Author Topic: Energiser Eco Fail  (Read 6541 times)

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Energiser Eco Fail
« on: December 16, 2016, 10:59:53 am »
Hi Guys :)
Has anyone had an issue with these new Energiser Eco scam batteries?
The first lot I tried has been AA, and failed miserably.
One of the batteries starts making a bubbling or cooking sound when
the torch is on, but without warming up at all.
After 5 minutes or so it prevents the series chain working at all until
the torch has been turned off for some time, and the cycle repeats.

I'd say by knowing the torch well (not by measurement),
the rest of the cells are about half depleted.
Cheers, Brek.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Energiser Eco Fail
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 11:34:09 am »
Bizarre.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 05:02:38 pm »
 :o What kind of current are you using from the poor AA cells?
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 01:09:20 am »
I don't know, but the same current the same torch has drawn from
every other poor AA cell for the last 5 years or so.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 01:34:49 am »
Why would you even bother with this shite ?

Just another corporate trying to it's bit for the environment at great cost to their customers, not them.  :--

They'd be better off developing and promoting quality rechargeables at lower costs than they currently are but no, that might have an impact on the viability of their production of one-time use products in the long term.  ::)

So if we shun these 2nd 3rd rate "Eco" products and they withdraw them we've done ourselves a favour despite any bad press they might get for withdrawing them in the future.
They'll of course defend themselves saying the products weren't "popular" and then the finger will be again pointed at the "wasteful consumer" with it all set up for a case of "rinse and repeat" marketing BS.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 02:27:14 am »
Of course it's BS. 4-5% recycled material
could cover the packaging or battery label for all we know,
and if not, so what? Lol.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 03:58:00 am »

Just another corporate trying to it's bit for the environment at great cost to their customers, not them.  :--

They'd be better off developing and promoting quality rechargeables at lower costs than they currently are but no, that might have an impact on the viability of their production of one-time use products in the long term.  ::)

So if we shun these 2nd 3rd rate "Eco" products and they withdraw them we've done ourselves a favour despite any bad press they might get for withdrawing them in the future.
They'll of course defend themselves saying the products weren't "popular" and then the finger will be again pointed at the "wasteful consumer" with it all set up for a case of "rinse and repeat" marketing BS.

I would have like to see more work done on 1.5volt rechargeable.  Rayovac made alkaline rechargeable for a while.  Instead of NiMH's 1.2V, the alkaline rechargeable ran at 1.5V but with only about 25-50 cycles.

If there is good 1.5V LSD rechargeable, the reason for these disposable primary is gone.  Right now, I still need some non-rechargeables on-hand because some stuff just doesn't run so well on 1.2V Eneloops.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 07:46:42 am »
I would have like to see more work done on 1.5volt rechargeable.  Rayovac made alkaline rechargeable for a while.  Instead of NiMH's 1.2V, the alkaline rechargeable ran at 1.5V but with only about 25-50 cycles.
As long as they're cheaper than buying 25 disposables, that might still be a win. The exception is devices that use batteries slow enough that a rechargeable would die of old age long before it meets its cycle limit.

That said, it seems like the two big brands are often of poor value.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 09:03:48 am »
a 6pack of AA alkalines from the local £/$ shop will never be beaten.

i'll worry about the enviroment when they clean up Fukushima and stop using the oceans as a military dumping ground.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 09:11:29 am »
As long as they're cheaper than buying 25 disposables, that might still be a win. The exception is devices that use batteries slow enough that a rechargeable would die of old age long before it meets its cycle limit.

Yes, they are but my experience with Kirkland cells is that they reliably leak, they're cheap but if you forget to remove them they can be very expensive.

I've got, from a quick look around, Energiser, Panasonic, Diall, Ikea and a few other cells including some *very* cheap end of promotion packaged Duracells (around 15 pence a cell) and I rarely pay more than 20p a cell.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 06:26:36 pm »

Depends on what it means by 25 cycles.  Some of the Rayovac alkaline rechargeable capacity dropped like a rock (50%-ish) within 10 cycles and prone to leakage.  With unpredictable capacity, they are not reliable from a usage standpoint.  I can't put a battery in and expect X minutes out of it, and I cannot use it for low current stuff like remote-control, clock, etc. without worry about leakage like I can with the Eneloop LSDs.

25 cycles is merely borderline worth while.  Factor in having to drive to the store to buy them, and the time involved, disposables that keep for 10 years is a better deal.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 08:48:58 pm »

Yes, they are but my experience with Kirkland cells is that they reliably leak, they're cheap but if you forget to remove them they can be very expensive.

I've got, from a quick look around, Energiser, Panasonic, Diall, Ikea and a few other cells including some *very* cheap end of promotion packaged Duracells (around 15 pence a cell) and I rarely pay more than 20p a cell.

...but if you wany the best value it looks as if you need to take a trip to Ikea....  and they're only 10p each!  :o

http://www.batteryshowdown.com/
Best Regards, Chris

Offline roffvald

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 04:06:44 am »
My local Clas Ohlson carries cheap Vartas and IKEA sells stacks on stacks of all sizes for cheap. Great batteries for low price, screw spending fortunes on single use batteries.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 09:10:13 am »
Much as I like Clas Ohlsson the closest store to me is rather inconveniently in a city centre with expensive parking or public transport, on top of that the prices aren't exactly good, it works out at 20p per cell so they're top end of what I'd be happy to pay for an alkaline cell.

Ikea are now 15p a cell, I've recently been buying from Wilkinsons who are around 12.5p a cell and so far they seem to have been good value for money.

Maybe if I get some time over Christmas I'll hack together the logging electronic load I've been intending to build for ever and run some tests.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 11:45:29 am »

If there is good 1.5V LSD rechargeable, the reason for these disposable primary is gone.  Right now, I still need some non-rechargeables on-hand because some stuff just doesn't run so well on 1.2V Eneloops.
How about something like this...
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Kentli%20AA%202800mWh%20(Blue)%20UK.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf