Author Topic: Feminist Professor Thinks "Rigor" is Evil  (Read 45663 times)

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
Re: Feminist Professor Thinks "Rigor" is Evil
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2018, 06:29:23 pm »
I will here declare my attempt to try wreck this thread! I dink milk, sleep in white sheets and skii on white snow
i also use white sugar in my cup of Lipton tee, and may i also mention i have white teeth's.(well some have black holes).

It’s not a new relationship. Instead, it dates back approximately 100 years. In the 1920s, a pamphlet from the U.S. National Dairy Council explained: “The people who have used liberal amounts of milk and its products … ” — meaning white people — “… are progressive in science and every activity of the human intellect.”

http://theconversation.com/milk-a-symbol-of-neo-nazi-hate-83292

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/assessment/2004/06/milk.html

https://www.dailywire.com/news/14492/college-student-explains-why-milk-racist-elliott-hamilton

http://www.daily49er.com/opinion/2017/03/13/milk-new-symbol-of-hate/

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:13:25 pm by MT »

The following users thanked this post: klaff

Offline klaff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2018, 06:30:37 pm »
I didn't set up any strawmen. Those are all straight from the video. I'm just asking for that rigor that people seem so fond of.

So you don't actually have an actual argument to put forward then? You're just going to adopt a passive aggressive contrarian stance?

Ah, you got me. I have no arguments to put forward. I resign in shame.

The following users thanked this post: Vgkid, GeorgeOfTheJungle

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2018, 06:57:00 pm »
Man, and I have to go in 25 minutes...

I disagree. These biases come from our culture, and we can change our culture, but only if we want to.

These biases are opinions, held by individuals. Nobody can force someone else to change their opinion. My culture is something specific to me, something that someone will have to socially torture and abuse me to take away.

Why should anyone take inequality and injustice sitting down? And please tell me what "strict, often unfair policies" she is introducing? Be specific. What is she doing to restrict your opinion or your expression of it?

At the core, the states she dislikes the concept of rigorous Engineering, and maybe even the word Rigor. She is stating that an art and skill that I love and wish to master should be irreversibly changed because it requires a large amount of effort to perfect. Nobody should take inequality and injustice sitting down, but my point is that this isn't inequality or injustice on a reparable level. It's innate, and in our modern day, minor opinions held by individuals.

What do you mean by that, specifically "the balancing act of fair treatment"?

I am stating that so long as whatever is done, if it's what I specifically want to be done or not, I am alright with it so long as it doesn't switch the problem around on me. I never discriminated against anyone, and I don't think it's fair that I might have to be punished for the crimes of people that just happened to be the same colour or gender as I. It would be becoming the monster I seek to defeat, and is the core of my egalitarian beliefs.

What solution would be damaging to whom?
Where is Professor Riley trying to make anything illegal? Is she campaigning to repeal the 1st Amendment? I must have missed that part. And what the hell is wrongthink? Why would you want to be wrong?

Wrongthink is a reference to George Orwell's 1984. It's the concept of an opinion that is innately wrong regardless of debate, solely because it opposes a specific narrative. Keep in mind, I am trying to speak more in general to situations like this, but in this case, she is trying to put drastic action (possibly completely rewriting the field of engineering) into a non-issue (the fact that engineering is a rigorous and time consuming study).

Who is they? I thought you were criticizing Professor Riley?
I didn't hear Riley talk about the pure and right side of history. Who or what are you talking about?

I am criticizing Riley, as well as every other SJW out there. They campaign about how they are fighting inequality in our civilization, and how their opinions are the sole opinions to a brighter tomorrow. They act as if someone who disagrees with them must be a monster, because no good person would try to argue against what is so obviously freedom.

What wholesome values were quietly reclassified as ugly prejudices? Be specific.

The idea that anybody with any idea may just very well have a valid opinion?

What speech has made you a criminal? Again, be specific. Include the relevant statutes, regulations, etc.

There are more than one types of criminal. I think what he is referring to is thought crime (same thing as wrongthink). Anything that goes against someone else's narrative.

Who's going to exclude you for using the wrong pronoun? I know I"m being repetitive, but be specific.

I know many places where if I were to walk in, and intentionally call a few specific peoples by an assumed or wrong pronoun, I would be immediately kicked out of the building, if not banned from the group or organization. It's happened before.

Your presence is no longer required? Who is planning to remove anyone from society? (Yes, be specific.)

This was somewhat of a metaphor on his part. He was stating that a lot of arguments made, a lot of ideas presented, in fact exactly like the one Riley has made, seeks to kick out people who hold traditional values on Engineering, like the idea of putting effort into your work.

Who's telling you you can't speak? I'm arguing with you, sure. I'm exercising MY RIGHT to free speech. But I'm not saying you can't speak.

Again, there are people who have blocked me, reported me, tried to get me banned off websites because my opinions didn't match theirs, and they couldn't handle the fact that I presented rational arguments and they didn't.

Who believes that hurting someone's feelings is on par with cracking a skull? (BE SPECIFIC! WHERE DID ANYONE SAY THIS?)

Besides the classic "Misgendering someone is violence", find it yourself, I have to go in like 7 minutes, I have known people who have taken mundane things as personal insults  that requires instant removal of my personal life from this world.

What petititions are circulating to shut you up or down? Or anybody?

Have you been to change.org recently?

What law protects feelings?

Social law. Break it and it may be even worse than going to prison.

Were you banned from social media? And is someone actually purging dangerous fascist throwbacks from society? (BE SPECIFIC!)

I've had minor suspensions for saying something, but I know people who have been banned off the platform simply for taking a somewhat unpopular opinion.

Now I've got to go, feel free to make a v2 and I will ping it right back.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline klaff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2018, 07:22:21 pm »
These biases are opinions, held by individuals.
Biases aren't necessarily opinions, especially implicit biases. You may be completely unaware of them.

She is stating that an art and skill that I love and wish to master should be irreversibly changed because it requires a large amount of effort to perfect.
That is not what she said.  Her interview is here:

I never discriminated against anyone, and I don't think it's fair that I might have to be punished for the crimes of people that just happened to be the same colour.
Who is advocating punishing you? How do they want to punish you?

... she is trying to put drastic action (possibly completely rewriting the field of engineering)
Again, that's not what she said.

I am criticizing Riley, as well as every other SJW out there. They campaign about how they are fighting inequality in our civilization, and how their opinions are the sole opinions to a brighter tomorrow. They act as if someone who disagrees with them must be a monster, because no good person would try to argue against what is so obviously freedom.
Show me one saying their opinion is the sole opinion.
Show me one saying anyone who disagrees is a monster.

The idea that anybody with any idea may just very well have a valid opinion?
Really? Show me the campaign to turn "anybody with any idea may just very well have a valid opinion" into ugly prejudice.

There are more than one types of criminal. I think what he is referring to is thought crime (same thing as wrongthink). Anything that goes against someone else's narrative.
So the type of criminality you're referring to here is the type that is not actually a crime?

I know many places where if I were to walk in, and intentionally call a few specific peoples by an assumed or wrong pronoun, I would be immediately kicked out of the building, if not banned from the group or organization. It's happened before.
Name the place or organization.

This was somewhat of a metaphor on his part. He was stating that a lot of arguments made, a lot of ideas presented, in fact exactly like the one Riley has made, seeks to kick out people who hold traditional values on Engineering, like the idea of putting effort into your work.
BUT SHE'S NOT KICKING ANYONE OUT!

Again, there are people who have blocked me, reported me, tried to get me banned off websites because my opinions didn't match theirs, and they couldn't handle the fact that I presented rational arguments and they didn't.
"They" sure seem to be out to get you. Maybe it's you?

Besides the classic "Misgendering someone is violence", find it yourself, I have to go in like 7 minutes, I have known people who have taken mundane things as personal insults  that requires instant removal of my personal life from this world.
Someone tried to kill you for a personal insult? Wow.

Have you been to change.org recently?
No, but I'm not doing your research for you.

Social law. Break it and it may be even worse than going to prison.
Social law. Right. So, not a law. And I got to ask, worse than prison how???

I've had minor suspensions for saying something, but I know people who have been banned off the platform simply for taking a somewhat unpopular opinion.
I can only guess what that means.

The following users thanked this post: Dubbie

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2018, 07:30:14 pm »
These biases are opinions, held by individuals.
Biases aren't necessarily opinions, especially implicit biases. You may be completely unaware of them.
a lot of words, blah, blah
I can only guess what that means.
You should be so butthurt and have so much free time to write all of these posts. I guess you are not of a type who's time is occupied by doing a lot of work or occupied with hobby when you have a free time. Exactly someone from a "better" world this professor wants to create.

Offline klaff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2018, 07:42:17 pm »
You should be so butthurt and have so much free time to write all of these posts. I guess you are not of a type who's time is occupied by doing a lot of work or occupied with hobby when you have a free time. Exactly someone from a "better" world this professor wants to create.

You post about 30 times as often as I do. Good ad hominem example BTW.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2018, 07:46:02 pm »

My posts are way shorter and mostly about electronics, not SJW whines.

Offline klaff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2018, 07:57:48 pm »

My posts are way shorter and mostly about electronics, not SJW whines.
If electronics issues are more important than issues of social justice, why did you post in this thread three times?

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2018, 08:02:12 pm »
If anybody thinks that all these kind the people are going to improve the society.  Forget you. All kind the activists(anti-systems, feminist and anti-facist) their main goal is destroy the actual system by any method. Their leaders(90%) don't come from marginal neighbourhood or guettos else the well-off families where they went to private schools.
Evidences: I only know the situation from Spain where determined activists and politicians anti-systems have hidden millionaries properties, business and prestiges private schools from Europe.
The last case is a  anti-capitalist,feminist and anti-system exparlamentary  ran away to Ginebra(Switzerland)and she hasn't plan return.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, daqq, wraper, GeorgeOfTheJungle, Ampera, Addicted2AnalogTek

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2018, 08:23:03 pm »
If electronics issues are more important than issues of social justice, why did you post in this thread three times?
Why in the last 220 days, every of your post except two which are very short is super long pro SJW post?

Offline klaff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2018, 08:30:21 pm »
Why in the last 220 days, every of your post except two which are very short is super long pro SJW post?
Funny but your data is wrong. You are showing a marked lack of rigor in your post.
Where's all the rigor? Why can't people who whine about rigor get any specifics right?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2018, 08:37:23 pm »
Funny but your data is wrong. You are showing a marked lack of rigor in your post.
Where's all the rigor? Why can't people who whine about rigor get any specifics right?
Really? Look on your posts in your profile. You made 2 very short posts since July 18, and then today a bunch of posts in this tread which are long as never before. Seems this tread is attractive like shit for flies.

The following users thanked this post: Addicted2AnalogTek

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2018, 08:42:00 pm »
Oh, the irony. This white guy is exactly the kind of engineer who does well in his job despite admittedly poor grades in a technical discipline because of good communication skills and "deomonstration of creativity" and his certification in Sigma 6, a soft science of production and proofing concepts based pretty much on real world hindsight, which require no mastery of higher science or math. If he were an ethnic female, he would be this professor's poster child.

There is a real need for managers to coordinate more technical workers. Managers who do not necessarily need to be proficient in the more technical aspects of engineering, but who need just some basic overall understanding and be good at communication. It would be nice if some women or ethnic minorities could have some of these jobs, too. These are the jobs that this professor is probably talking about. The hard technical stuff... if you can do it, you get the job. But these other positions? Does he not realize that being a white male was, perhaps, one of the factors which led him to have 4 job offers despite poor grades? His only validation and place of self worth is that he actually happened to land a good job. One, which under other cultural environment might be equally performed by other engineers who are also mediocre at engineering.

This certification is not a college degree. It's a piece of paper that he got probably while on the job.... the job that he got because he is a white male who can talk well enough to convince other people he knows what he's understands the words that he is stringing together. He is so full of himself, the shit is leaking through his pores.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:13:44 pm by KL27x »

Offline klaff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2018, 08:56:07 pm »
Really? Look on your posts in your profile. You made 2 very short posts since July 18, and then today a bunch of posts in this tread which are long as never before. Seems this tread is attractive like shit for flies.
Yes, really. You're being rather selective. Why since July 18? I've made around 40 posts in the last year, and about 10 of them in this thread today. But what difference does that make? Is there a rule against longer posts? What if my only posts were on this topic? Irrelevant. You lack rigor.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2018, 09:07:40 pm »
Yes, really. You're being rather selective. Why since July 18? I've made around 40 posts in the last year, and about 10 of them in this thread today. But what difference does that make? Is there a rule against longer posts? What if my only posts were on this topic? Irrelevant. You lack rigor.
What I said in the beginning is that you are butthurt. Why otherwise you would write as many words as anything previous combined together, after basically abandoning the forum. Moreover in a tread which is not directly electronics related and on the electronics forum. I would guess you made a ton of posts somewhere else until this rare opportunity came by.

Offline klaff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2018, 09:12:01 pm »
What I said in the beginning is that you are butthurt. Why otherwise you would write as many words as anything previous combined together, after basically abandoning the forum. Moreover in a tread which is not directly electronics related and on the electronics forum. I would guess you made a ton of posts somewhere else until this rare opportunity came by.
I suppose that means I care about this topic. Why does that bother you so much?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2018, 09:16:11 pm »
I suppose that means I care about this topic. Why does that bother you so much?
Because you spam it with long unreadable posts.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2018, 09:19:38 pm »
Can anyone explain to me what value Riley’s ideologies add to an engineer’s education?

Can engineers expect a better chance of getting a job, or a better career from it, and if so how?

The only “value add” I see that she offers right now is divisiveness, as evidenced in this very thread.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2018, 09:29:43 pm »
Oh, the irony. This white guy is exactly the kind of engineer who does well in his job despite admittedly poor grades in a technical discipline because of good communication skills and "deomonstration of creativity" and his certification in Sigma 6, a soft science of production and proofing concepts based pretty much on real world hindsight, which require no mastery of higher science or math. If he were an ethnic female, he would be this professor's poster child.
If you are a white male in US, then your kind is heavily underrepresented on engineering or software jobs compared to percentage of whites in population generally.
which require no mastery of higher science or math
He said that being able solving complex problems helped him a lot. BTW poor grades does not mean lack of knowledge.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:33:25 pm by wraper »

Offline klaff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2018, 09:34:34 pm »
Can anyone explain to me what value Riley’s ideologies add to an engineer’s education?
Adding a social justice dimension to the education helps in making one aware of the impact your profession has on the world at large. Are your design choices good for the environment? The patient? Are you creating an addictive product? Does it kill people or save lives? Does it reduce pain? Bring people together? More concretely, think products like VW "Clean Diesel", Monsanto's dicamba, or Facebook and Twitter. It's encouraging one to think beyond the assignment, beyond profit.

Can engineers expect a better chance of getting a job, or a better career from it, and if so how?
I doubt it would help anyone get a better salary. Thinking of others doesn't seem to pay well. It might help one choose a path with which they can sleep better.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2018, 09:38:01 pm »
Not to enter too much into the newfangled gender biasing and identity politics zeitgeist, I will take the rigorously designed and tested aircraft on my next trip, please. For my road trips I will also take rigorously tested and designed airbags, ABS brake system, engine, door locks, car seats for my kids, lockstep processors among others...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline klaff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2018, 09:49:34 pm »
If you are a white male in US, then your kind is heavily underrepresented on engineering or software jobs compared to percentage of whites in population generally.
My kind? My kind is a larger group than white males, but aside from that you are wrong.

68% of computer occupations held by whites. 75% of engineering held by whites. The U.S. as a whole is 74% white. No "heavily underrepresented" there.

Women, though hold 27% and 13% of those fields. If anyone is heavily underrepresented in software and engineering it is women and people of color.

Source: https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acs-24.pdf

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2018, 09:52:23 pm »
Remove the "male" part, and you are maybe accurate. The fact that whites may be underrepresented in engineering is not due to culture or discrimination, just average ability in hard science. So, meh.

White males are probably overrepresented in senior engineering and engineering management positions. The positions where you don't need to actually need this proficiency.

The professor might have talked a lot of nonsense. But this dude took it as a contest to show her he's an even bigger idiot.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2018, 10:00:04 pm »
She is stating that an art and skill that I love and wish to master should be irreversibly changed because it requires a large amount of effort to perfect.
That is not what she said.  Her interview is here:
She is drawing a long bow trying to link the "possibility" of rigour being an impediment to a diverse group of students. Yes the work is time consuming and difficult, it shouldn't be watered down so that people without the time to commit to it can "achieve" the same qualification, if you have less time/ability available there are lesser programs in Engineering for those people who want to achieve less.

Its not a simple matter of removing the difficult maths and solving the problems with less, for instance you can't ignore fatigue in many structures. Yes you could apply a large derating factor as has been found from experimental results (as engineering historically did) or you could apply modern knowledge and skills to deliver a solution which is cheaper and safer. The metric of success is usually well defined and trying to say engineering is simply about applying the most difficult maths is a vast over simplification, so discounting rigour outright on this premise is fundamentally flawed.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2018, 10:01:18 pm »
Adding a social justice dimension to the education helps in making one aware of the impact your profession has on the world at large. Are your design choices good for the environment? The patient? Are you creating an addictive product? Does it kill people or save lives? Does it reduce pain? Bring people together? More concretely, think products like VW "Clean Diesel", Monsanto's dicamba, or Facebook and Twitter. It's encouraging one to think beyond the assignment, beyond profit.

Thanks for your explanation, but I am pretty darned sure the vast majority of engineers, certainly all I know, don’t need someone such as Riley to know right from wrong. What is missing has nothing to do with Riley’s ideology and everything to do with trustworthy whistleblowing policies.

In addition, I don’t see any evidence that Riley is particularly interested in any of that, she seems to be far more interested in pushing her ideological agenda, and it’s most certainly not “bringing people together”, quite the opposite.

I doubt it would help anyone get a better salary. Thinking of others doesn't seem to pay well. It might help one choose a path with which they can sleep better.

I agree, but I doubt the divisive words of Riley make anyone sleep better at night, quite the opposite in fact.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf