Author Topic: Fake VOM1271 photocouplers  (Read 1961 times)

Offline JackJonesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fake VOM1271 photocouplers
« on: November 16, 2018, 07:46:48 am »
I got some VOM1271 photocouplers from aliexpress. Yes, I know, buyer beware when it comes to aliexpress, but this was from a seller I considered trustworthy. I've bought from them before, they've got 99+ rating. The price wasn't suspicious either, about €10 for 5pcs.

As it turns out they were duds. First clue was that the physical dimensions don't match. The package was white, which isn't mentioned in the datasheet but all the photos I've seen have been black. And the package should be square, not rectangular like these traditionally are.

Electrically they perform pretty oddly. The positive going waveform looks fine. But at turn off.. I have no idea what's going on there. I tested 3 separate chips, all look the same. I've attached a scope picture of the output, the light blue waveform is a TLP3906 from a reputable seller as a reference.

Naturally I opened a dispute but aliexpress decided to give only partial refund. I've had some funny decisions from them lately. Like ordering a double sided A4 copper clad, receiving a single sided A6. Partial refund. Another incident was that a seller demanded I pay them extra after I placed an order and refusing to cancel it. I sent aliexpress three messages and their reply was to ask them nicely. The seller eventually shipped the order, with a fake tracking number. At least that time I did get my money back eventually.

Just my small rant to start the day off nicely!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Fake VOM1271 photocouplers
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 07:58:06 am »
Can you use Paypal and reclaim the money that way?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 08:01:55 am »
I paid with a credit card, I don't think they even support paypal.

The refund I got was about €7, so not sure if it's worth the hassle to do a chargeback with them for just €3.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 01:03:35 pm »
As it turns out they were duds. First clue was that the physical dimensions don't match. The package was white, which isn't mentioned in the datasheet but all the photos I've seen have been black. And the package should be square, not rectangular like these traditionally are.
What picture did the seller have?

One thing I like to do with possibly-suspicious sellers is to ask them to provide actual pictures of the product for closer inspection.

A lot of them buy from someone else, and otherwise have little knowledge about what they're selling.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 01:15:46 pm »
What picture did the seller have?

I have never seen any other picture of this IC than the black square, and that is the picture the seller had too.

One thing I like to do with possibly-suspicious sellers is to ask them to provide actual pictures of the product for closer inspection.

A lot of them buy from someone else, and otherwise have little knowledge about what they're selling.

It was a dedicated electronics supplier, I have bought from them before and didn't really have a reason to be suspicious.

One thing I noticed that it took them a week to post it from marking it shipped. Possible they didn't have it in stock after all and they just bought some from the cheapest supplier?

Other thing is that this particular part doesn't seem to be available from any reputable seller, I don't know if it's been discontinued or what.

Offline jaromir

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 01:54:12 pm »
Other thing is that this particular part doesn't seem to be available from any reputable seller, I don't know if it's been discontinued or what.
Not sure if digikey is reputable enough, but they seem to have some on stock
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/vishay-semiconductor-opto-division/VOM1271T/VOM1271TCT-ND/3588699

Online schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 02:18:22 pm »
Speculation of mine based on your waveforms and the following description. Italics are mine for emphasis.

"The VOM1271T is available in a small footprint and includes an integrated active turn off circuit, to decrease MOSFET power dissipation."

So what I think you got is a device whose integrated active turn off circuit is defective, sold on the Chinese gray market anyways, and then sold to you as a legit component.

As you wisely mentioned, "Caveat Emptor" when dealing with AliExpress.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 04:05:40 pm »
So what I think you got is a device whose integrated active turn off circuit is defective, sold on the Chinese gray market anyways, and then sold to you as a legit component.

I'm still curious about the package size. The datasheet lists it as 4.42 +/- 0.25, yet what I have is ~3.5mm. If it's a fake it's a pretty bad one. Then again, I've received MCP6002 opamps that weren't rail to rail so I guess you can expect anything.

I'm not really bummed out about receiving fakes, mostly it's aliexpresse's response to this. Only a partial refund for an obvious case like this, I will really have to consider twice before trusting them anymore.

Not sure if digikey is reputable enough, but they seem to have some on stock
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/vishay-semiconductor-opto-division/VOM1271T/VOM1271TCT-ND/3588699

Oops, didn't check digikey! But it does seem to be out of stock on many sellers.

Offline jaromir

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 05:15:25 pm »
Yes, for example mouser has empty stock with indicated lead time 57 weeks, similar with farnell. Unfortunately, this isn't uncommon in last one-two years. Components are simply disappearing for many months, just to reappear later. Often with increased price.
So, buy the parts - as many you can consume in 2019 - at digikey while you can.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 10:34:31 pm »
I see your photo on alix, the silkscreen clearly doesn't match other legit parts and doesn't match the drawing in the datasheet (no space between V and 503).
There are other sellers with good reviews, so you might try your luck with them. I would probably trust a particular part from a particular seller, but not the seller themselves, due to the amount of dropshipping/etc involved, unless they are a part manufacturer.

I'm also disappointed with disputes lately, not sure if its due to the number of disputes I have reached or a general rule for them to be tougher on arbitration. Its likely they are dealing with a lot of false/perceived false disputes, for customers to scam free parts. I always get asked to provide "video evidence", as they know this takes more effort than a photo.
Also I had a seller be verbally abusive to me, and they did nothing, I suspect they don't even read the comments sometimes.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf