Author Topic: Fake outlet prank at airport  (Read 11116 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Fake outlet prank at airport
« on: May 19, 2017, 02:59:51 am »

The following users thanked this post: CalMachine

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Fake outlet prank at airport
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:51:36 pm »
This is a good idea of a prank video. I watched it a few months ago, and it's one where everybody laughed, nobody was offended or hurt, and that was genuinely funny/entertaining to watch.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:24:10 am »
 :palm:

No, I'm sorry, I disagree.

Homer: You normally post links to some pretty awesome videos. But this is just stupid and appeals to the mostly brain dead community of "average people". This is the kind of crap click bait and fake news is made of. It did not deserve my view stat.

Go back to posting educational and vintage tech stuff!

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 07:33:06 am »

Offline Barny

• Frequent Contributor
  • I'm from Austria, not Australia ;)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 08:11:26 am »
Sadly with our "Schuko" outlets make it inpossible to make this prank here because the whole plug is recessed into the wall.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:29:49 am »
There are surface mounting schukos
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 01:34:51 pm »
I wonder how the guys behind this channel avoid litigation

Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 02:42:23 pm »

Homer: You normally post links to some pretty awesome videos. But this is just stupid and appeals to the mostly brain dead community of "average people". This is the kind of crap click bait and fake news is made of. It did not deserve my view stat.

It appealed to me. I found it funny, and a good idea for a joke to be played on someone. If you don't like it that's you.

Also it's entirely possible to do that with a Shucko plug, because if you make it short enough, the pins will still hit the wall (They will go deeper than the rest of the plug.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 07:07:41 pm »
ROFL  :-DD :palm:

what the hell are they going to say?

"Your Honor Judge Guy, I was stealing this bike and went to sit down and it burned my ass! I'm gonna sue for being a dumbass!"

From my understanding, if You are committing a crime in the US, and get hurt along the way or ripped off, you can't sue for that.  Like a Crack addict goes to buy some crack, and the dealer runs off with the money. The Police won't do anything to help get your money back. 

But, then again, there have been successful lawsuits of someone breaking in to another persons home to steal their TV or something, and then suing because they slipped and fell on the floor inside the house.  :palm:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:11:48 pm by Falcon69 »

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 07:15:07 pm »
I wonder how the guys behind this channel avoid litigation

Because it's fake.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

The following users thanked this post: jolshefsky

Offline yada

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 07:38:05 pm »
I bought a house where the phone lines were all like that. Never noticed until I was painting one day and took it off only to find it was just screwed into the drywall. Also the place a mirror that was glued on to the sheet rock with no paint behind them. So the contractor put this stuff up. I have no idea what the previous people did since it was built in the 1980's and using a cell phone wouldn't have worked as they were away from the main roads, plus that would have been expensive. The chimney was also fire proofed but not at the very top so almost all the houses eventually caught on fire. A fine example of "good enough" craftsmanship. 

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 07:43:51 pm »
They do that here also.

They will install cable and phone jacks, without a box. Just screw the faceplate into the sheetrock.  They pull out so easy.

It's low voltage stuff, so it is not required to go into a box. But it does suck. Any small movement of the cable or phone cord, and out comes the faceplate, ripping the sheetrock with it.

Usually if I run into a remodel project and I see this, I'll mention it to the customer, and they often pay for a cut-in box to be put in place.

Like you said, 'good enough' craftsmanship at its finest.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 11:02:19 pm »

"Your Honor Judge Guy, I was stealing this bike and went to sit down and it burned my ass! I'm gonna sue for being a dumbass!"

From my understanding, if You are committing a crime in the US, and get hurt along the way or ripped off, you can't sue for that.  Like a Crack addict goes to buy some crack, and the dealer runs off with the money. The Police won't do anything to help get your money back. 

But, then again, there have been successful lawsuits of someone breaking in to another persons home to steal their TV or something, and then suing because they slipped and fell on the floor inside the house.  :palm:

Unfortunately any sort of boobytrap is illegal and a thief really could press charges and/or sue. I despise thieves so I personally wish it were legal to do this sort of thing but it isn't.

Using bait and apprehending thieves is legal though, but you have to be there to physically witness the crime and apprehend them, you can't just inure them.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 01:16:45 am »

Well I disagree with your opinion, not stupid, just good humor where nobody is hurt. But I do agree with you that vintage tech stuff is cool.  :-+

Offline yada

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 01:57:56 am »

Unfortunately any sort of boobytrap is illegal and a thief really could press charges and/or sue. I despise thieves so I personally wish it were legal to do this sort of thing but it isn't.

Using bait and apprehending thieves is legal though, but you have to be there to physically witness the crime and apprehend them, you can't just inure them.

I saw a police video show like cops where they went to a bad area and put this 3000$ Mercedes mountain bike outside a building and just waited for someone to ride off on it. How is that stopping crime? If the bike wasn't left out there would be no opportunity to steal it. I have also heard of the cops selling drugs to people then busting them for possession of drugs. Who know how many bikes were stolen because the cops were watching the "bait" bike instead of a real persons bike. They are creating criminals when they do this. If you are hungry and desperate and some dumb rich asshole leaves his bike out with no lock, that's going to tempt people who normally wouldn't steal to steal, and after court they will have a record that will keep them from getting a job, encouraging more stealing.

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
  • somehow has an ee degree
    • szy.io
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 02:22:21 am »
this is just stupid and appeals to the mostly brain dead community of "average people"

NORMIES REEEEEE
somehow allowed to be a Pixie Wrangler in Training
eBay Store | My site | Hackaday.io Projects | my mastodon.technology profile

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 02:42:55 am »

[/quote]

...and after court they will have a record that will keep them from getting a job, encouraging more stealing.
[/quote]

boo hoo

DON'T be a fvcking thief and you won't have that problem...

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 05:21:26 am »

I have also heard of the cops selling drugs to people then busting them for possession of drugs.

What I can't understand is it is okay for police officers to deal drugs, but it is illegal for other people to do so.  I just don't get it.

Technically, the police officer sold drugs to that person, yet, the police officer and others involved do not get busted either.

I guess it's the old saying, "Do as I say, not as I do." when it comes to the law!?

And, yes, I know the criminal can still sue for getting hurt while stealing that guys bike, and personally I think it is a bunch of BS. If the guy proceeds to knowingly commit a crime, he should be able to accept any punishment/torture/death that may come with it, after all, he had a choice to steal the bike or not.  Unfortunately, the law isn't written that way, these days, the criminal has more rights than the victim.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 04:22:28 pm »
I saw a police video show like cops where they went to a bad area and put this 3000$ Mercedes mountain bike outside a building and just waited for someone to ride off on it. How is that stopping crime? If the bike wasn't left out there would be no opportunity to steal it. I have also heard of the cops selling drugs to people then busting them for possession of drugs. Who know how many bikes were stolen because the cops were watching the "bait" bike instead of a real persons bike. They are creating criminals when they do this. If you are hungry and desperate and some dumb rich asshole leaves his bike out with no lock, that's going to tempt people who normally wouldn't steal to steal, and after court they will have a record that will keep them from getting a job, encouraging more stealing.

Because if they didn't steal that bike, they'd steal a different bike and the bait and capture gets them off the streets. Would you steal a bike if it was left unattended? I wouldn't, honest people don't steal stuff no matter how easy it is to do. It doesn't matter rich or how much of an asshole the owner is, that doesn't make it ok to steal their belongings. If it were up to me I'd have bait operations like this going on 24/7 in every city. Car thieves are even worse, used to be they would hang horse thieves and I wish they'd do the same to car thieves. Stealing someone's transportation is stealing their livelihood, it's more than a simple possession.

I think you would find that very few people who get busted by those bait programs are first time offenders, and in most cases the theft is not a felony and it's not going to prevent them from finding some sort of job. Either way they should have thought of that before deciding to take a shortcut and steal something that wasn't theirs. Having been a victim of theft before myself I have zero sympathy. I worked hard for the stuff I have and it's not right for someone to take it from me just because they can.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, Richard Crowley

Offline Moondeck

• Regular Contributor
  • i really like compilers
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 04:37:03 pm »
hahaha very funny prank indeed mwahaha i have had tons of laughs and giggles thank you
pranks are always funny haha ha

I'm selling 100ml bottles of free energy, PM me for pricing.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 12:34:12 am »

Because if they didn't steal that bike, they'd steal a different bike and the bait and capture gets them off the streets. Would you steal a bike if it was left unattended? I wouldn't, honest people don't steal stuff no matter how easy it is to do. It doesn't matter rich or how much of an asshole the owner is, that doesn't make it ok to steal their belongings. If it were up to me I'd have bait operations like this going on 24/7 in every city. Car thieves are even worse, used to be they would hang horse thieves and I wish they'd do the same to car thieves. Stealing someone's transportation is stealing their livelihood, it's more than a simple possession.

I think you would find that very few people who get busted by those bait programs are first time offenders, and in most cases the theft is not a felony and it's not going to prevent them from finding some sort of job. Either way they should have thought of that before deciding to take a shortcut and steal something that wasn't theirs. Having been a victim of theft before myself I have zero sympathy. I worked hard for the stuff I have and it's not right for someone to take it from me just because they can.

I had two bicycles stolen from me, when I was a wee kid, and once again when in high school... it's a terrible feeling. :(
I too say they should bait 'em, catch 'em, and castrate 'em... :-DD
You shouldn't steal... that's the government's job...

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 09:21:49 am »
I agree with the bike thing but the police selling drugs? Please tell me that's not true, at least in the US.

Here in the UK, you don't get into much trouble for possessing illicit drugs, so long as it's only a small amount for personal use and many countries have decriminalised them, again for personal use.

Offline john_c

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 09:31:27 am »
I agree with the bike thing but the police selling drugs? Please tell me that's not true, at least in the US.

It happens a lot.

Here, this was yesterday! http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/off-duty-nypd-arrested-selling-drugs-queens-article-1.3198116

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 04:26:18 pm »

It happens a lot.

Here, this was yesterday! http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/off-duty-nypd-arrested-selling-drugs-queens-article-1.3198116
Well that doesn't surprise me but the implication was that the police were allowed to sell illicit drugs to unsuspecting people who would get into trouble for buying them.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 04:34:23 pm »
Well that doesn't surprise me but the implication was that the police were allowed to sell illicit drugs to unsuspecting people who would get into trouble for buying them.

Yes, that is common in the US:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sting_operation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf