Author Topic: Flea Market Hauls -- Share what you got!  (Read 3284 times)

Offline JenniferGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Flea Market Hauls -- Share what you got!
« on: February 26, 2017, 08:05:38 pm »
Just created this thread for anyone to share the deals they got at the flea market, thrift store / garage sales.  A thread like this might already exist but I did a rudimentary search and didn't find one.  Items should generally be electronics related :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:09:40 pm by JenniferG »
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flea Market Hauls -- Share what you got!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:08:42 pm »
Today, I picked up a NAD 116 Stereo Preamplifer.  It's missing a knob but got it for $20 :)

Offline W2NAP

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:11:07 pm »
last thing i got in a garage sale was a "export cb" galaxy mirage 88. that was back in 2000. $10

The following users thanked this post: JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:22:22 pm »
Today, I also picked up this vintage Western Electric 302 for $15.  Needs some polishing, a connector at the end and then testing.  Love this old phone :)   

These phones were introduced in the states in 1937 (hence the Art Deco styling, which I adore).   Used well into the 50's, before the 1949 model started to replace it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:11:33 pm by JenniferG »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:34:56 pm »
I've posted this before but it's worth sharing again since I doubt I will ever match this level of thrift store bargain again. 

A few years ago I found these (BK Precision 1541c 40 MHz oscilloscope and a Bel-Merit MT-100  "All-In-One Instrument") at our local Goodwill thrift store for $9.99 each! Both work perfectly.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:45:31 pm by mtdoc »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 08:39:28 pm »
Oh. My. Goodness :)  Congrats :)  I was on the lookout for electronics test gear today!  But instead found stereo pre amp and phone lol.

Btw, I really scored today on that pre-amp.  I can probably sell for $125-200, without the knob or remote :) [Friend said they normally go for upwards of $250 used , but including missing knob and remote.]  Can get about $35 for the phone I guess.  So about $100-150 profit today. Enough to buy that Instek 8251a multimeter I want! :)  Actually might get the HP 3478a instead.

EDIT: Hooked hte pre amp up to my system here in the living at the puter.  Sounds great.  FIIO DAC w/ custom power supply to NAD 116 to DIY LM3886 chipamp.com amp.  Need to plug my DIY Nielson Pass B1 Buffer pre amp back to A/B. I see why people like this preamp though.. Nice and warm and good highs.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:26:57 pm by JenniferG »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 09:49:13 pm »
Got this today for $2 as well.  Has metal sides :>  For over my electronics bench, whenever I get that (built).

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 10:11:19 pm »
Nice haul, Jennifer!

The best I ever did at a thrift store was a ratcheting crimper set up for doing F connectors.  Paid about $5 for it, and have since bought some regular old crimp terminal dies for it to make it more useful. (Admittedly I don't stop at thrift stores nearly enough.)

Got a wooden crate of old tunes for $15 a few years back at a flea market; after digging through the mouse nests and cleaning the years of crud off them I found that there were a few good 6SN7s in the mix, so it was worth it for those alone.

I tend to get most of my stuff from the surplus places in CA when I venture out there for work, the TRW swap meet if I manage to time my visit correctly (I'm not counting that as it's more a dedicated electronics thing and I'm taking this thread to mean more 'general' flea markets), and evilBay, which is the bane of my credit card's existence.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 10:35:16 pm »
Just created this thread for anyone to share the deals they got at the flea market, thrift store / garage sales.  A thread like this might already exist but I did a rudimentary search and didn't find one.  Items should generally be electronics related :)
Not really wanting to steal your thunder Jen but we have this thread where everybody shows off their latest acquisitions:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/

Flea market scores might be worthy.  :-\

Could be a shame to have them spread all over the place ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 10:48:28 pm »
Not really wanting to steal your thunder Jen but we have this thread where everybody shows off their latest acquisitions:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/

Flea market scores might be worthy.  :-\

Could be a shame to have them spread all over the place ?  :-//

Thanks I figured threads like this probably exist on here, but I did do a search and didn't come up with anything.  I suppose if I spent an hour searching, using various search word terms I could of found it.  Or just go ahead and post the thread, and then learn about the other threads.  Sorry I am so newb here:)

Plus I knew it'd be safe to post stuff about stereo amps and phones in this thread :) Figure a thread like that might be for electronics test equipment or something. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:51:35 pm by JenniferG »

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 11:42:08 pm »
The only EE related item I remember getting from a garage sale was a new 1lb roll of Kester Sn 96.3 Ag 3.7 lead free solder for $0.50 or so.

Offline tkuhmone

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:38:09 am »
Spool of new RG213 coaxial cable, many years ago. Not exactly from flea markeat, but a rescued stuff from production line close down... Maybe it can be listed here :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:40:56 am by tkuhmone »
Timo, OH7HMS

Offline KerryW

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 04:25:52 pm »
Phillips PM3267 100MHz 'scope for $10 at a yard sale.  Works fine.

American Optical stereo zoom microscope Model 569 for $25 at a flea market.  Had to disassemble and clean and align the optics.

HP DesignJet 755CM 36" wide inkjet printer/plotter at Goodwill for $7.50.  May never work again.

Drawer units filled with analog and/or digital ICs, 4 1/2 digit DVM, function generator, frequency counter, etc.  It's amazing what you can find for $5 to $25.  It takes a lot of time, but if you love "junking" it is worth it.
One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions
- Adm. Grace Hopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 10:13:36 pm »
Wow those are some NICE deals y'all :)  Jealous! 

Yeah it takes a lot of work.  Most of the time you go to the flea market and end up with nothing at all.  But it's good 1-2 hours of exercise per week at the least :)

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 11:08:38 pm »
I hate thrift stores and flea markeds where I live, it's nothing but worn out clothing and kitchenware. I'm jealous!  >:(

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 11:52:45 pm »
I hate thrift stores and flea markeds where I live, it's nothing but worn out clothing and kitchenware. I'm jealous!  >:(
That's usually what I see. And old outdated electronics not worth anything.  Bunch of junk.  Most of the time I leave with nothing.  But occosionally see something I can use or re-sell for a profit :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf