Author Topic: Fedex national service disruption alert  (Read 1806 times)

Online BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Fedex national service disruption alert
« on: February 20, 2019, 04:50:58 pm »
Fedex has posted a "National service disruption alert". What the hell is going on in Memphis? My Digikey package stuck there.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
Re: Fedex national service disruption alert
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 05:06:24 pm »
"FedEx Express experienced substantial disruptions at the Memphis hub last night due to thunderstorms."

Online BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 06:00:11 pm »
Did they get flooded of what... never seen anything like that.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 07:54:50 pm »
Thunderstorms are dangerous and if they had to issue a halt in operations that will throw things off for a day and sometimes more.  Sucks when you're waiting for something.

Brian

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 08:07:18 pm »
Did they get flooded of what... never seen anything like that.
As minimum, cancelled/delayed flights will follow with a chain reaction. They have pretty tight schedule to allow timely delivery. If package gets delayed for a few hours in one place, likely it will be delayed by a whole day in total because it will miss next flight.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 08:09:24 pm »

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 04:51:08 am »
I ordered some stuff from Newegg on Monday and it got to me on Tuesday through Fedex.  But the order I placed from Newegg this morning is held up by Fedex because of the storm which is the first time I've had that happen.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 04:54:38 am »
It mostly comes down to flights, flying aircraft through thunderstorms is extremely dangerous, there can be turbulence like you wouldn't believe, enough to damage the airframe. There have been a number of airliner crashes caused by flying through storms causing rapid altitude loss too close to the ground too.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 06:41:42 am »
Disruptions to shipping operations are common, they happen almost every week all around the world. Mostly due to adverse whether conditions preventing aircraft from either taking off or landing safely, or having to divert to an alternate destination. A lot of these operators process a huge amount of shipments daily at very tight schedules and even short disruptions can cause significant backlogs.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 02:49:12 am »
I was supposed to receive a FedEx package today but no joy -- I wonder if they'll do Saturday delivery.  Latest update shows it's arrived at my locations center so maybe tomorrow. 

Brian

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 03:04:14 am »
Disruptions to shipping operations are common, they happen almost every week all around the world. Mostly due to adverse whether conditions preventing aircraft from either taking off or landing safely, or having to divert to an alternate destination. A lot of these operators process a huge amount of shipments daily at very tight schedules and even short disruptions can cause significant backlogs.

We had an issue in Oz only this week - Train Derailment https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates/perth-train-derailment

My recent shipment of a HP419A from the USA got held due to a recent weather issue for a few extra days getting to Erlanger and then a longer stop just because of evilbay Global Fright :horse:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 07:32:41 am »
I received a package today from Korea that was shipped Wednesday night/Thursday morning my time and arrived before noon on Friday. Korea to Alaska to Memphis to Vancouver Canada(and it cleared customs). Total transit time less then 36 hours. Delivery standard was actually another 2 days, but I guess all the planes aligned. Amazing how fast it can be when everything comes together without any delays.
VE7FM

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 11:26:40 am »
Indeed, I have seen shipments from China to Portland Oregon faster (5-7 days) than from Silicon Valley just a few hundred miles south.  OTOH, it is more often that stuff from China is 1-2 months, and several times simply disappears in shipment with no explanation or responsibility. IME shipment from Asia is remarkably unpredictable to the point of unreliable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf