Author Topic: FIFA World CUP 2018 - Who will win?  (Read 9707 times)

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
Re: FIFA World CUP 2018 - Who will win?
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2018, 04:27:12 pm »

Unfortunately, the team with the most possibilities, because it is the one that has proven to be the most powerful, is that of France. I say unfortunately, because I have never liked France, although Holland is worse for its extremely hard game.

The final will probably be France-Brazil or France-Croatia. Uruguay could have chances, but with Cavani injured, it is unlikely that they will reach the final.

I would have liked to see Germany in the final, and of course Spain too, but both have offered very poor results, they will need to completely renew their team.

Can't be a France-Brazil final as they are on the same side of bracket. Very likely for the semi-final though

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 04:45:25 pm »
Whoever wins the Brazil - Belgium game...

The following users thanked this post: Koen

Offline D-Jack

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 05:41:38 pm »
Ya the good old "pão e circo" never fails. And it seems that wherever you turn, there's a corrupt person. And I mean stupid corrupt, like they could at least improve the lives of the people while at it. Instead they completely suck them dry and toy with them
I agree that's a stupid corruption, but with all due respect, that kind of thinking is a stab for me. It's one of the main pillars for latin america populism. "They steal but they do". On the other hand, most people is aware of "panis et circensis" but they need some kind of temporaly escape from reality.

Yes I totally get where you're coming from. The system seems so powerful and omnipotent that looks unbreakable, so one can only find solace in entertainment.

I live in Portugal but I'm actually Cape verdean, and although Cape Verde is not "very corrupt" because we don't have natural resources, I can still watch shameless and disgraceful displays of corruption in many neighbor countries and it's just like you said.

Offline D-Jack

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 05:44:10 pm »
After today I'm getting the vibe that France will be the winner. Let's see how Brasil will fare against Belgium

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 07:29:00 pm »
I agree.  However, I feel that way about all professional sports.  I think that it is shameful what professional athletes earn to throw/catch/kick a ball around while people who truly make a difference in peoples' lives don't earn a fraction.

I find this so weird.

At least a footballer's performance can be measured and judged relatively objectively. They're paid what they are worth to their employers. When CEOs can run businesses into the ground to be rewarded with golden parachutes and a bunch of board memberships, or when a disgraced politician gets some job at an international organization courtesy of taxpayers I find it infinitely more obnoxious. Professional sports income doesn't phase me, it's too low on the totem pole of excesses. Fix crony-capitalism first, then I might care about the excesses of capitalism.

This can be extended to artists, musicians, etc. I tend to look at this differently: nobody pays someone more than what they can bring in return.

To me this happens because people nowadays put a lot of value in their emotions. This may have been provoked by a flawed system (if people were trained or conditioned to think like that) or it naturally occurred as people meet their bare necessities in life and become more attracted to subjective traits.

I find football fanatics funny.  Things they say like 'my team'.  It isn't your team, you don't own it.  Or 'we did'.  You did nothing-you are not part of the team, they are siphoning your time and hard earned disposable income.  There is also a big difference between spending spending a few bucks for downloads from iTunes that I own forever and paying $100 plus for a seat at a football game that lasts a couple of hours.  I speak with my wallet.  I don't watch professional sports, don't go to games and I don't watch 'network' television.  I have no sports memorabilia-with an embarrassing exception.  My mother-in-law gave me a NASCAR Barbie in the original package because she saw that part of my displayed die-cast car collection was NASCAR. |O

The salaries that CEOs get are also shameful.  Those in the trenches that make things happen are the ones who should be earning real money, not the executive board.  Granted, they provide the direction-good or bad but all the lowly peons (like me) who work their butts off behind the scenes or are the face of the company to the customers and keeping them happy should be getting a bigger slice of the pie.  No one should have a Golden Parachute, especially if they are a screw up.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Koen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 08:14:39 pm »
Hey, I'm replying to this thread to let you all know I am completely uninterested by it and here's why in twelve sentences.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, MT

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 08:18:25 pm »
I think Sweden will beat England. England struggled in their last game.

As to iTunes, hard to imagine a more stupid and imbecilic piece of software.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline D-Jack

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 08:22:52 pm »
The salaries that CEOs get are also shameful.  Those in the trenches that make things happen are the ones who should be earning real money, not the executive board.  Granted, they provide the direction-good or bad but all the lowly peons (like me) who work their butts off behind the scenes or are the face of the company to the customers and keeping them happy should be getting a bigger slice of the pie.  No one should have a Golden Parachute, especially if they are a screw up.

A few years ago I would agree with you, but now not so much. I had the opportunity to work with a massive contract manufacturer (a believe they're the second largest behind foxconn) and man, the schedule and responsibility that the person in charge of our product was insane! (we were negotiating with them to mass produce a product). He didn't get any break, not even on lunch hours! And he was just the manager the project. The CEO's schedule is orders of magnitude worst than this and not to mention that they will take the fall whenever things go wrong. I do agree with you that some CEO's salaries doesn't correlate with their efforts on the company in terms of decisions but for the majority is not that unreasonable.

Offline D-Jack

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 08:24:48 pm »
Hey, I'm replying to this thread to let you all know I am completely uninterested by it and here's why in twelve sentences.

Loool awesome  ;D

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2018, 08:50:39 pm »
Of course I meant Coulombia; they always draw a Capacity crowd...

Colombia  :-+
They played really dirty though, so they deserved to lose. Had they played more cleanly, they might have won, since they wouldn't have conceded a penalty, but it still might have ended up in a shoot-out, as there wouldn't have been the extra stoppage time, in which they scored a goal.

Football is one of the only sports I can watch, without falling asleep. I would probably take more interest in it, if it wasn't for the big egos and foul play, which is disgusting.

I agree, but I'm glad England got so far. They've been really shit for a long time. England should perform respectably in international sporting events.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 02:56:21 pm »
England

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2018, 03:07:09 pm »
I don't really know much about this 'FIFA' lark, but it sounds like the sort of thing that we should have a go at winning. I understand we invented it or something.

It sounds like the sort of thing that would be jolly good for national pride.  :) ;)

EDIT: Oh, good show!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 03:59:54 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Dataforensics

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2018, 03:30:43 pm »
Did not even know it was on until a few days ago.
People in London give me strange looks when I state to not following football.
My DNA must be odd.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2018, 03:44:03 pm »
I have this feeling, that Russia is going to win this one.

But i am a terrible forecaster.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2018, 03:55:56 pm »
Russia

Hey, I wasn't aware that "Russia Today" has an official account on this forum.
I thought you guys do broadcasts only?  :P

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2018, 04:00:56 pm »
Whoever wins the Brazil - Belgium game...

I think I'll just stick to this  8)

The following users thanked this post: Koen

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2018, 08:43:52 pm »
I've just been watching the Russia vs Croatia game. I hope Russia don't win because I don't want England to have to play them and the fans get beaten up by their hooligans!

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2018, 10:13:02 pm »
I agree.  However, I feel that way about all professional sports.  I think that it is shameful what professional athletes earn to throw/catch/kick a ball around while people who truly make a difference in peoples' lives don't earn a fraction.

I find this so weird.

At least a footballer's performance can be measured and judged relatively objectively. They're paid what they are worth to their employers. When CEOs can run businesses into the ground to be rewarded with golden parachutes and a bunch of board memberships, or when a disgraced politician gets some job at an international organization courtesy of taxpayers I find it infinitely more obnoxious. Professional sports income doesn't phase me, it's too low on the totem pole of excesses. Fix crony-capitalism first, then I might care about the excesses of capitalism.

This can be extended to artists, musicians, etc. I tend to look at this differently: nobody pays someone more than what they can bring in return.

To me this happens because people nowadays put a lot of value in their emotions. This may have been provoked by a flawed system (if people were trained or conditioned to think like that) or it naturally occurred as people meet their bare necessities in life and become more attracted to subjective traits.

I find football fanatics funny.  Things they say like 'my team'.  It isn't your team, you don't own it.  Or 'we did'.  You did nothing-you are not part of the team, they are siphoning your time and hard earned disposable income.
I agree with you there, but you know this does not happen only with football, right?
https://youtu.be/LFicqJFz5R4

The salaries that CEOs get are also shameful.  Those in the trenches that make things happen are the ones who should be earning real money, not the executive board.  especially if they are a screw up.
I suspect you have never worked or interacted with a serious/honest C-level executive. I have interacted in a few projects with some good ones and I can tell these guys work ungodly hours to keep their companies or divisions running.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2018, 08:51:08 am »
Add me to the don't care list. I was brought up in the UK, I've spent my working life traveling the world and now I'm living in Germany. I have a part French part Belgian girlfriend and right now I'm working part time for a Dutch company.

Loyalties can be complicated.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2018, 07:19:16 am »
Interesting the 4 strongest teams in the world are all from Europe. 3 small countries, which prove the team work is much more important than the single players.

I would like Croatia to win just because it would be a huge surprise, and people there would be very drunk for months.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: vinicius.jlantunes, 2N3055

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2018, 10:31:32 am »
Belgium would also be a surprise, never won a WC either.
Would be hard to swallow for us dutch though, all those years so close and now Belgium will take it actually home.
I do wish it for them though.
That is how sports is, some years you have decent, some years good and some years excellent players and team.
So Croatia or Belgium would be nice, still I think France will win this time the cup.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2018, 01:50:52 pm »

As to iTunes, hard to imagine a more stupid and imbecilic piece of software.

They lost rightly so. Yes anything Apple is crap.

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2018, 09:42:45 pm »
Croatia...... PLEASE!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline JRosario

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2018, 09:59:31 pm »
Croatia...... PLEASE!

Croatia had an amazing game today! They are definitely my pick to win it all. It will be a great game on Sunday.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2018, 07:55:28 am »
Croatia...... PLEASE!

Croatia had an amazing game today! They are definitely my pick to win it all. It will be a great game on Sunday.
I agree. Although England started well, they played poorly in the second half. It was like the teams swapped round.

I hope Croatia win and the French don't win again.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf