Author Topic: SSD  (Read 14328 times)

Offline IvoSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SSD
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 01:03:17 am »

I meant standard WIN7 folder encryption with certificate.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 01:24:57 am »
By booting up you mean POST (power on self test).  Depending on how old your ssd is, it may or may not just be broken down because of power cycles.  The bandwidth of my ssd is lower now than that of when I have bought it.  This isn't the effect of fragmentation, so don't call me an idiot.  You have no choice but to get a new one.  Blow the ass out of it and send it back  :-+
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 12:30:02 pm »
Question #1: What are the chances of reading the "encrypted" content on win7? Are there any ways (which I believe must exist for FBI-CIA) to decrypt this SSD to someone like its manufacturer?

If someone wants your data, why bother with cracking your encryption?

http://xkcd.com/538/

It's highly unlikely that there are any backdoors for FBI/CIA/MOSSAD/whatever in BitLocker or any other somewhat decent FDE solution. At the end of the day they always can get your access to  data you store on your hard drives and SSDs, it's only a question how much effort that takes and if it's worthwhile doing that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:34:36 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 05:25:01 pm »
By booting up you mean POST (power on self test).  Depending on how old your ssd is, it may or may not just be broken down because of power cycles.  The bandwidth of my ssd is lower now than that of when I have bought it.  This isn't the effect of fragmentation, so don't call me an idiot.  You have no choice but to get a new one.  Blow the ass out of it and send it back  :-+
Either you have lots of dead sectors now or your drive doesn't support TRIM (Maybe your motherboard even)

Anyway OP, is there a chance your SSD is a OCZ Vertex? I'm not surprised they have been dying, still. People on youtube deny OCZ making fail SSDs  :-DD
Just ask electron

Here are some hard numbers ...

Return rates for SSDs by vendor: ( confirmed defects )

Prior to April 2011 :

- Intel 0.1%
- Crucial 0.8%
- Corsair 2.9%
- OCZ 4.2%

(parts sold between April and October 2011, for returns created before April 2012)

- Crucial 0.82% (against 0.8%)
 - Intel 1.73% (against 0.1%)
 - Corsair 2.93% (against 2.9%)
 - OCZ 7.03% (against 4.2%)

splitout of the OCZ failers :

- 15.58% 2 OCZ Vertex Series 240GB SSD
 - 13.28% 2 OCZ Vertex Series 160GB SSD
 - 11.76% 2 OCZ Vertex Series SSD 80GB
 - 9.52% 2 OCZ Vertex Series 120GB SSD
 - 8.57% 3 OCZ Vertex Series 120GB
 - 7.49% 2 OCZ Vertex Series SSD 60GB
 - 6.61% 2 OCZ Vertex Series 3.5 "SSD 120GB
 - 6.37% 3 OCZ Vertex Series 240GB
 - 6.37% March 60 GB OCZ Agility
 - 5.89% 2 OCZ Vertex Series 100GB SSD

You pull the conclusion ...
Any modern operating system supports the TRIM operation. and the drives fully support that now.
Samsung makes a pretty good drive as well but they are mainly focused on mSATA. Some newer motherboards have a slot for such a cartridge.
My laptop runs from a Samsung mSata drive. Lightning fast. But... the machine also has two regular harddisks... the swap files , user folders etc live on the magnetic media. only he OS and software lives on the flash drive. so very little write operations ocurr there.

As for magnetic drives :
Western Digital BLACK series. without a doubt.

Green is low power 5400 rpm... good for archival.
Blue is an overall usage 7200 RPM desktop drive
Black is a 7200 RPM performance / reliability drive with more cache and a faster channel than the blue. they also use lower areal density (more platters) which makes them more reliable. but they draw more power...
RED is for NAS systems and bulletproof backup. Basically BLACK drives with special firmware optimized for bulk throughput.

and what's this obssesion with watercooling. An intel stock heatsink + cooler is all you need.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 06:44:28 pm »
and what's this obssesion with watercooling. An intel stock heatsink + cooler is all you need.
The 6 core i7s don't even include "stock coolers". I do agree that water cooling is overkill for normal uses. I just use a $30 Cooler Master heatsink and a quality Delta fan on the side of the case. Force the fan to full bast and a 3.8GHz Turbo on all 6 cores can be held indefinitely even in a hot room.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 09:22:22 pm »
Either you have lots of dead sectors now or your drive doesn't support TRIM (Maybe your motherboard even)

Anyway OP, is there a chance your SSD is a OCZ Vertex? I'm not surprised they have been dying, still. People on youtube deny OCZ making fail SSDs  :-DD
Just ask electron

Here are some hard numbers ...

Return rates for SSDs by vendor: ( confirmed defects )

Prior to April 2011 :

- Intel 0.1%
- Crucial 0.8%
- Corsair 2.9%
- OCZ 4.2%

(parts sold between April and October 2011, for returns created before April 2012)

- Crucial 0.82% (against 0.8%)
 - Intel 1.73% (against 0.1%)
 - Corsair 2.93% (against 2.9%)
 - OCZ 7.03% (against 4.2%)

splitout of the OCZ failers :

- 15.58% 2 OCZ Vertex Series 240GB SSD
 - 13.28% 2 OCZ Vertex Series 160GB SSD
 - 11.76% 2 OCZ Vertex Series SSD 80GB
 - 9.52% 2 OCZ Vertex Series 120GB SSD
 - 8.57% 3 OCZ Vertex Series 120GB
 - 7.49% 2 OCZ Vertex Series SSD 60GB
 - 6.61% 2 OCZ Vertex Series 3.5 "SSD 120GB
 - 6.37% 3 OCZ Vertex Series 240GB
 - 6.37% March 60 GB OCZ Agility
 - 5.89% 2 OCZ Vertex Series 100GB SSD

You pull the conclusion ...
Any modern operating system supports the TRIM operation. and the drives fully support that now.
Samsung makes a pretty good drive as well but they are mainly focused on mSATA. Some newer motherboards have a slot for such a cartridge.
My laptop runs from a Samsung mSata drive. Lightning fast. But... the machine also has two regular harddisks... the swap files , user folders etc live on the magnetic media. only he OS and software lives on the flash drive. so very little write operations ocurr there.

As for magnetic drives :
Western Digital BLACK series. without a doubt.

Green is low power 5400 rpm... good for archival.
Blue is an overall usage 7200 RPM desktop drive
Black is a 7200 RPM performance / reliability drive with more cache and a faster channel than the blue. they also use lower areal density (more platters) which makes them more reliable. but they draw more power...
RED is for NAS systems and bulletproof backup. Basically BLACK drives with special firmware optimized for bulk throughput.

1 thing is missing from that post, shipped units versus failed unit's percentage.
i have a 2 year old vertex 2 with 8TB+ read/write data on it. sd life says it will work this way 8 more years, note this is with nand chips with 10k write cycles, i had a program which actually told you the write cycles and how much left but i dont remember its name or where i put it. btw write speads nowehere near the advertised value but half of its due to the amd stupid sata controller and half of the sandforce compressing algorithm

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 06:33:39 am »
Ah.  :bullshit:
Being in a country with median temperatures of 30C across the entire year i have seen unnoticed CPUs die early from overheating
Watercooling is meant for people to push the thermal envelopes of their CPU for the overclockers, if you ain't an overclocker you don't get it
Like example the stock heatsink with the low-end pentium Gs/775 pentium DCs are so hopeless i see 60C medium load, guess what i saw in prime95? 80C  :-//
I actually improved the temps with better thermal paste but it's still hopeless
Why do we want a larger cooler? Max junction temp recommended by intel for the IVB parts is only 67.4C (SB was 69.1C but still pretty low( plus IVB have awful thermal resistances from the die to the IHS and on top of that a 3770k actually draws much more than 77W (Something on the order of 100+W) with hyperthreading on
I have a pentium dual core E5700 here with a Deepcool Ice Edge Mini FS and it's running about 37C idle (Speedstep is turned off and i'm on 3.3GHz) and 30C intake in a pretty poor airflow case and 62C full load
Just to give you an idea at full load a i7-3770k on the stock 3770k cooler will hit 80C in my weather with optimal thermal paste application (The standard TIM will not spread properly)
And watercooling is usually meant for extreme everyday overclocks or great silent cooling (Just not the Corsair H100)
1 thing is missing from that post, shipped units versus failed unit's percentage.
i have a 2 year old vertex 2 with 8TB+ read/write data on it. sd life says it will work this way 8 more years, note this is with nand chips with 10k write cycles, i had a program which actually told you the write cycles and how much left but i dont remember its name or where i put it. btw write speads nowehere near the advertised value but half of its due to the amd stupid sata controller and half of the sandforce compressing algorithm
I thought everyone knows this by now, SATA 3 on AMD and Intel isn't too far apart (Z77 vs A85X) but sandforce's compression is the ones that make it saturate SATA3 but when faced with incompressible data you only have 2/3 max speed, not too bad. Still very fast
And those failure figures are shipped over failed units. OCZ SSDs consistently have the most failures
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:25:06 am by T4P »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 08:46:09 pm »
yeah, mostly cos they shipped more units than intel or other manufacturers and the failures will be reported by more peeps you cant get good data on stuffs what sells to low volume to reach enough users to test out bugs etc. im talking about consumer stuffs. more users will torture the devices wider variety of system they will use etc. im not defending them

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 01:02:14 am »
Ah.  :bullshit:
Being in a country with median temperatures of 30C across the entire year i have seen unnoticed CPUs die early from overheating
Watercooling is meant for people to push the thermal envelopes of their CPU for the overclockers, if you ain't an overclocker you don't get it
Like example the stock heatsink with the low-end pentium Gs/775 pentium DCs are so hopeless i see 60C medium load, guess what i saw in prime95? 80C  :-//
I actually improved the temps with better thermal paste but it's still hopeless
Why do we want a larger cooler? Max junction temp recommended by intel for the IVB parts is only 67.4C (SB was 69.1C but still pretty low( plus IVB have awful thermal resistances from the die to the IHS and on top of that a 3770k actually draws much more than 77W (Something on the order of 100+W) with hyperthreading on
I have a pentium dual core E5700 here with a Deepcool Ice Edge Mini FS and it's running about 37C idle (Speedstep is turned off and i'm on 3.3GHz) and 30C intake in a pretty poor airflow case and 62C full load
Just to give you an idea at full load a i7-3770k on the stock 3770k cooler will hit 80C in my weather with optimal thermal paste application (The standard TIM will not spread properly)
And watercooling is usually meant for extreme everyday overclocks or great silent cooling (Just not the Corsair H100)
A $30 Cooler Master heatsink and a $30 Delta fan (which actually cools the entire system) will easily keep an i7-3930k below 60C full load at 30C ambient. Do realize that in a high end PC, $5 fans are not going to work well enough.

Start by disabling any "smart fan" controls and if that greatly lowers temperatures, try tweaking those settings to be more aggressive if you can. (If your motherboard is so basic that it doesn't support adjusting the smart fans, you can try disconnecting the speed control wire on the fans, easily done by using a small screwdriver to release the wire from its connector and taping the loose end. On most PSUs, the only way to disable variable speed voids the warranty so skip that.) If it's still too high, try taking the side panel off the case and directing a fan at it. If it's fixed then, time to add some fans to the side panel.

But yeah, if you're looking for the ultimate cooling (for benchmark purposes), watercooling is very good, and R-134a or R-410a is even better.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 08:17:12 am »
Yeah, i'm aware of "phase" cooling as such, a extreme water cooling loop would rock  :P with some AFB1212SHEs

I am buying a Deepcool Ice Blade Pro for 34SGD (the 30$ hyper212+ is 59$ here  :-//) and slapping 2 AFB1212H PWM version on it or maybe changing it for 2 AFB1212SHE down the road

Wicked heatsink + wicked pressure optimized fans? Awesome. I have WFB1212Ms here and they already deliver wicked pressure

All that to see how much i can OC a A10-5800k/6800k on air  ;D (I'm using G.Skill ARES for my build) Trying to crack 5GHz on air with a not so premium chip (I might as well get a FX-6300 instead but the A10 is still cheaper in terms of boards)

You can afford a 3930k being a employee but i can't  :P And anyway, i know damn well the 3770k IVB is faster than a 3930k SB-E and cooler running as well so i wonder when IVB-E is coming out although haswell is probably faster
In any case i would probably look forward to AMD Kaveri at 3Q/4Q 1-2weeks later richland is coming out (A10-6800k)

Looking forward to haswell? I sure am.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »
The 3770k is not faster than the 3930k. In fact, at this time, only even higher end (and far more expensive) 6 core i7s and Xeons are faster. (It is correct, however, that you get better MFLOPS/$ with the cheaper quad cores.)
http://cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2013, 04:24:39 pm »
Ah, sorry about that. The 3820 will lose to the 3770k i think and the motherboards possibly much cheaper
this is what stumped me
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=552
But IVB is a terrible overclocker  >:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf