Author Topic: Ever wondered how electric bike wheels are assembled?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Kiriakos-GRTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
Ever wondered how electric bike wheels are assembled?
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:09:50 am »
Something interesting and fresh .

I do some thinking about the possibility to convert my bicycle in to e-bike.  :)

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/content.php?r=457-Ever-wondered-how-electric-bike-wheels-are-assembled

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Ever wondered how electric bike wheels are assembled?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 07:13:30 pm »
I own a Bike E AT.  The Bike E recumbent is very popular platform to convert to an electric bicycle.  I chose not to convert it to electric motor assists.  The important task to convert a bicycle to electric is to make certain that all the components fit the frame and the rider is still able to reach the controls and maintain balance when riding in both pedal powered and electric motor assists.  It is challenging to convert a skinny tires racing road bicycle to electric, because fork and rear stays tire clearance will not allow enough room to accommodate the electric motor.  The battery box is a bit heavy for the carbon fiber frame.  The bicycle will not be allowed in races, if we add an electric motor into the drive chain.  I see most hybrid street or mountain bicycle being converted to electric motor assists. 

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:18:42 pm by Lawsen »

Offline Kiriakos-GRTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 09:15:59 pm »
I am doing some thoughts to use one of those 250W wheels.
And convert one normal bike in to a e-bike, by loading the batteries at the back .

The problem is that some one in my town asked for 170 EUR for just the rear wheel.
That is a standard bike wheel with the motor at the center, ready to accept common Shimano sprockets.

I have many questions about this subject, like how you can tell how effective it can be one wheel from another ?
They all look the same.

Even so , some they sale them at prices like to was made from gold.

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 01:17:22 am »
Far too labour intensive.
Not a motorised hub, but check out from 7:20 on this video

The handle bars are cool too, starting around 4:00.

The whole video is good to watch.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf