Author Topic: Genesys system for TX-2 - MIT's Lincoln Laboratory 1967  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Genesys system for TX-2 - MIT's Lincoln Laboratory 1967
« on: July 15, 2018, 06:34:17 pm »

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: Genesys system for TX-2 - MIT's Lincoln Laboratory 1967
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 04:41:16 pm »
You would be surprised how much work went on at MIT Lincoln Lab, they were the people responsible for inventing inertial guidance and then later on applying this work in the Apollo guidance computer.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • I like vacuum tubes. Electrons exist, holes don't.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 04:59:49 pm »
You would be surprised how much work went on at MIT Lincoln Lab, they were the people responsible for inventing inertial guidance and then later on applying this work in the Apollo guidance computer.

As a German EE, do you not know that was done on the V-2?

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 06:45:20 pm »
OK, if we want to be pedantic about this, Von Braun and his scientists came up with the first INS towards the end of WWII. It was however amazingly innacurate and certainly not good enough for point to point navigation. On the first flight of the Lincoln Labs instrument they managed to fly across the continental USA and their error on arrival was only 150m.

I would not want to go to the moon using a Von Braun system for navigation.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf