42 am »
I guess you could get some inspiration from this paid app (Electronic Toolbox, 5.99 EUR), I can really recommend it:

https://itunes.apple.com/fi/app/electronic-toolbox-pro/id339158729?mt=8

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 07:23:43 am »
Just downloaded the app and I think it looks stunning.
However it would be nice to see some calculators in there such as various passive filters and op-amps.
Look forward to future updates!

Thank you for feedback :) I will think about how to create nice convenient calculator for passive filters.

I guess you could get some inspiration from this paid app (Electronic Toolbox, 5.99 EUR), I can really recommend it:
Yep, Electronic Toolbox has a huge variety of functionality. What kind of tools do you use most often from that app?

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 11:38:11 pm »
What kind of tools do you use most often from that app?

I think mainly the datasheet ones, faster than those shitty PCs in the lab and you can have your phone show the pinout/diagram pictures right next to the circuit board.

Offline LightYear

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 02:18:01 am »
Thank you very much for feedback. I tried to alter saturation of yellow, orange and gold colours and here is what I got

Please, let me know what do you think about it  :)

Orange and gold are definitely better. Still think yellow could be a bit brighter (less orange) somehow. I know, colours are hard! Problem really occurs when you don't have them side by side and have to identify them in isolation.

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 03:08:54 pm »
I think mainly the datasheet ones, faster than those shitty PCs in the lab and you can have your phone show the pinout/diagram pictures right next to the circuit board.
Great, now I know that I implemented Datasheet Search not in vain :). I plan to add datasheet search over more websites in next version.

Orange and gold are definitely better. Still think yellow could be a bit brighter (less orange) somehow. I know, colours are hard! Problem really occurs when you don't have them side by side and have to identify them in isolation.
Thanks, I get your point ;), I will apply new colors in next version.

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 12:18:54 pm »
Version 1.3.0 was just released in App Store :). I received some feedback about lack of Ohm's law calculator in EE Helper and now I am very happy to announce about its availability. Also the Pinouts Guide was added. Just select required pin and it will be highlighted on pinout diagram. Feedback about wrong descriptions is highly appreciated.

As always you can download EE Helper absolutely free at

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 05:29:10 pm »
After many months of development another update for Electronics Engineer Helper was released.
One of the main new features in 1.5.0 is a passive filter frequency response tool :-+. Using it you can measure an attenuation of common passive filters like low-pass, high-pass, band-pass or band-stop at arbitrary frequencies.

Besides integration of passive filters tool a number of usability improvements were made throughout the app.
What do you think about new features? Or what changes you would like to see in existing tools? Please, let me know.

Full changelog as well as download link are available at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/electronics-engineer-helper/id896429646?mt=8

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf