Author Topic: ESD mat smell  (Read 6337 times)

Offline pacemkrTopic starter

ESD mat smell
« on: January 28, 2015, 04:14:51 am »
I picked up this mat and the rubber smell is just too toxic, with no sign of dissipating. Is this something that I should expect with any rubber mat, or do higher quality mats not have this problem?

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: ESD mat smell
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 04:21:07 am »
ESD mats are pretty nasty smelling things. There would be an opening in the market for a more user friendly type.

Offline jay

• Regular Contributor
  • Coder
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 04:24:21 am »
My esd mats from Elme have been odorless.
SW engineer trying to design HW because it's more fun.

Offline mij59

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 04:34:23 am »
This is not a rubber mat, its made from pvc.

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 04:40:57 am »
I bought a 4x8 ft roll, and the smell dissipated considerably after about a month.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 05:26:14 am »
A day in the sun will remove most of the smell. No sun? A really warm room and some ventilation (laundry or furnace room).

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:39:57 am »
My experience is those mats seem OK after a while in a well ventilated lab, but if you take them to a small confined office the smell returns. Good ventilation just stops the build up.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 08:37:01 am »
The mat you purchased is vinyl, not 2 layer rubber. Meaning it will dissipate an ESD charge just fine, but it's not suited for use around a soldering iron or sharp objects like the 2 layer rubber is (it's not cheap, but you way overpaid for that vinyl mat).

If you mean to solder on it, here's some 2 layer rubber types on clearance; also a good eBay seller (lots of options here besides size; texture, color, just mat or kit,... ; also does custom sizes if you need it). Bought from both places with no problems.

Also, here's a 2 layer mat kit from Amazon (size = 24"x48"; and it's even $0.50 less than the mat you linked :o). Almost certainly the easiest way to go at this point, assuming you can return the existing mat.

As per smell, both will stink initially, and the rubber is worse IME. Leaving it in a well ventilated area for a day or two will really help (likely not gone, but quite tolerable), and it does continue to dissipate over time (smell should be effectively gone by ~4 weeks or so indoors).

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 01:32:16 pm »
Please forgive the bad memory, but I bought a piece of rubber ESD mat from someone on the blog who bought a good quantity and offered the extra out to the group.  IIRC, there was a smell for a short while but it soon dissipated and the mat no longer smells.  I would go with the rubber if I were you.  I do solder on mine without issues.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 01:52:24 pm »
the rubber mats I've gotten always have a scent/weird feel but is easily removed with a quick wash.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Michal_S

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 02:09:29 pm »
My esd mats from Elme have been odorless.
I confirm.

Offline pacemkrTopic starter

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 04:35:21 pm »
Took me a while, but I finally got the Elme mat, from here

It doesn't smell at all. It's also far better quality than what I've gotten from Amazon before.

Thank you!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf