Author Topic: FIFA World CUP 2018 - Who will win?  (Read 9710 times)

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
FIFA World CUP 2018 - Who will win?
« on: June 06, 2018, 10:29:40 am »
So who will win? I bet Argentina. I think Messi and the others deserves it.

So sad that Italy and Netherland are out... I think my country need at least 8 years to build up a reasonable team again.

Let's see what will happen, I am expecting a lot of surprises.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:59:50 am by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
Re: FIFA World CUP 2018 - Who will win?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 10:52:12 am »
Columbia in a Columbia/Iceland final.  :)

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 02:37:10 pm »
Columbia in a Columbia/Iceland final.  :)

Never heard of the country Columbia  :horse:

Offline rt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 03:53:56 pm »
Russia
Until proven otherwise, all TED talk presenters should be considered as charismatic charlatans.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 05:03:43 pm »
Of course I meant Coulombia; they always draw a Capacity crowd...

Colombia  :-+

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 12:05:48 pm »
Japan to me won the FIFA World CUP 2018

Respect. I have a lot to learn from them.

A big hug to all the japanese EE here.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: blueskull, jpanhalt, 2N3055

Offline D-Jack

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 12:13:29 pm »
Not Portugal  :'(

I think Belgium, France and Brazil are the biggest contenders, but we shall see.

Offline RobK_NL

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 06:58:57 pm »
Who cares ...?
Tell us what problem you want to solve, not what solution you're having problems with

The following users thanked this post: james_s, bd139

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 09:09:48 pm »
Russia
Because they are drugging all the other teams. Reverse doping.  :-DD
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 11:04:40 pm »
Who cares ...?

I agree.  However, I feel that way about all professional sports.  I think that it is shameful what professional athletes earn to throw/catch/kick a ball around while people who truly make a difference in peoples' lives don't earn a fraction.  Add trying for force their politics down our throat--wait, that is only the National Football League.  I can't be arsed to watch any professional sports or sports in general.  That is, except curling during the winter Olympics.  Curling fascinates me for some oddball reason. 
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline D-Jack

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 12:42:02 am »
Who cares ...?

I agree.  However, I feel that way about all professional sports.  I think that it is shameful what professional athletes earn to throw/catch/kick a ball around while people who truly make a difference in peoples' lives don't earn a fraction.  Add trying for force their politics down our throat--wait, that is only the National Football League.  I can't be arsed to watch any professional sports or sports in general.  That is, except curling during the winter Olympics.  Curling fascinates me for some oddball reason.

Yeah you guys are living some weird times over there. And it's creeping over here to europe. At least here in Portugal I haven't seen any craziness, yet.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 01:22:29 am »
Being Brazilian I am obviously rooting for Brasil but, given the current state of affairs in the country, I am very torn as such championship will only amplify the "panis et circensis" and make people forget the "sea of mud" of corruption there (former president and his staff were arrested since a few months ago but corrupt judges in the supreme court are putting strong pressure to release all of them).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline D-Jack

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 01:48:48 am »
Being Brazilian I am obviously rooting for Brasil but, given the current state of affairs in the country, I am very torn as such championship will only amplify the "panis et circensis" and make people forget the "sea of mud" of corruption there (former president and his staff were arrested since a few months ago but corrupt judges in the supreme court are putting strong pressure to release all of them).

Ya the good old "pão e circo" never fails. And it seems that wherever you turn, there's a corrupt person. And I mean stupid corrupt, like they could at least improve the lives of the people while at it. Instead they completely suck them dry and toy with them

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 02:34:21 am »
I agree.  However, I feel that way about all professional sports.  I think that it is shameful what professional athletes earn to throw/catch/kick a ball around while people who truly make a difference in peoples' lives don't earn a fraction.

I find this so weird.

At least a footballer's performance can be measured and judged relatively objectively. They're paid what they are worth to their employers. When CEOs can run businesses into the ground to be rewarded with golden parachutes and a bunch of board memberships, or when a disgraced politician gets some job at an international organization courtesy of taxpayers I find it infinitely more obnoxious. Professional sports income doesn't phase me, it's too low on the totem pole of excesses. Fix crony-capitalism first, then I might care about the excesses of capitalism.

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just an IT monkey with a DSO
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 01:32:36 pm »
Ya the good old "pão e circo" never fails. And it seems that wherever you turn, there's a corrupt person. And I mean stupid corrupt, like they could at least improve the lives of the people while at it. Instead they completely suck them dry and toy with them
I agree that's a stupid corruption, but with all due respect, that kind of thinking is a stab for me. It's one of the main pillars for latin america populism. "They steal but they do" (I hate that). On the other hand, most people is aware of "panis et circensis" but they need some kind of temporaly escape from reality.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:09:40 pm by HoracioDos »

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 01:45:04 pm »
I was rooting for some African team.
Many of their players are excellent and play in European teams.

However for some reason, as a national team, they have not been able to capitalize on that experience.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 01:45:25 pm »
I agree.  However, I feel that way about all professional sports.  I think that it is shameful what professional athletes earn to throw/catch/kick a ball around while people who truly make a difference in peoples' lives don't earn a fraction.

I find this so weird.

At least a footballer's performance can be measured and judged relatively objectively. They're paid what they are worth to their employers. When CEOs can run businesses into the ground to be rewarded with golden parachutes and a bunch of board memberships, or when a disgraced politician gets some job at an international organization courtesy of taxpayers I find it infinitely more obnoxious. Professional sports income doesn't phase me, it's too low on the totem pole of excesses. Fix crony-capitalism first, then I might care about the excesses of capitalism.

This can be extended to artists, musicians, etc. I tend to look at this differently: nobody pays someone more than what they can bring in return.

To me this happens because people nowadays put a lot of value in their emotions. This may have been provoked by a flawed system (if people were trained or conditioned to think like that) or it naturally occurred as people meet their bare necessities in life and become more attracted to subjective traits.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 01:49:07 pm »
France

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 01:57:17 pm »
I was rooting for some African team.
I like Nigeria very much. I hope that no countrymen is reading this right now. They are excellent athletes and they make us run like hell.
I always wonder what will happen when at least a significant percent of people in USA, China, Russia or India begins to play football and it becomes a very mature business there. I think that demography will define the cup in the future.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 02:04:49 pm »
I enjoyed watching Nigeria and Senegal.
I was struck by how much narrower the gap is between the so-called "best" and "worst" teams in the Group Stages, compared to, say, 20 years ago.

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 02:09:36 pm »
I was struck by how much narrower the gap is between the so-called "best" and "worst" teams in the Group Stages, compared to, say, 20 years ago.
Yes, I would call it globalization.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 02:13:41 pm »
nobody pays someone more than what they can bring in return.

Only in a transparent market.

There is almost no room for quid pro quo based on friends, family, class, ethnic or religious ties in professional sports. In large companies and politics so much more.

Offline luiHS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 02:24:24 pm »

Unfortunately, the team with the most possibilities, because it is the one that has proven to be the most powerful, is that of France. I say unfortunately, because I have never liked France, although Holland is worse for its extremely hard game.

The final will probably be France-Brazil or France-Croatia. Uruguay could have chances, but with Cavani injured, it is unlikely that they will reach the final.

I would have liked to see Germany in the final, and of course Spain too, but both have offered very poor results, they will need to completely renew their team.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 02:45:47 pm »
Hard play ? Please elaborate. We play for keeps which each decent team should do.

Some players are acting clowns, dropping screaming to the ground while there was even no or minimal contact, Neymar comes to mind, those are the worst kind of soccerplayers.

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 04:24:24 pm »
France

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf